1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grinding teeth

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Hannahlg1986, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannahlg1986

Hannahlg1986 New Member

My rubean who will be 3 years old at the end of the month. He has allready grinded his teeth togather.

He moves his bottom 2 teeth from side to side he has allready done this from as far back as i can remmber. He has allways eating fine.

Some of you may remmber my post i made when rubeans 2 bottom teeth fell out. There had grown back fine and was eating great everything was back to normal.

Untill wed night i had him out of the cage while there cage was being cleaned. Byt he jumped out of the box i had him in and jumped on to the dive and got half way under his cage. One of his bottom teeth fall out when i was getting him out from under his cage.

His other tooth what is still there is fine its not wobble anything and he us eating fine i just bring him in twice a day for him to have veggie inside as some things he can eat fine but other things he needs cut up smaller. So i cut some smaller veggie up for him to eat inside and put in a dish for him to eat. and he eats the stuff out of the dish fine. he eats his dry food fine aswell. And he allways tries to eat the big cut of veggie as he dosent wont to miss out.

Anyways about is grinding from when his 2 bottom teeth grew back he went back to grinding them. But i have noticed when he grinds his teeth now he seems to be making his top 2 teeth shorter and then that is making his bottom teeth be really long. His bottom teeth sre nerally 3 times longer then his top teeth.

Dose he need to have his one bottom tooth cliped ot filed down a little bit?

I think his bottom teeth are getting too long. His tooth which fall out on wedesday was the same size off his other bottom tooth. And it has grown back a ting bit allready. As i said before in this psot he is eating fine i dont have no warries about his eating he hasnt lost any wieght and he was eating fine before his tooth fall out when he got stuck under his cage.

The poor boy also got Cataracts in one of his eyes his eye is like a white -gray colour. His normal eye is pinky red. I think it runs in the family his sister ruby who has died had it and his sister poppy who is still alive has it aswell in both eyes.

So should i take him to the vets to get his tooth trimed down a bit?

and i jsut wont to add when he is grinding his teeth he smiles and has a lip down at the sametime. my mum says he needs a dummy lol

2. Hannahlg1986

Hannahlg1986 New Member

3. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator Staff Member

Teeth chattering is a sign of strong displeasure and means "stay away from me, or...!"

The bottom teeth always look a lot longer than the upper teeth, as they are fully exposed when you look at them. You need to have front teeth only clipped if they do not close properly; otherwise leave best alone! Most tooth trouble occurs actually in the back teeth and not the front teeth.

Here is more info on teeth:
    http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Boar behaviour:
    http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28949

4. Laura-CCC4

Laura-CCC4 Senior Guinea Pig

If he's eating fine, then please do leave him be - a lot of problems can be started by trimming the teeth just because they look long, despite the pig eating well. If there is a problem with the teeth that needs rectifying, then the pig will develop eating difficulties. If he's eating fine, then his teeth should be assumed to be fine.

I must admit I've not seen cataracts in pink or ruby eyed pigs, but in dark eyed guineas it's a bluish, cloudy colour. There are different conditions that cause whiteness in the eyes, but again I don't know how these conditions would present in a pink eyed pig.

5. Hannahlg1986

Hannahlg1986 New Member

I have seen both them links before but thanks.

He isnt teeth chattering he is grinding them. He dose chatter his teeth at times when he is upset but his teeth grinding is diffrent to when he chatters his teeth.

After reading yours and laura post i am not going to take him now he is eating fine. he has been outside today eating grass and bitting at the woodon house things.

His teeth do close proplarly aswell there dont over lap or anything his bottom teeth meet his top teeth fine.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. Both my guinea pigs grind their teeth, I think the new one has learned it from the older pig! Neither have ever had difficulties eating, they do it most when their dinner is coming or when they want food. I think some guineas just like to grind, for mine it is somewhat behavioural, and very much associated with food. I have never worried about it, I have always assumed they are just doing a bit of dental preparation so that they can get stuck in as soon as the vegetables hit the cage! :))

7. ajb

ajb Junior Guinea Pig

Mine grind their teeth when they have just woken up hungry, but are too lazy to get up yet :-)

8. Hannahlg1986

Hannahlg1986 New Member

My rubean dose it jsut for the sake of doing he smiles with his lip down while doing it.

I think it the same as child sucking dummy my rubean jsut grinds his teeth.

9. Hannahlg1986

Hannahlg1986 New Member

Well his over bottom tooth has come out now lol.

He is still eating fien tho he had a whole chopped up cherry tomato this morning some chopped up cucmber loads of greated carrot and some lettice. The lettice and carrot where from a saled bag. He has eatan loads this morning. He is now eating his dry food in his cage now.

Having k=know teeth at the bottom is not holding his eating back at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.