1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Transport Assistance Needed - Cumbria to Northampton. Click here for details.

Male vs. Female

Discussion in 'Your Photos and Videos' started by Bunsby, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunsby

Bunsby New Member

Show of hands, is a male piggie easier to live with or a female piggie? I'm very curious, as I have only had female pigs.

2. Floydie

Floydie Adult Guinea Pig

My boys are more friendly but tbh they smell more, the girls dont tend to smell but they dont like to be handled as much (apart from peppa who is very friendly).

3. Connie

Connie Adult Guinea Pig

There are lots of dicussions on this... lol, I think yes boars definatly smell more.. they can fall out, girls obviously you have the risk of pregnacy (both the later can be delt with by adopting from a reputable rescue) And boars have a reputation for being more human friendly (but people soon changed their mind on that when they meet my two ;) )

4. PottyForPiggies

PottyForPiggies Adult Guinea Pig

My boys are much calmer to handle than my girl, but my girl is so much more receptive to people. She is desperate for attention, just doesn't like being picked up. My boys are not so keen on the attention but do like being handled. However I love them all and can't really picture myself sticking with just one sex. I think I would always have both (seperate of course!).

5. Glynis

Forum Buddy

I have had the honour to be both a grannie to boars and a mum to sows...... i find them basically the same, yes the boys did have an odour at times, but i used to clean them regularly. I also was so used to cleaning bits of hay from the boys bits that when i got the girls it was like.... oh what now? LOL then i realised i better keep an eye on their bits and keep them clear of hay!
    As for pigsonalities? One of our boys was the chattiest little thing but whee had a huge bond as he was a toofie and abscess piggie. And i have a blind girl who has a huge pigsonality too.
    Piggies are like us....... all different x)x)x)x)

6. sharonS

sharonS Adult Guinea Pig

Yes I couldn't agree more.

7. witch1hg

witch1hg New Member

I've kept both boys and girls, not found much difference but did have one boy who loved company, Sniff and Grunt are very quiet pigges and not much for handling untill you have sat down with you then they are happy to stay there for hours lol
    I like keeping both boys and girls theres no prefurance

8. LittleEskimo

LittleEskimo Adult Guinea Pig

9. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

I have quite a few girls living with a neutered boar per group. It depends very much on the individual characters. Boys can be real softies - more often than girls -, but even neutered boars can produce an amazing amount of testosterone, so they are definitely smellier. And some boys are definitely not very cuddly! Girls can be grumpier and more temperamental, especially when they come into season.

My first own piggy was a very much beloved softie of a boar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.