1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest Voting is now open for our Spooky Halloween Photo Competition, please vote now here Thanks to everyone that entered you raised an amazing £18 for piggies in care at TEAS Dental Sanctuary!

Lump?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Samantha123, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samantha123

Samantha123 New Member

Hi,

I have just had my guinea pig Martha on my lap and as I was doing a general check noticed a small (no bigger than a 5p coin) on her upper back leg. It does not have a head on it but feels like a fatty lump. She is eating and drinking okay, but I know guinea pigs can do down hill very quickly.

She will most difinitely be going to the vets, but as it is the weekend my vets is not open until Monday and I am quite worried. Martha is 4.

Has anyone experienced or been in a similar situation?

Thank-you,

Samantha

2. Claire W

Forum Donator 2014/15

It sounds like a fatty lump to me. My Eliza has one and they are nothing to worry about. It is worth having all lumps seen by a vet though to have a proper diagnosis :)

3. rodentlady1987

rodentlady1987 Junior Guinea Pig

Agreed sound like a fatty lump, my Mdluli had two removed last year and she has another one now mallethead Only way to really know is to see the vet though :)

4. Samantha123

Samantha123 New Member

Thank-you everyone, that's what I suspected. Its just being a lump you instantly think of that terrible word beginning with C! especially as she is an older piggy.

Martha will also be going to the vets first thing Monday (i'd take her now if it was open lol) but we have a really great vet at Vets for Pets who has seen Martha before.

Thanks again, I feel a little better now :) will let you know what the vet saysx

p.s. I hope Hope your Mdluli is okay too.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. Abi_nurse

Abi_nurse Adult Guinea Pig

Understandably all lumps are worrying when * find them. And although others have agreed in thinking it is a fatty lump, which is very likely. Without a vet examination and/or sample taken then just from a discription the nature of a lump cant be definatly identified. Uve got it sorted though with a quick vet visit. I'm sure its just a fatty lump, but just felt the need to say the above, sorry. ↲↲

x

6. lauraboara

lauraboara Teenage Guinea Pig

Glad I spotted this thread because I too found a lump on the back leg of Sampson this evening. Moves around when you press it and does not seem to bother him at all. Hopefully also of the fatty lump variety but will have it checked out as well. Joy.

7. lauraboara

8. Poppy'sMum

Poppy'sMum Adult Guinea Pig

Always best to get lumps checked, my Daisy's lump on her leg turned out to be a nasty abscess & she ended up having it removed by op. It grew big very quickly, & we didn't realise it was a lump until she had a bath & it was obvious as she is a fluffy pig :( Best to get a vet's opinion, good luck, the odds are it will be a harmless fatty one but best to be sure.

9. Samantha123

Samantha123 New Member

Thanks everyone, the link was very helpful Joy (hope you guinea pig is okay too) I am keeping my fingers crossed and will wait and see what the vet says Monday. In the mean time she is getting lots of TLC and favourite veggies. x

10. Claire W

Forum Donator 2014/15

Eliza's fatty lump is near her nipple so we have to keep an eye on it bu thankfully, it hasn't changed in over a year

11. Freela

Freela Adult Guinea Pig

The only way to know for sure is to see the vet... it could be a fatty lump, a cyst, or an abscess. My pig Linney had a semi-soft, squishy lump come up on her lower back just above the grease gland it turned out be an abscess... it was removed without incident. Good luck at the vet and hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about!

12. lauraboara

Hi Samantha. Glad the link was useful for you too. I am not actually called Joy:)) that was more of a sarcastic 'joy' going to the vet again as I have 3 piggies with different problems at the moment. Quite like the name Joy but really I am a Laura! He He

Good luck for your piggy and vet visit - let us know what the outcome is as it is all good for learning more and we want to know Martha is OK:)

13. rodentlady1987

rodentlady1987 Junior Guinea Pig

Thankyou :) Because her last lumps were just fatty lumps the vet is happy to just leave it as long as it dosent grow or start to cause her pain :) I hope all is well with your piggy and the vet visit goes well ... keep us posted :)

14. Samantha123

Samantha123 New Member

Thank-you everyone, I will let you know what happens and what the vet recommends :)

haha sorry Laura, it must have been too late for me last night! Maybe if you have another piggy you could call her Joy lol x

15. lauraboara

How did you get on with Martha today at vets?

Re Sampsons lump, Vet thought it was a cyst. It was actually smaller again todaymallethead - just like when kids make an amazing recovery in the doctors waiting room.... So he thought I was slightly mad but advised to keep a close eye on it and track any changes in size.

Hope you have some answers for your piggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.