1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Transport Assistance Needed - Cumbria to Northampton. Click here for details.

Do guinea pigs get fleas?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Romeo Flahoy, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romeo Flahoy

Romeo Flahoy Junior Guinea Pig

Hi,
    My two guinea pigs have started scratching and itching like cats or dogs do and I was wondering if it may be fleas. If so how do I treat for fleas? Is there a multiple purpose lotion/drops which kill lice, fleas, mites etc... All in one go? What do people use on their little ones? Many thanks.

2. Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig

The simple answer is no, piggies do not get fleas. They do get mites, lice and occasionally ticks.

A treatment for skin parasites is Xeno 450 (or Xeno50 for younger/smaller pigs). You can get this online or through your vet - I would not recommend using alternative products available in petshops as these are far less effective and can cause prolonged suffering.

Fungal skin infections often have similar symptoms to parasitic problems and unless you are experienced in identifying the cause of their scratching I would advise going to a vet to diagnose and prescribe the correct treament.

HTH

Suzy x

3. Elz.

Elz. New Member

errrm i find that my piggies get fleas because when the cats stalk them the fleas from them go to my guineas sooo yep i use spot on and you can buy it at many good pet stores and i works really well and my piggs dont really mind having them have it on them.

4. Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig

As cat fleas are species specific they would only be on your pigs for a short time, my advice would be to either treat your cats routinely for fleas or if they are not your cats to protect your pigs from them more. Be stalked is no fun for a prey animal such as guinea pigs.

You may find that if you have stray cats using your garden that where they spend a lot of time has become infested with fleas and they will jump on anything that moves in order to try to feed and reproduce. Treating the cats won't get rid of the fleas if you don't treat the area as well. If they are your neighbours animals perhaps a quiet word about spot on treatments would help your pigs and their cats.

Suzy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.