• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

dry flakey skin on top of foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tab

Reaction score
my piggy has one of his feet that is dry and flakey crusty skin on top, does any

body know what it is please?

i have been rubbing a little savlon cream into it and it dose look a lot better

but the fur has all come off that foot where the skin was all dry.

is savlon cream ok to use?

would mange appear only on one foot?

Last edited:
In my experience Mange doesn't go flakey but fungal does. Mange appears to me to blacken the skin slightly with hair loss. Of course it could be different in other pigs. Not sure about savlon, I'm sure it is though in the back of my mind I remember reading it was, hope someone can advise.

Maybe email gorgeous guineas and ask there.

its was a white flakey crust but the fur is white on that foot too,

but the flakey skin has all gone now, but so has the fur! leaving a nice fresh

pink skin i think the worst is over.

could this be fungal?

I had that with george just after I got him he has white fur but he had a bald foot which had a few small scabs and lots of whuite flaky skin, the rest of him was fine and his coat was still lovely and shiny and thick. I took him to the vets who treated him for mites and he was much better afterwards. He said it was caused by excessive cleaning due to mites. he was basically stratching his body because of the itchy mites and then cleaning his feet after rather excessively afterwards with his teeth causing chapping and a few scabs. I did watch him after the vet visit and he did do a stratch followed by cleaning his feet and then repeated this a few times in a row. look for them stratching and if you think they are doing it quite a bit, this could be the problem.

Saffron has had this since she was 3 weeks old, I've never managed to completely cure it - but then she is "one of those pigs" where she's got very sensitive skin anyway!

Daktarin Cream is another option - as is Gorgeous Guineas Lavender & Myrrh lotion. It could be a parasitic problem, but from what you describe I would treat for fungal unless other symptoms appear which suggest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back