• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fatty Eye (Pea Eye)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Molly, has a fatty eye. I have only had one piggy that had this before and that with Ellie, who funnily enough was a short haired, similiar coloured pig, and was quite a weight. Molly is now 1kg, a weight gain of over 200g from getting her in November! rolleyes:)

I am sure you have checked that there isn't obstruction in the eye.

To my knowledge it doesn't cause them any problems.

4 before separating a baby boar from the mother and other sows in the litter is about the maximum, 3 weeks is safer.
If novice owners leave it until 6-8 it is no surprise that so many gps grow up with problems resultinfg from in/cross-breeding.

That site probably wasnt the best example.

My sow with fatty eye has a tumour in her respiratory tract so it coulkd be linked?

Lou our Sully had this and he was fine, i was careful tho if i had him outside so the eye area did NOT get sunburnt :(
Lots of healing wheeeeeeeeeeks and loves for Jasper xx>>>xx>>>xx>>>xx>>>xx>>>xx>>>

Thanks Glynis. Peter has just gone to work for an hour bloomin meeting on his day off! So will snap Jasper when he comes back! Any excuse to see the gorgeous one again! :))

Thanks Glynis. Peter has just gone to work for an hour bloomin meeting on his day off! So will snap Jasper when he comes back! Any excuse to see the gorgeous one again! :))

awwwww yeah i'll love seeing his cute face again drooldroolx)

arghhhhhh i feel for Pete i know just how he feels i'm having to go to work tomorrow and it's our long weekend :p and i've bought home work :p

JB, could you tell us more about the tumour in the respiratory tract. Sounds like a vet. diagnosis!
Whilst it is impossible to say so with 100% certainty, the chance of there being a link between fatty eye and a respiratory tract tumour is so unlikely that it an be discounted.

Yes would be interesting to know more. :)

Camera is just charging up! Battery was flat! {:|

JB, could you tell us more about the tumour in the respiratory tract. Sounds like a vet. diagnosis!
Whilst it is impossible to say so with 100% certainty, the chance of there being a link between fatty eye and a respiratory tract tumour is so unlikely that it an be discounted.

Ok basically she got a URI and was treated with Baytril which didnt touch the infection. Then she had a course of Baytril injections over 5 days which cleared it up. Then two momths later the raspy breathing came back and didnt respond to any antibiotic.
She was admitted and the vet had a look down her throat under g/a to see if there was a blockage, he found a growth.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

I was just think aloud really, that she has respiratory issues and fatty eye. So could they be linked.

No link.
How did the vet manage to look down her throat, the aperture is only 2-3 mm in diameter? What is the proposed treatment?

No link.
How did the vet manage to look down her throat, the aperture is only 2-3 mm in diameter? What is the proposed treatment?

I dont know how. I wasnt there. She is not being treated and has had it for over a year. I am monitoring her weight and general health.

You just have to be carefull about making guesses as you could really make someone panic about something that maybe is not even wrong :)

If someone was seriously worried about their guinea pigs fatty eye then i would hope they would consult a vet opposed to read a forum.

Please accept my apologies for contributing to this thread. I wont do so again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back