1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Transport Assistance Needed - Cumbria to Northampton. Click here for details.

Fluid intake - how much should our guinea pig's be drinking?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by flintstones, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

Fluid is a big thing for Patrick and I'm convinced Patrick's stone formation accelerated when I stopped his addition fluids.

I've been doing some reading and was intrigued to read the PDSA state a guinea pig should drink 100ml's per kg!

Source: http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advice/guinea-pigs/diet#water-for-your-guinea-pigsnbsp

How much water should my guinea pigs drink each day?

The average amount of water a guinea pig drinks is 100 to 200ml per kg bodyweight per day

I had read previously 100ml's per kg on GL - in stone prevention so for Patrick I aim to get between 60 - 90 ml's into him daily as he weighs 900grams.

My healthy guinea pig's don't drink anything near this!

I was curious to know people's experiences who have had bladder stones removed - are your bladder pig's big drinkers?

2. CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig

bump - I really dont know but am interested to hear the opinions on this.

I dont have any piggies with bladder stone problems but one of mine (Rolo) definately drinks more than the others....

x

3. Angeladeedah

Angeladeedah Adult Guinea Pig

Sorry, no experience with bladder stones but I would find it very difficult for anyone to state how much a piggy should drink. Like with any animal, they will drink as much as they require - as long as there is water for them to drink and they are not too ill that they can't get to the water. They will also get a lot of fluid from the vegetables/fruit which can't be quantified.

4. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

Oddly enough today I was reading up on human stones, and it seem's even in humans water is a big thing for people suffering with Bladder and Kidney problem especially stones.

My Patrick most certainly doesn't drink enough although I would love to quantify what's in his vegetables :)) - I know it's not possible rolleyes!

5. Joey&Gizmo

Joey&Gizmo Adult Guinea Pig

As you know Jo, Gizmo just had his stone removed and when i went back to the vets today my vet said that fluids is the key (as you already know) and he said to aim for at least 40mls a day and if he will take more that will be great. So i have started and so far hes taken 20mls today, I'm trying to split it up so i dont overload him. I'm going to continue to do this from now on.

x

6. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

Initially well P was poorly I just flooded all his veg with water but now, well for the last 4 weeks I've been getting about 70ml's - 90 ml's into him.

Have you tried Pearl Barley Sam? Patrick loves it but only a fresh batch! x

7. MandFpiggies

MandFpiggies Junior Guinea Pig

I'm really interested in this thread, as my little girlie in isolation, is drinking around 50mls each day, which I thought was a lot, simply because the other two together hardly move the level on their drinker, to the point that I thought there was something wrong with their drinker, so I swapped them over just to see, but it made no difference at all. They do get their veg freshly washed and then thrown straight in to them so it has lots of water on it, but that is the same for everyone, so it shouldn't make any odds.
    I'm keen to see where this thread goes!

8. Niki

Senior Guinea Pig

None of my 3 sows who had stones were big drinkers. Thankfully the remaining 2 have not had a re-occurance.
    It is thought that pigs who do drink a lot are less likely to suffer with stones which makes sense in my head. :)

9. Strawberries

Strawberries Junior Guinea Pig

I'm not comfortable giving advice because I have only had piggies for a few months, but I will report an observation, and try to make it short. If you want more info, just let me know.

I started feeding my piggies dehydrated veggies as treats because I saw dehydrated veggies in the food mix I initially bought for them. (I dehydrate my own veggies, carrots, mixed veggies, etc.) they went absolutely WILD for them! So of course as they begged for more, and more, and I was teaching them to get comfortable eating from my hand, so I started feeding them some regularly through the day...maybe like 10 pieces each a day. I noticed they were going through a whole 300ml water bottle in about 12 hours between the two of them, then they started getting soft poo, so I realized what was happening, and they are now cut off from the dehydrated veggies, except for maybe one or two kernels a day.

