1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here

can guinea pigs eat..

Discussion in 'Food' started by Tim&Tam, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim&Tam

Tim&Tam New Member

brussel sprouts?-c
  2. weelynne83

weelynne83 New Member

i tried my two girls with them - but they weren't keen.
  3. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator Staff Member

It's not really recommended in more than very small quantities occasionally - they are one of the cabbage varieties that cause problems with bloat; most piggies won't like them anyway!
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. Glynis

Glynis Forum Buddy

i'm not to keen on them.........or cabbage, as it can make them a bit gassy and i've had friends have bad experiences with them....... :...
    that's just my personal point of view tho

you might like to look thru this list that Laura has compiled :)
    lots of info on what foods and combo's they should eat but it's very informative

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30297
  5. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator Staff Member

As long as you you feed these cabbage varieties in smaller quantities as part of a bowl of mixed veg, these cabbages are safe to feed to healthy guinea pigs regularly: broccoli, sweetheart/pointed cabbage, savoy, cauli, bok/pak choi. Occasionally: Spring greens and kale - like spinach, kale is very high in calcium and should only be fed about once a month.

If you have a piggy with a tender digestive system, cabbages are the first thing to go!

Here is a list of veg they can eat: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42
  6. Teresa J

Teresa J Adult Guinea Pig

Mine seem to like the outer leaves of sprouts but dont eat the actual sprout..............

Teresa xx
  7. BellasMummy

BellasMummy Senior Guinea Pig

My girls love sprouts. I like to buy them loose rather than in a bag as it saves on waste as my 2 don't get through a whole bag but apart from christmas time they don't sell them loose anywhere!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.