1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest Voting is now open for our Chooken Legs Photo Competition, please vote now here Thanks to everyone that entered you raised an amazing £70.50 for piggies in care at TEAS Dental Sanctuary!
  3. Last chance to become a Forum Donator for this forthcoming year. The forum relies on donations to cover hosting and software costs, any donation is gratefully received. If you want to find out more visit this Thread

coughing/ choking

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Midge&Panda, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midge&Panda

Midge&Panda Adult Guinea Pig

Now we all now piggies like their food but is it possible for them to eat too quickly and get food stuck in their throats.? One of my little ones Maisie has on the rare occasion (when she's been eating) has been making a sound as if she is trying to clear her throat. Its sounds like a cross between a cough and a sneeze. As I said before I've only just noticed her doing it and it is a rare occurrence. Any ideas or a trip to the vets. Otherwise I have no health concerns with her she is doing everything a piggie should be doing. Thanks.

2. Cavy Corner

Cavy Corner New Member

I have noticed this occassionally here if some of the guineas are being given their favourite foods ( like cucumbers yesterday) and get really excited and try to gobble it all up too quickly.
    Could it be this?

3. Midge&Panda

I'm hoping it is, I will just keep an ear and eye open and if it gets worse then definatly a trip to the vets. she was doing it this morning while eating lettuce maybe because it is quite soft and she can shovel a lot more into her mouth at once, i will take note of when she eats her other veggies and see if she does it with the harder ons like carrot or sweetcorn. thanks

4. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

My pigs do it too, when they are trying to eat too quickly. :))

5. Romily

Romily Adult Guinea Pig

Sign of a greedy piggy!

6. Carly and co

Carly and co New Member

One of mine does it every day, the one time he was gasping for air for ages, i thought he was going to be starved of oxygen, it really scared me, he eats really quick, he loves his food!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  7. Joey&Gizmo

Joey&Gizmo Adult Guinea Pig

I think its called Greedy pig syndrome, as i have one pig here that does it too :))

8. Midge&Panda

Seems like a fequent occurance amongst our little friends. :))

9. helen105281

Forum Donator 2014/15

Gertie does it most meal times and a couple of the little ones have started now too.

10. Claire W

Forum Donator 2014/15

Definitely greedy pig syndrome rolleyes

11. The Pog Nation

The Pog Nation Junior Guinea Pig

Bramble just did it right in front of me. Munching on hay at the time. She's just a greedy wee pog!rolleyes

12. kedwards

kedwards New Member

My little Earnie does this occasionally too and I think it's definitely a case of Gredy Pig Syndrome! Love the phrase! X

13. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

I have that regularly with somepig trying to bolt down more than their fair share!

14. MrsWilsoncroft

MrsWilsoncroft Adult Guinea Pig

My piggy sometimes does it too usually after drinking from his water bottle too quickly. Its kind of a cute sound like coughing or sneezing like a baby x

15. SDRB_TP

SDRB_TP Junior Guinea Pig

Don't panic. I have had this many times before, as one of my girls loves to scoff the food down as fast as possible so the others can't get to it. As you probably know, Guinea Pig's only have a 1 way digestive system, so if they get, for instance, a piece of broccoli stuck in their throat, the only way it can go is down.
    Now, what you have seen is called Hiccups. Yep, hiccups. But of course much more vigorous than the human kind. It's where the body wants to be sick, but obviously isn't possible. It sounds like a hiccup/sneeze/cough, and can happen and repeat itself up to 8 times in a row! Sometimes they rock back and forth, and can even fall over by the sheer force of it. All you can do it talk to them calmly, and don't panic. It should pass over. :)

16. tylerina

tylerina Junior Guinea Pig

Yep - my 2 older boars have done it quite often - usually when cucumber is on offer!

17. Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig

One of my boys does this, almost like a cute baby cough. Scared the hell out of me the first time he did it and began chopping his food up to a near pulp mallethead Every time he has a drink from the bottle too he gives us a little cough but I don't worry too much now (think he likes attention as I always go over to him and make a fuss ^)) rolleyes

18. Guinea pigs <3

Senior Guinea Pig

My girls do this too, I used to worry that they were coughing but it is only when they are eating! They like to munch their veggies too quickly rolleyes

19. Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig

Bounty is always coughing! he drinks his water far to quick rolleyes

20. Mamaguineapig

Mamaguineapig Junior Guinea Pig

I actually noticed one of my piggies doing that for the first time today .... He was greedily eating cucumber at the time .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.