Soooooo, I don't know what any other ramifications are of giving them dehydrated veggies, but I do know it makes them THIRSTY! Since the veggies don't have any liquid in them, they must suck all the moisture out of the piggies mouth and such...anyway, maybe it is bad for them because of this, but it definitely increases how much they drink. I did google if it is OK for humans to eat dehydrated veggies without first rehydrating them, and I found several sites that said yes it was OK, you could eat them as snacks...I guess they would make us thirsty too :)

Even if I give them just a few pieces, within minutes they are at the water bottle.

You can dehydrate veggies in the oven, just google 'how to dehydrate vegetables'

10. Popcorning Poppy

Popcorning Poppy New Member

Just curious has your vet recommened you pump all this water into him?

11. Glynis

Forum Buddy

Interesting subject Joanne........
    Onyx has never been a big drinker where as Velvet loves her water!
    Thanks to your thread on Patrick i'm making sure Onyx gets more water and will continue for her life now x>>x>>x>>x>>

Give Mr. P some loves from us all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

12. Wilbur&Otis

Wilbur&Otis Junior Guinea Pig

This is really interesting. I've been concerned that my boys hardly touch their drinks. I have a bottle with a vit C supplement that makes the water look like fruit juice (as this is what they were used to when I got them) but also have a ceramic dish of fresh water in their cage. Both hardly get touched! I'm sure the few mils the bottle goes down is just from where its dripping. They eat a lot of watery veg like cucumber but their lack of drinking does worry me incase of stones etc. :{

13. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

I'm not pumping any water into him, he drinks voluntarily and yes of course my vet is aware, My Partrick has a problem with crystal formation so needs the additional fluids!

14. Joey&Gizmo

Joey&Gizmo Adult Guinea Pig

I have tried it before the pearl barley but he didnt like it at all! He's such a fussy pig so I'm going to stick with the water and give it to him in a few sittings,but I'm sure that i will try the pearl barley again.

I have been advised by my vet to syringe Gizmo at least 40mls of water each day and like Jo i have had many problems relating to the bladder with Gizmo and the vet advised to give him fluids each day to ensure the bladder is clearing, by the water flushing out the bacteria or crystals that could be forming in his bladder. If the condition are right and they are left in the bladder they then bond together to make a stone, i really dont want this to happen again so shall be following my vets advise and shall be giving the extra water.

15. Poppy'sMum

Poppy'sMum Adult Guinea Pig

Mine all take a syringe or two of water every day in addition to having the bottle available at all times. My water is filtered. I've had 2 pigs with small stones in the past, both female so luckily they were easily extracted by hand. After that I was recommended by the CCT to give them extra water every day :)

16. chelle83

chelle83 Junior Guinea Pig

this thread has helped me also. Dudley drinks like a fish but Yuri hardly touches the water bottle. When I first introduced him I was a little worried as he wasn't drinking but he seems happy and healthy enough so I've just accepted he doesn't drink as much.

17. Choccy

Choccy New Member

Thanks for this great thread.

I've actually had to take Choccy to the vet last week, as he's had crystal formation in his urine, which caused him a lot of pain when I heard him squeaking and found blood in his urine. Poor thing.

One of the tips given by the vet was to ensure to keep his water levels up.

I, then, noticed (on Monday) he doesn't like to drink water, and while I feed him cucumber to increase his water content, he would maybe 'sip' once a day. And on renewing his water bottle, it was barely touched, which made his problems worse, since he would have quite sludgy urine.

However, when I bring the water bottle to him, he drinks lots, but doesn't seem to go to the bottle by himself... (And even enjoys the taste of pearl barley water that I brew up to help him, but just doesn't like water...) Maybe he just wanted a guinea slave/butler to bring him his water?

18. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

Sounds like my Patrick although water isn't good enough for him and he requests fresh batches of pearl barley twice daily I even get up at the same time at the weekend as when I work so not to upset his routine!

I can never go on holiday again! X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.