1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest Voting is now open for our Spooky Halloween Photo Competition, please vote now here Thanks to everyone that entered you raised an amazing £18 for piggies in care at TEAS Dental Sanctuary!

hiccups

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Craig David, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig David

Craig David Teenage Guinea Pig

might sound like a strange question

can pigs get hiccups?

just heard david making a strange hiccuping noise, he was doing it the other day to. I'm frightened to death with david because hes not been so well since day one.

2. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig

Mine get hiccups (no noise but the light hiccup-y spasms from their abdomen) if they run around too much after eating. Seriously!

What Wiebke describes is where they hunch on their feet, heave their whole body forward repeatedly and sometimes finish up with a cough; can happen when they eat too much/too quickly.

4. Craig David

Craig David Teenage Guinea Pig

thanks people i dont think it was the heaving hiccups just a gentle hiccup like when we get it. it sounded like us doing it. that heaving hiccups looks horrendous

well I'm glad its normal thanks x

5. helen105281

Forum Donator 2014/15

Gertie does it too sometimes after drinking if she drinks too fast and last night she was eating her veg quickly (I think she thought Johnny was going to nick it) and did one then.

6. eagle eye

eagle eye New Member

My faince has two guinea pigs in gaint cage , few days ago , one of them began sound like it was choking , more like hiccup , so we panic and got her out and rub her top of her neck and it stop in minutes , she ony done in 3 times now over last past week , i read eating or drinking can cause these but I just wanted to make sure , that she is ok , she abiout 2 years old and size of a palm , she and other female like to chatter alot when they are hungery and i give them wet carrots ever few days , but they drink a large bottle of water ever 4 hours , so just want to know if they are ok when they make that weird noise becuase I dont want to lose one becuase my faincee says its normal , thank you .mallethead

7. Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig

My guinea pig Fennel who died just last week :( always had the hiccups. Especially when he was a pup. He would get them if he got to excited but he only had them mild - bless him.

8. Abi_nurse

Abi_nurse Adult Guinea Pig

Yep they can.

x.

9. Shellza

Shellza Adult Guinea Pig

Lexi had hiccups the other day, it scared the life out of me! Picked her up and she was fine though :)).

10. Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig

Welcome to the forum. Is it possible the guinea was eating when she made the coughing sounds? As long as she clears it herself, which they do tend to do, then it may be completely normal.

However if coughing becomes more frequent/regular then it's worth having her checked out for any respiratory or heart issues, and having the molars checked to ensure she is able to grind food down correctly.

What is their diet like? You mention you give them carrots every few days, what else are they fed and how ofen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.