1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Transport Assistance Needed - Cumbria to Northampton. Click here for details.

Grease Glands ..

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by BecklenGPRescue, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BecklenGPRescue

BecklenGPRescue New Member

Today is noticed Henriettas grease gland is yuck and stinks :{ what would case this to appear all of a sudden?

2. BecklenGPRescue

Just bathed her behind to ease the smell and get rid of the greasyness :{

Then noticed her bits are swollen, tried to get pics but its hard on your own with a wriggly piggy lol so apologies as they are crap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BecklenGPRescue

is it me or does this look male? but when i 'press' nothing pops out :))

4. Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig

Looks like "Henrietta" may actually be a "Henry"! :))

5. Ryli

Ryli New Member

Being new to guinea pigs can I ask what is the grease gland and where is it mallethead

6. nutmeg

nutmeg New Member

It's on the rump, if you follow the line of the back down towards the bottom, you will feel it probably about where a tail should be. No idea why, or what for though! They need washing sometimes (you will know when, lol) xx

7. BecklenGPRescue

hmmm certainly looks that way .. sure she looked girl before now and am sure Helen has also looked at her bits lol
    he/she is currently in with my girls ani & abi but the never has been any mounting or mating behaviour apart from He/she having an odd grumble.

As I say though when I press nothing willy like pops out, i am very confuddled :{

8. The grease gland is the caudal gland,it is used for scent markiing in boars.Some boys secrete more than others and it can cause a blacky sticky mess.The best way to clean it is to use warm olive oil on a make up remover pad.Let the oil soak in for 10 minutes or so,then the grease should come off easier.If the grease is very stubborn it is safe to use Swarfega but this must be washed off thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
    Sows can get an eruption from the gland,but not very often and not to the extent that boys do.
    This looks male to me.You need to find out though because if it is a sow,with swollen genitals you need to monitor the urinary flow because she might have a renal stone blocking the ureter.

Maryh

9. stargrrlclaire

stargrrlclaire New Member

looks very male! i'd go to the vets as its worrying not being able to get a penis to come out, and its very worrying if its a girl

10. Goldie

Goldie Adult Guinea Pig

At first look at the photos, she looks like she has a penis to me also! :{

Usually grease glands only appear on boars too! And sows do not tend to have the strong scent that boars do.

Also could the swollen bits actually be testicles. Not trying to worry you, but are you sure she isn't a he?

11. My sow used to have a problem with her grease gland, towards the end of her life. She was definately a she - lol :))

12. Briony_S

Senior Guinea Pig

hopefully she is a she! I have only boars and I can't get their bits to pop out either though! I tried to check to be sure but to no avail I know george is definately a he as the lady in petshop made it pop out and I saw it :)) They both lok the same as each other though so not worried!

Good luck - maybe you should take to the vets for sexing - just to make sure!

13. Goldie

Goldie Adult Guinea Pig

If you press very gently just above the penis area, the penis should pop out. Gently though! :)

14. Farquhar

Senior Guinea Pig

I have pigy who has a problem in the pivate area and I have develped a technique to locat the problem area. I wrap the piggy in towel and the put him in the nook of my arm. I then can have better acces to the area and with the piggy being secure it makes things easier. Simply you the use two fingers to push the area at the base of the penis and then pully the skin done, You should then see the penis appear immediately but keep pulling down gently to expose the entire penis, This seems very undignified for the poor pigy but mines just lets me get on with if and seems unperturbed after is indignified examination

15. Tracyxx

Tracyxx Adult Guinea Pig

This is definately a male guinea pig. Sows' grease glands don't often get smelly/greasy. Is he living with another guinea pig? If he's "excited" his grease gland will be worse, also hence the swollen "bits"!

16. Niki

Senior Guinea Pig

Girls can have dirty grease glands, i had a sow who had one that needed cleaning every so often. Am i the only one who can see a definite Y shape? I also have to say none of my boys' testicles protrude from the body like this - it just doesn't look like "quite right" :{

17. Hels

Hels Adult Guinea Pig

The Mill Hotel, Gretna, in the peaceful Scottish
    My Mistake.

Henrietta is a Henry............................

I cannot believe I have made this fundamental mistake in sexing but I have. I did have slight concerns when I went to collect Henrietta as despite being assured she was a sow - obviously I went on to check in any case as is standard practice - on checking - I felt no testicles at all and furthermore - she did have a very loose, flappy looking vagina.

I obviously tried to extract a penis but to absolutely no avail. I have sexed many many piggies and have never got it wrong in an adult.

I hold up my hands in this case of course.......................I am terribly sorry to Becky for this and we have spoken personally.

Any vet bills incurred by Becky and Mark will be paid by myself in the event - which unfortunately is highly likely - of her darling girls now being pregnant.

Becky may foster Henrietta/Henry until we can pair him with a baby boar and rehome.

Helen.
    x

18. BecklenGPRescue

Helen I really dont blame you for this, I looked several times too and yesterday took me 6 attempts of extracting his willy, Took 2 hands to do it to persuade it down and out.
    Since putting him with the girls there has never been any signs of him mounting or mating the girls what I've seen and been in alot, so fingers crossed he's lost his urge or even infertile :)

Helen your still my bestest piggy friend [​IMG]

19. Hels

Hels Adult Guinea Pig

The Mill Hotel, Gretna, in the peaceful Scottish
    Bless you Becky - I will stop beating myself up now @)

20. MemberX

MemberX New Member

Totally agree with Becky! Helen you're fab and this is just a one off. These things happen! Milo has a funny willy (I hope he forgives me saying that) and looks female but obviously he isn't haha!

Fingers crossed for the girls. How long have they been with Henry? What about neutering him to live with the girls? I bet he thought all his Christmas' had come at once!

(((hugs))) x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.