1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here

Are tea tree skin creams safe for guinea pigs?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by missy, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missy

missy Adult Guinea Pig

Hi all,

I've recently heard that tea tree oil shouldn't be used on guinea pigs, so I'm wondering if a tea tree cream/ointment is ok to use.

In the past I've occasionally used Johnson's Small Animal Tea Tree Skin Cream on my pigs, when they've had tiny patches of dry skin or for a soothing treat on the soles of their feet. This particular product specifically states that it's suitable for guinea pigs but I thought I'd check here before using it again.

Thanks
  2. alcesterpigs

alcesterpigs New Member

I no longer use Tea Tree Oil on my pigs.
    I did get good results using it to treat pigs with skin problems. However, there were a few cases where pigs died about a week after treatment. I cannot prove that the TTO was in anyway implicated in their deaths, maybe it was coincidence.
    I now use other forms of treatment.
    I have not used TT ointment to treat any pigs. I assume that it is safe to use, the manufacturers would not make the claim unless they were absolutely certain of their facts.
  3. missy

missy Adult Guinea Pig

I understand what you're saying. So technically/legally it should be safe.....but I'd personally give far more credence to anecdotal evidence from an extremely experienced guinea pig owner rather than a manufacturer's claims (hence me asking here!)

I bought this before I discovered Gorgeous Guineas. I'll stop using this cream and see what alternatives they have instead.....unless you can suggest a suitable alternative.

Thank you :)
  4. Laura-CCC4

Laura-CCC4 Senior Guinea Pig

Good creams for treating sores/lesions or dry skin include Bepanthen (baby nappy rash ointment), Aloe Vera ointment/gel, or anything from Gorgeous Guineas!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.