1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. Have your piggies been a resident at TEAS? If so please see this thread here
  4. It's gonna be hot, find out how to keep your piggies cool and safe here
  5. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here
  6. Please check out our fantastic Syringe Feeding guide here

dragging back legs

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by amy308, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amy308

amy308 New Member

hi,
    just had a phonecall from my boyfriend saying his guinea pig is dragging his back legs along and can't really walk properly, he said he's making small squeaking noises when he's trying to move around. Out of hours vets is going to cost an extortionate amount, £125 just for consultation. Does anyone have idea what this could be? Obviously we don't want to make him wait any longer for treatment if he is in pain but it is seriously out of our price range and they only vets that are open will only see him to be euthanised.
  2. zombieprincess

zombieprincess Adult Guinea Pig

Peterborough ... Huntingdon. Some where in the mid
    Contain him so he cant move, keep him warm, have your boyfriend feel his knee joints, if they are lumpy/inflamed or feel swollen and hard, and he sqeeks then they are touched/squeezed a bit it is possible he has arthritis. As them my old piggy became really bad with it, all he could do is drag his legs behind him. And it treatable with a small dose of metacam (painkiller for cats & dogs)

I am not a vet so please please take him tomorrow at the very least!
  3. Amanda1801

Amanda1801 Senior Guinea Pig

Where are you located? Someone may be able to recommend somewhere.

Alternatively, Companion care have surgeries in the larger pets at home stores and I believe they don't charge additional for a Sunday, although that's just what I've heard. I don't think their vets are spectacular (I've never used them myself) but they may at least be able to give some pain relief until your vet is open tomorrow.
  4. zombieprincess

zombieprincess Adult Guinea Pig

Peterborough ... Huntingdon. Some where in the mid
    You're right Amanda, companion care are open sundays, i used them at uni and was actually pleasantly surprised at how good their vets were!
  5. Lil-Ninnibig

Lil-Ninnibig Teenage Guinea Pig

If you really cant get him to a vet keep him confined to a small space so he doesny go dragging those legs around to much and breaking the skin resulting in open sores. Keep him warm and ensure hes dry as if he cannot move he will end up sat in his urine and faeces, not nice :0 , make sure hes eating and drinking plenty and thats all you can really do until you get him to a vet but make sure he gets to a vet asap..
  6. fluff

fluff New Member

these symptons point towards him having calcium deficency or being dropped and his spine damaged, i would go for calcium deficency.
  7. AudioHeart

AudioHeart Senior Guinea Pig

Hope everything goes well at the vets tomorrow, keeping paws and fingers crossed xxx
  8. Abi_nurse

Abi_nurse Adult Guinea Pig

Your piggie at the very least needs pain relief, otherwise its a welfare issue. Please see a vet asap. As others have suggested PAH vets, or giving us your location to advise on a vets?

x.
  9. TAN

TAN Adult Guinea Pig

I have read this also in my Piggy Potions book by Peter Gurney - it is also on line some-where - might be worth finding it and printing it out and taking with you to the vets - as it is quite specific on the calcium dosages - if that is indeed the problem. - good luck
  10. amy308

amy308 New Member

Coco has a vets appointment at 10.40. He seemed to perk up a bit yesterday, he's been eating and drinking as normal, obviously having to take the water bottle to him instead of him going to the water bottle as he's still not moving too well.
  11. JayneG

JayneG Teenage Guinea Pig

Good luck. Let us know how it goes x
  12. Guinea pig slave

Guinea pig slave Senior Guinea Pig

Sending lots of healing vibes and hugs to the little man x>>
  13. amy308

amy308 New Member

Vet

Amy's boyfriend here. Took coco to the vets, the vet said that it could've been sue to a stroke or a blood clot in the brain. He was given a steroid shot. He's perked up and is almost back to normal. Poor little bugger, he's such a trooper!
  14. Amanda1801

Amanda1801 Senior Guinea Pig

I'm pleased he's doing well! Hope he continues to improve too! Thanks for the update :)
  15. RabbitFan

RabbitFan Junior Guinea Pig

I hope Coco continues to improve. What a gutsy little man he is. xx>>>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.