• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help/Advice needed!

tbpiggie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Would these piggies be better off coexisting separately?
Not sure how lengthy this is going to be, but here goes. It's currently Wednesday, and last Saturday I adopted two boars from a rescue. They had come from a major hoarding situation (I'm talking 500+ in one house) so it's hard to imagine the things they've seen. I noticed shortly after adopting that one of them was very lethargic, not interested in eating as much- didn't even try to set himself in a hidey. I wasn't sure how he was available for adoption and made arrangements to go to the vet in the morning, sadly he passed on the way. It may sound silly because it was a short amount of time to have him, but it made me extremely upset. Especially because he was neutered prior to adoption so he'd had to have been seen by a vet.
The remaining piggie (Bruce) I can tell has a lot of personality, and since they're social creatures I was able to go back and adopt another one so he wouldn't be alone. My cage set up (a C&C with 2 x 2 loft) has led to the original piggie (Bruce) chasing the newest addition (Beau) until he goes up the ramp and just doesn't come down. Then Bruce will run around below, popcorning, and being even more active on his own. Beau is separated at the top, but barely comes out for the hay I left up there and refuses to come down. I feel bad as it's a smaller space than what Bruce has. For context Bruce is 2 and Beau is 6 months, sweet as can be during floor time and doesn't run or hide even when given lots of hideys to escape.

My question is, would it make sense to build another cage and have them coexist in 2x3's side by side? I'm terrified at the thought of losing another, and Beau only seems to come out of his shell/eat when he's not being chased. As a first time owner I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I’m sorry for your loss.

It takes piggies two weeks after bonding day to fully establish their relationship so at this point with only chasing and no actual fighting, I would not say you need to consider separation. However, it would be useful to have some more information.

- how big is the cage?
- did you bond them properly on neutral territory (without any hides in) for several hours before moving them to the cage they are in now?
- did you thoroughly clean the cage before putting them into it (after the neutral territory bonding)
- do you have multiple of everything in the cage?
- do all hides have two exits?

It’s possible he is seeing the bottom part of the cage as his territory and not wanting beau in it. This is why I’m asking about neutral territory bonding and ensuring the cage was also cleaned prior to them going into it.
It may be that you wont be able to have use of a second level (they don’t count towards the cage anyway). Sometimes multiple levels can cause issues between boars - one can claim a space and refuse the other access.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

I’m sorry for your loss.

It takes piggies two weeks after bonding day to fully establish their relationship so at this point with only chasing and no actual fighting, I would not say you need to consider separation. However, it would be useful to have some more information.

- how big is the cage?
- did you bond them properly on neutral territory (without any hides in) for several hours before moving them to the cage they are in now?
- did you thoroughly clean the cage before putting them into it (after the neutral territory bonding)
- do you have multiple of everything in the cage?
- do all hides have two exits?

It’s possible he is seeing the bottom part of the cage as his territory and not wanting beau in it. This is why I’m asking about neutral territory bonding and ensuring the cage was also cleaned prior to them going into it.
It may be that you wont be able to have use of a second level (they don’t count towards the cage anyway). Sometimes multiple levels can cause issues between boars - one can claim a space and refuse the other access.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
- Cage is a 2x5 with the 2x2 loft offset, but i have no issue with taking off the loft.
- I didn't bond them in neutral territory as they'd been living in male groups at the rescue, and was told they could coexist, would it be too late to do it? I could put them in neutral territory, remove the loft, clean out and expand the cage so that it's L shaped with more space.
- Yes the cage was cleaned out after the initial guinea pigs passing, and then fleece and loose items like toys and hideys were replaced
- Yes the hides have multiple exits- no dead ends.
- Yes they have 2 exits

A 2x5 is good. You can expand if you wish but it’s the recommended size as is.

It’s not about them living in male groups previously, it’s about them being compatible and be able to bond with each other. Sorry the rescue had given you incorrect information. Bonding is a specific process which needs to be followed.
Most importantly, it comes down to the two piggies being compatible - if the two piggies don’t like each other a bonding will fail.

As you have put the beau directly into the territory belonging to bruce - albeit it hasn’t been his territory long - with beau being out straight in without them knowing each other, it, will be seen as an invasion and the bruce will not take kindly to that. It could be why he is forcing him to stay up in the loft.
It wasn’t about cleaning the cage after the original pig passed away , it’s about cleaning the cage out before both Bruce and beau went into it as a pair and Bruce not seeing the cage as his territory anymore. It needed to be cleared of bruce’s scent.

I would certainly go back to the beginning and introduce them properly on neutral territory now and see how it goes.
Living side by side is the alternative scenario if they don’t want to be together.

The ideal scenario was that they lived in separate cages but side by side for a week so they got to know each other through the bars. You then put them on neutral territory (never introduce piggies directly into the cage belonging to an existing piggy) with no hides for several hours to see if they are compatible. If after several hours all is well, you can then clean out their permanent cage and move them to it. It then takes two weeks for them to fully form their bond.
If the bonding fails in the neutral territory bonding pen or during the two week post intro period, then they live side by side permanently.

The green links I added in in my previous reply will explain more - particularly the illustrated bonding guide as that explains the importance of neutral territory and how to carry out the process

Welcome to the forum. All the advice given above is great. I personally would also start again. I'm aware that you have the option of them living as neighbours but please give them the other option as a bonded pair of boars is a lovely addition to a household.

Back