• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small fleshy lump on nose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My 2 year old sow, Melton, has a fleshy, mole-like lump on her nose. (I can't seem to get a picture as she keeps moving). It is skin colour (black in her case). Doesn't seem to be bothering her. Only about a millimetre or so across. I took her to the vet and he didn't seem to know what it was. It's not scabby or anything. Just skin-like. General check from the vet showed her to be in perfect health. It's gradually appeared over the course of a few months. Anyone seen anything like this or know anything about it?

Hi Abi-snail,

I'm afraid I'm not very experienced in guinea pig medical stuff myself so I'm unable to help but I hope you find some (favourable) answers soon. There are usually lots of very experienced people around who can advise on things like this so hopefully someone will see this soon.

Good luck! :)

Just thinking...it'll probably be difficult to advise without seeing a pic. Could you perhaps tease her to stay still enough for a photo by holding out a bit of her favourite food in front of her nose? Even if she's eating she may stay still enough?

I'll try to bribe her to sit still. Maybe I'm just a bit rubbish at taking pictures.

It does sound a bit like that. I'm ordering the garden cream right now (just in case) from Gorgeous Guineas.

Hi Abi, welcome to the forum. :)

The "fungal nose stripe" (with debate over whether it is fungal or not!) can be quite common. It does tend to be a small stripe on the nose, thickness of the stripe can vary, but the skin itself appears almost 'stitched' or 'bobbled'.

It's worth trying to treat with the Galen's Garden Green Cream or GG Lavendar & Myrrh, but if there's no improvement then it can usually be safely left. I have one small sow who has a mild case of it, but as it does not spread nor worsen over time, there's little point in doing more than monitoring it!

Just wondering how Melton is doing.

Whether or not it's fungal or otherwise, I hope he's fine and any skin/nose issue isn't bothering him (or you!) any more :)

Galen's Green Cream

Thanks for your concern. The lumpy nose never seemed to bother her and she still seems unconcerned by it. I got some Galen's Green Cream through the post on Friday and I've been applying it twice daily. Melton doesn't seem impressed with me poking her nose and leaving it covered in sticky goo (the cream) but hopefully it'll help. Haven't seen any change but I'm reassured by your comments that it's probably not serious. Generally, in herself, she seems absolutely fine, as does her sister Mowbray. I'm sure she's loving all the extra leaves she's getting as a treat to say sorry for putting the cream on. I'll have to try taking a photo again. How do I post a photo on here?

How to put photo on here?

I've managed to get a vaguely clear photo of Mowbray's nose. But how do I put a picture on here?

Melton's nose is no better

I've been using the Galen's Green Cream for several weeks now and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. I expect this is because Melton washes her face throughly almost as soon as I put it on. She's not at all impressed with me trying to hold her still and putting this goo on her nose. As soon as she hears me open the pot she starts wriggling and trying to get away. I hope it is ok if left. I'm undecided about what to do. Should I keep putting the cream on even though it stresses her out and doesn't make a difference (because she takes it straight off), or should I leave it. Maybe I should pay the vet another visit (not that they had any idea what it was)?

You can upload a photo to an image hosting site such as Photobucket, and then copy and paste the IMG tag into your post, or you can attach a photo by clicking on the "insert image" button when you reply to a post.

How long have you been applying the cream for? If you feel the cream isn't helping and you've given it a good length of time to work (i.e. minimum 7 days) then you may as well stop applying it. If it's not having any effect at all, then whatever the problem is is not responding to the cream, so if the problem skin has not spread anywhere then it's quite unlikely to spread once you stop applying the cream. (Does that make sense?!)

Photos of Melton's nose lump

I just took these photos a few moments ago. What do you think?

009.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

I see what you mean about it being a bit like a lump. It is in the right place for the "nose stripe" mentioned earlier in the thread though. I'd be inclined to leave it and monitor closely for a bit - if it was a condition that is going to spread, I would imagine it would have done so by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back