1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Transport Assistance Needed - Cumbria to Northampton. Click here for details.

How to stop cats pooping in my garden?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by missy, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missy

missy Adult Guinea Pig

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an effective way to stop my neighbour's cat from using my garden as her litter tray? (Humane suggestions only please!)

I've tried all kinds of things to try and discourage it but I'm at my wits end. I'm so fed up of going out there every day to remove all the stinking mess from the borders and small plants stand no chance as the cat digs them up if they get in her way :)>>>

The only thing I've found that works at all is those battery operated sonic repellers with motion sensors to trigger off a high pitched alarm which humans can't hear. It's quite useful but I can't use that when the pigs are out on the grass as they'd keep triggering the alarm and I'm sure they could hear it. Also I understand that the high pitched sound has a frequency which can be heard by children and the same neighbours have a young baby who spends a lot of time in their garden.

So what else can I try?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks :)

2. Jacques

Jacques New Member

a green gel called 'Get off'... may be called something else where you are. works on my own cats. I used it cos they were pooing in the shingle and rather in the mud and they stopped. You put some jelly in a little tray and once in goes clear fill it up....

3. Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Sarah from Chucklebunnies Adult Guinea Pig

Use any kind of prickly branch over the soil where they like to go. I have a burberis bush (very prickly) and roses (also thorny) and save the branches from these when I prune to use on cleared areas of soil which they like to use as littertrays. It does work, you simply need enough prickle to deter the cat from lowering their bottom there, it is completely humane, avoids chemicals and the branches dry out and can be moved around. It does, however, take planning and a lot of prickled fingers!

Personally I try very hard to deter cats from the garden, yelling and hissing, rattling things near to them and chasing them down the garden path many times. I still have to clear poo away. I do wish cat owners would always make sure their cats have a litter tray indoors. I know many do, I just wish they all would!

4. Angeladeedah

Angeladeedah Adult Guinea Pig

I have this major problem in my front garden too - I've tried all the sprays/gels etc and they only work for a day, if your lucky, then the cats are back again.

My Dad has given me moth balls to try - apparently you crush them up and thrown them about the garden. I've still to clean up the garden - it's chipped and looks like a giant litter tray - then I'm putting them down, I'm keen to see if they work or not. But I've heard good reports.

I've also heard that lion dung is really good - you can buy that online or in Dobbies.

5. missy

missy Adult Guinea Pig

Thanks everyone. Lots of fab ideas there. I'm so fed up of it but will keep trying til I find something that really works and doesn't affect piggies :)

6. sharonS

sharonS Adult Guinea Pig

I don't think there is a solution,but what about a super soaker, just as they are about to stoop down squirt their bum.:))

7. piggiepaws

piggiepaws New Member

Hello Missy, I dont think there is an answer to this one! I have a cat myself and i actually dig over the bottom of the garden near the compost heap so he will poop in there (they like the soil to be easy to paw through) and he does poop there but so does a few other cats too! and yep, even though I'm a cat owner I still have to poop a scoop!

All I can suggest is that where you put young plants or bedding you stick little branches/twigs off bushes there and that seems to stop them using just that bit because they cant paw the soil as much.

I dont know if you would like this, but also cats wont poop on your borders if they are covered in small pebbles - not gravel as they can paw this, but the 50p size pebbles are great. Maybe you could just pebble off your favourite bits of the garden and leave a corner under some bushes for them to go to thats out of your way? - especially if like me you have moggy visitors that dont get wormed which is really frustrating.

Hope you find a solution :)

8. missy

missy Adult Guinea Pig

I like that idea a lot except I'll have to stake out the garden, hiding in the bushes, and my neighbours might think I'm some kind of peeping tom! :...

9. missy

missy Adult Guinea Pig

Thanks piggiepaws. Do you think bark chips would deter cats at all or are those also fairly comfortable and very easy to move around? I had planned on chipping the borders but wonder if that'd look too much like nice litter tray material.

I understand that encouraging them to use a specific area makes sense, although I find the whole thing truly hideous and would ideally want them to avoid coming in my garden at all! Unfortunately most of my neighbours have mostly decked/paved low maintenance gardens with hardly any soil and I'm the mug who tries to make my garden green and pretty but it just ends up brown and sh.... well, you know! Grrrrrr!

10. piggiepaws

piggiepaws New Member

i dont think the bark chips will work cos they are easy to paw around... sorry. The only other thing i can suggest apart from pebbles is in poundland they sell these little wire fences or little wooden ones that push into the soil, maybe if you surrounded your little plants with those it would put them off?

11. flips

Senior Guinea Pig

I have no idea if this actually worked but I used to have a neighbour who pushed cocktail sticks into the ground around his plants so they stuck up about an inch. The idea being that they would prick the cats' bottoms and put them off going there.

12. Mackers

Mackers Junior Guinea Pig

I'm having the EXACT same problem and am about to purchase a sonic cat deterant. Which one have you bought, out of interest?

I personally wouldn't worry a hoot about the neighbour's children being able to hear the alarm - it's not top of my list of concerns. After all, you wouldn't have to have the alarm on if they could stop THEIR cat from coming into YOUR garden. I'd even be tempted to send my neighbours the bill for the alarm!

13. missy

missy Adult Guinea Pig

Mackers,

I understand exactly how you feel. It has almost reduced me to tears many times but usually it just makes me reeeeeeeeeally cross and fed up! Last Summer there were quite a few times when I wanted to spend time in the garden, but didn't bother in the end, after going out and having the stench hit me. Sometimes I just can't face the task of picking it all up. I feel like shovelling it up and chucking it over the garden fence so my neighbours know how it feels! Grrrrrrr! I'm not really sure if they can help the situation at all but I know it'd make me feel better!

Anyway, rant over! I got a Rentokil one which I'm pretty sure is the same as this one except mine is dark green (maybe mine is an older model, not sure):
    [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rentokil-LFC61-Ultra-Sonic-Repeller/dp/B003ANX7M2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=outdoors&qid=1272652088&sr=1-11[/ame]

Just having a quick look on Amazon, it looks like you really don't need to spend a fortune. This bestselling one seems very similar to mine and judging by the reviews it does the trick for most people:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Big-Cheese-Cat-Repeller/dp/B000NR8Q1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=outdoors&qid=1272652088&sr=1-1[/ame]

I'd choose this inexpensive type again. As I said, I've had success with mine. I have a very small garden though so you might want to check the distance/arc covered, before buying.

Good luck!

14. Mackers

Mackers Junior Guinea Pig

Thank you Missy! Guess what I'll be buying tomorrow :)) I'll probably buy one to start with and see how it goes but the plan is to put one at the top of each of my two fences at the point where it jumps over. I only have a small garden too so I'm sure it'll cover the required distance.

15. Angeladeedah

Angeladeedah Adult Guinea Pig

I can sympathise with you there - there have been so many times, I wanted to shuff it through my neighbours letterboxes (and I have cats!) but it drives me totally up the wall. I don't mind cleaning out my own cat's litter tray but it's not nice then having to clean out your own garden because of all the neighbour's cats. My garden is a total mess and I don't see the point in cleaning it out just for them start again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.