• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can Guinea Pigs catch human colds/flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Heart

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have a tenant in our house and he seems to be catching colds all the time, I guess from the customers he serves at his work. I am concerned about my Guinea Pigs health, can they catch anything from him? I'm paranoid about them getting sick from these viruses he brings here.

Thanks.

I believe they sorta can and can't. But if I am feeling ill I make sure I wash my hands before feeding them and I also try not to handle them as much tbh

Yeah I thought about the handling, so I won't be letting anyone handle them if they have a cold. I'm just afraid of all the sneezing and coughing, I'm really paranoid lol

I was worried about this and asked my vet who said no. I do as hanwombat said and don't handle them as much. We had our guineas in our bedroom for a while and I seemed to have never ending colds. They were fine, even with sneezing etc in the room a lot. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back