1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. Have your piggies been a resident at TEAS? If so please see this thread here
  4. It's gonna be hot, find out how to keep your piggies cool and safe here
  5. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here
  6. Please check out our fantastic Syringe Feeding guide here

Hamster Screeching

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by mshappy89, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshappy89

mshappy89 Adult Guinea Pig

Hi there,

We had our syrian male hamster for around 8 months.

Just heard the strangest sound. It was kinda like a very loud screeching mixed with hissing sound. I first thought it was the Guinea pigs squabbling.

It was in fact coming from the hamster who was at the time running in his ball.

His never made that noise before. He is eating and drinking normally. We've put him back in his cage and all seems quiet.

Anyone have any idea on what it could be?
  2. zombieprincess

zombieprincess Adult Guinea Pig

Peterborough ... Huntingdon. Some where in the mid
    Hamsters screach or scream when they are frightened/concernerd or stressed. It may be that somthing suprised him whilst he was out and it caused him to screech.
    I had a hamster who as a baby when she first came to me used to screech in her sleep - i always think she was missing the company of her sisters and mum.

Nothing to worry about. It's always suprising when hamsters make noises they are usually so quiet.
  3. mshappy89

mshappy89 Adult Guinea Pig

We have had a quick look over him and he seems fine.

It was such a loud distressing noise. Was so suprised when we found out it was the hamster.
  4. zombieprincess

zombieprincess Adult Guinea Pig

Peterborough ... Huntingdon. Some where in the mid
    Yes - i suspect that it is so loud to do just that. Suprise and scare anything that may be trying to hurt them. Imagine you were a predatory bird or somthing trying to catch a hamster and then it threw itse;f on it's back and screamed like that at you. I wouldn't want to eat it!
  5. GuineaPigPuke

GuineaPigPuke New Member

I agree:^-
  6. clairelove

clairelove Adult Guinea Pig

3 of mine do that to me really scared me when they first did that, normally when i picked them up too, as they were all rescues and not used to been handled, my hamster fluffy did it when ever we looked at her rolleyes:))
  7. Amanda1801

Amanda1801 Senior Guinea Pig

It can also be pain, he could have got a toe trapped or something - I have an army of hamsters, one in particular likes to swing from his bars (less so now hes 3 years old!) but occasionally got his foot caught and made the screechy hissy noise as you described it!
  8. Niki

Niki Senior Guinea Pig

My Trilby regularly "squawks" at me, usually if i've woken her up & comes tearing down her tube ranting at me. :))
  9. ghostbusterbunny

ghostbusterbunny Adult Guinea Pig

Haha! This! My old hammy used to scream when I woke her up. Definitely didn't like that..! :(|)
  10. HairlessWillow7

HairlessWillow7 Adult Guinea Pig

I used to have a hamster named Jack, and he'd screech at me when he didn't want to be woken up or handled. Sometimes he'd even spit out his hamster food at me!
  11. daleksarah

daleksarah New Member

one of my hamsters screams!and ive heard another make a sort of clicky hissy noise
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.