1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here

New guinea pigs eyes red. Is he ok?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by michellexgix, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michellexgix

michellexgix New Member

I got my guinea pig 7 days ago. He is 3 months old. His eyes are red and I am after coming across on the internet on a comment under youtube that guinea pigs with red eyes only have a life span of two years. Is this true? I want him to live longer than two years. By the way he is not albino he is brown fue with little ginger patches. Help?

2. Niki

Niki Senior Guinea Pig

It is complete tosh. I have pink/red eyed pigs & have had them in the past, they live as long or short as their dark eyed friends.

My Hamish was 4 yrs & 10months when he passed, he was a himi with beautiful pink/red eyes :)

3. Romily

Romily Adult Guinea Pig

We have quite a few piggies with pink eyes and I have never heard of their eye colour affecting their lifespan.

4. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator Staff Member

That is complete nonsense!

Guinea pig eyes come in different shades from red to ruby to dark, but it has nothing to do with their life span, rather with the breed/coat colour. I have various shades of red, ruby, brown and dark eyes in my tribe. There are even piggies with blue irises!

Here is more information on eye colour in guinea pigs:
    http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

But if you have a single piggy, I would strongly recommend getting him a companion. Guinea pig are group animals and should not be kept on their own away from others of their kind.

5. redd1800

redd1800 New Member

Silly comment - * -tube not the best place to learn your guinea pig facts. You've logged onto the right place now :)p

None of my 4 red eyes piggies are less then two. All are healthy and happy.

6. michellexgix

michellexgix New Member

Thanks a million. Thats great to here. I'm pretty attached to the wee guy already :D

Yes, thanks for the information and I do plan on getting another guinea pig in the future. When I save up for a bigger cage and enough money for the other guinea pig. My goal is to get one before September. The cage he is in now is fine for two but would just rather get a better one. Meanwhile though he is sidebyside to my rabbits cage so that should give him a bit of company and I also plan on getting a second rabbit too. Tbh, I cant see myself stoping at two :S hahaha!

7. Tracyxx

Tracyxx Adult Guinea Pig

Eye colour doesn't affect lifespan. Pink eyes are stunningly beautiful too :))

8. Abi_nurse

Abi_nurse Adult Guinea Pig

Its just a lack of pigment, and doesnt effect lifespan at all.

x.

9. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator Staff Member

We have some good information on a range of issues in our reference section. You may find browsing there very helpful.

For cage ideas, have a look at our cage/hutch gallery in our housing section. Best start at the end!
    You can build proper palaces for relatively little money by using C&C grids and fleece - for less than you would pay for a conventional cage. AND you are free to adapt the design to your personal needs/space requirements!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have!

10. caviaporcellus

caviaporcellus Adult Guinea Pig

Guinea pigs don't actually have red eyes. They simply glow red when they are trying to hynotise you so that they can take over the world. I captured the evidence on film one day:
    [​IMG]

11. Midge&Panda

Midge&Panda Adult Guinea Pig

My first 2 girls had pink eyes, both lived to over 5yrs. Both very pretty girls.

12. Wingus-dingus

Wingus-dingus Adult Guinea Pig

ooooooooeeeeeee Hypno-pig

13. CiaraPatricia

CiaraPatricia Adult Guinea Pig

Love the hypno-pig!

My himalayan guinea pig with red eyes lived til 7 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.