• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

No Trust For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celliott215

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 3 pigs. 2 I have caged together (popcorn and frost) I've had for 5 months and a new pig I'm trying to bond with them. Popcorn is very social with me. She climbs on me, let's me pet her and is great with me. Frost on the other hand is still very skittish. She runs away from me all the time and is only ok with me when I have food. I can easily take popcorn out of the cage cage for floor time but Frost I have a lot of trouble with. I have a lot of tunnels for them and I used to use them to transport her since she doesn't like to be touched, but she's used to that trick and stays away from them when I'm by the cage. Sometimes I almost catch her but she squirms away last minute and I have to wait untill she's not paying attention. What can I do to make this easier? She takes good from my hand just fine and try to give them veggies whenever I see them.

Be patient and use veggies and praise to lure her into the tunnels. It is a difficult stage when they are have realised what is up and are not minded to cooperate. For a pick up with hands, you best chivvy her into corner and block one exit. At some point, she will hopefully realise that the tunnel with a treat and lots of fuss is the more agreeable version, but right now, persist and be patient. You are making progress, even though it doesn't look like it.

This is how I feel. My to beautiful boars are very skittish at times and other times they just pause and relax and let me lift them. I have also put them in a bigger hutch and outside big and very safe grass pen. They have everything a piggy could ever dream. Sometimes though they bite me when I lift them and sometimes they are fine. I think Greenwood changed when I put them outside. I really as to I talk to them feed them and give them indoor and outdoor play and lap time. I'm getting a little bit miffed with it all. I may lose patience if I feel I'm not getting somewhere...insecure mummy rant over!

One of my boars is still really skittish too. Neither will put up with lap time unless theres food involved. I always get jealous of people whose pigs love to cuddle lol!

Me too. Or I get jealous that they like chasing a human around the house and really interacting. Some some....some one piggy day ! I will unconditional love from my little piggies! :love:

I've only had Tilly for about 7 weeks and Hettie for about 3. They are getting loads better to catch and both of them are fine with lap time, certainly let you know when they have had enough fuss!

It just takes time and consistency :)

Yep We've had Kitty and Nancy for
Just over 3 weeks, sometimes they pause and don't mind so much getting picked up and other times the chase is on lol. They like lap time and settle right down, give kisses and sometimes close their eyes and stretch out. I feel like just when I think they're settling in by letting us pick them up without a fuss they change. I think it's to keep us on our toes.

Angela

Our girls were sometimes like that but once they were out they were happy enough. I would just say try not to stress him by chasing him. What Wiebke said about getting them into a corner always works for me. Good luck!

I second that about the corner. Put your hand in front of their head so they can't escape that way and can't see a route out either. Most of my piggies run away but only 1 really doesn't like being picked up and cuddled. The other male can start chattering his teeth if I try but it's rare that he will actually bite. Often, it's annoying trying to grab them as they run with such force that they kick the bedding and poops out of the cage and onto the living room floor, behind everything so it's harder to find and clean! It's often easier if you are at the cage a while and perhaps have given some food or talks so they are a bit more comfortable. Usually, I'll grab them when they are in the house by lifting the lid as otherwise I'll be there for ages lol It's their natural instinct to run away so don't think it's just you.

Meepers is not letting me pick her up. She is a rescue and want given attention. It is funny because she likes touching noses with our little dog supervised and through the cage. The dog has even licked her lol. Me on the other hand only if I have food does she care. I have had to pick her up and took her to an exotics vet because her nails had never been cut before poor thing. Now she is skittish and is older. She will let me give ear scratches etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back