1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest Voting is now open for our Spooky Halloween Photo Competition, please vote now here Thanks to everyone that entered you raised an amazing £18 for piggies in care at TEAS Dental Sanctuary!

Guinea Pig Not Pooping!

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Feriscool, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feriscool

Feriscool New Born Pup

I'm getting really concerned for my guinea pig. For the past 3 or so days, she hasn't been pooping as regularly as she used to. We've had her for a year and a half, and no problems until now.

She usually pooped at least a couple times every hour, but now I only see her squeeze out about 1 or 2 poops a day. And they're not hard poops, they're more like diarrhea (wet and mushy). My parents don't want to take her to the vet because very little vets actually know much about guinea pigs and I've heard antibiotics can be bad to get in some cases.

She also seems to be whistling/squeaking for food more than before, and she acts like she always has (happy, jumpy). She doesn't eat much hard food any more (pellets, etc.), but she still eats her hay (every now and then). The only problem with eating/drinking is that she barely drinks at all. I check her bottle every day, and it seems like the water level isn't decreasing. I tried giving her a bowl of water, and she seemed to drink from that (but not too much).

Please help me, I'm really concerned for her!

2. piglet_and_rogers_mama

piglet_and_rogers_mama Adult Guinea Pig

i don't mean to sound harsh, but if you are under 18 then it's your parents legal responsibility to seek veterinary attention to an unwell animal in their care. That being said, diarrhea is extremely bad for guinea pigs because they can dehydrate. Not pooping very much, and especially diarrhea requires vet treatment. You can try and give probiotics to get the gut back on track, but PLEASE seek treatment. If this isn't possible, you should consider surrendering to a rescue, where appropriate treatment will be available. If not having a cavy savvy vet is the problem, you can provide your location and we can suggest vets for you. Or go to guinealynx.com and they have recommended vets based on location as well. Hth xx.

3. Feriscool

Feriscool New Born Pup

Probiotics as in what? Do they come in some sort of form, like vegetables?

4. piglet_and_rogers_mama

Probiotics are medicine given that have active cultures that regulate the gut flora back to normalcy...like yogurt for humans (please don't give your gp yogurt as they can't have dairy). I got my pigs probiotics from our vet when he had to be on antibiotics. I have heard of people buying them from stores, but I don't know the name of one. I'll have a look around and try to get back to you with the name of one you can buy.

5. piglet_and_rogers_mama

Ok, here's a link from guinea lynx that explains probiotics better than I can.
    http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html
    It also has info. On "poop soup" that I forgot to mention. If you have. A healthy pig with normal poop, you can mix some with water and syringe it, and will act as probiotics.
    In regards to store bought probiotics there is something called Johnstons probiotics, available at pets@home. Hth

6. Feriscool

Feriscool New Born Pup

Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

7. fluff

fluff New Member

without vet consultation your pet COULD die, do something about it know before its too late.

8. Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig

If shes not pooing then she's hardly eating or there could even be a blockage! Your parents must take it to the vets, you can't let her suffer! Where do you live?

9. Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig

As the others have said, please take you piggy to a vet. A vet will not give your pig inappropriate antibiotics, their knowledge has moved on a lot since your parents were young, if they are basing their opinion on how things used to be.

If you give your location we can advise on which vet would be the most suitable.

Suzy x

10. NASH

NASH Junior Guinea Pig

Are you gonna send the boys round:)):)):)):))

11. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Loss of appetite can have many reasons, but all have to be taken seriously.
    Please show this link to your parents; it is from the best medical website for guinea pigs internationally: http://www.guinealynx.info/anorexia.html

Please weigh her daily and if necessary hand feed. The more weight she loses the harder the struggle for recovery. Mushed up good quality pellets (not muesli) will do.
    Here are tips and measures as to how much she needs: http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

If you are underage, it is your parents' legal responsibility to provide adequate health care for your pet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.