Welcome to Our Community

You are currently reading the forum as a guest. Feel free to sign up today and get access to all our great features.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. Have your piggies been a resident at TEAS? If so please see this thread here
  4. It's gonna be hot, find out how to keep your piggies cool and safe here
  5. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here
  6. Please check out our fantastic Syringe Feeding guide here

Baby Shampoo?

Discussion in 'Guinea Pig Chat' started by Kiki42, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiki42

Kiki42

Just wondering if you could use baby shampoo for guinea pig baths or dog/puppy shampoo. If so, what one would you recommend first? The baby shampoo or the dog/puppy shampoo?
  2. Sian

Sian

As far as I know you should really only use proper guinea pig shampoo. Have you looked on here: www.gorgeousguineas.com

I've not ever bathed my piggies as I haven't had the need but from what I have read on here it is not wise to use baby shampoo. Don't know about the puppy shampoo but I expect someone will soon let you know about it.
  3. karenrgpr

karenrgpr

Baby and puppy shampoos are stuffed with chemicals- even some of the approved guinea ones are. Gorgeous Guineas use as few chemicals as possible.
  4. Kiki42

Kiki42

5. flm1977

flm1977

Gorgeous Guineas is a website rather than a brand name
    if you have a look here: http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/
    you will see all their lovvely stuff. Just click on the link to go shop and you will see the products
  6. daftscotslass

daftscotslass Moderator Staff Member

Big no-no on the baby shampoo (I know some people who won't even use it on their babies as it's so drying).

Gorgeous guineas can only be bought from their site (see above) and she will ship internationally for a very reasonable price.
  7. Loopylou

Loopylou

Agreed! I wouldn't use it on babies OR myself! Most are really checmically and drying!
    I use gorgeous guineas shampoo and I like that.
  8. petticoat74

petticoat74

No no no...I wouldn't put baby shampoo on my piggies! It is not good, I did once YEARS ago, when not much else available and my poor Katie, she did suffer, it dried her skin out terribly... infact, some of the skin came off... :o :'( so please don't use it... and dogs shampoo is far too powerful, if I need to bathe mine, I use piggie stuff or hexocil fro the vet... :)
  9. cavy love

cavy love

i just looooove gorgeous guineas and it is soo good they feel so soft and look the buisiness! they also help with skin problems and smell yummy! they come really quickly too! :) :smitten:
  10. Kiki42

Kiki42

O my! Consider me warned ;) I will never use baby shampoo ever especially if it makes skin dry out and fall off :'( Thanks everyone for the replies. I will look into Gorgeous Giuneas Shampoo :D
  11. Pumpkinpiggie

Pumpkinpiggie New Member

I am another mum that would not use it on my children/babies too drying on scalp GG shampoo here for the piggies :)
  12. Kiki42

Kiki42

OK, not to be a bother, but I read that you can use hydrogen peroxide to remove urine stains, which I am attempting to remove. I read it on this site:

http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/care.html#Grooming

Is this true? Has anyone ever attempted this? Is there something else you can use to remove urine stains besides GG?
  13. LMT76

LMT76

is there any shampoo from the uk tht i can use?
  14. daftscotslass

daftscotslass Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean urine stains on the guinea pig? I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide - there's too much of a risk of irritation. The best shampoo I've found to make whites whiter on piggies is Lice n Easy

LMT76 - www.gorgeousguineas.com is based in the UK.
  15. CAM

CAM Junior Guinea Pig

Oh dear, I used a mild baby shampoo on my guineas on the weekend as 2 guinea pig books that I have (both from pets at home) recommend to do so! :( I didn't us much though, so hopefully they'll be ok, I'll have to keep an eye on them. The books say that you should bath them no more that once a month, is that right?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.