• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Open wounds and scabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen105281

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi we adopted our guinea pig a month or so ago and were told she had mites previously which had cleared up. We took her to the vets a couple of weeks ago and she checked her skin and fur and said she was fine.

Anyway when she came out for a cuddle yesterday we noticed one open wound and 2 other scabs. Obviously we will ring the vets first thing on Tuesday but thought would ask here in the meantime. Could it be her mites are back? she has no signs of baldness except where the open wound is and is not continually scratching. We are appliying cream twice a day but she keeps licking it off. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you. :)

Thanks very much, I will check out the links.

Mites can always stage a come back if a guinea pig is under stress, like a new home or its immune system weakened after an illness.

She has been under stress too as she has been getting used to us and her new home and she was separated from her sister by the people who had her previously as they fought. When she has got a clean bill of health again we are taking her to our local guniea pig rescue to see if she bonds with any there so she can have a companion (and we will have both of course).

She has been under stress too as she has been getting used to us and her new home and she was separated from her sister by the people who had her previously as they fought. When she has got a clean bill of health again we are taking her to our local guniea pig rescue to see if she bonds with any there so she can have a companion (and we will have both of course).

I have just had an outbreak of mites myself due to a guinea pig of mine dying.

The quickest way to get treatment is to have her seen is by your vet as soon as they are open (you can try and see whether by any chance they may be open tomorrow), as anything through the post will take time and won't be sent over the bank holiday.

I am sure that your girl will enjoy having a companion! Twice I have let a guinea pig of mine choose its new companion after a death, and it has always been a great success. Once I bonded two girls and once a girl with a neutered boar (who is now looking after eight girls... rolleyes )

Thanks, I don't think they are open tomorrow but will check in a mo. I will call first thing Tuesday though.

Sounds promising for letting her choose her new friend then, thanks for sharing :)

Just managed to get a pic of the open wound (the scabs are not as bad). Should we get her seen by the emergency vet tomorrow?

4b93996e.jpg

Hi Helen,

It does sound like another round of ivermectin to treat mites would be worthwhile.

For the sores, what cream are you applying? Bepanthen or Aloe Vera gel/ointment can both help soothe such wounds.

Unless she's suffering seizures I don't think a vet would see this as an emergency, and as she is otherwise well she should be fine until tomorrow. :)

Thanks Laura, we spoke to the vet today and she said to bathe the wounds in a saline solution which we have been doing. We were using a cream we have had for a while with tea tree and aloe vera in it but also have sudocrem as it was recommended in a few places too. She sat on my partner's lap for a while earlier while her cream soaked in a bit which is good but when she scratches she squeals and it makes us feel so helpless.

Am going to get an appointment for Wednesday as my partner is not around tomorrow and will be difficut getting her to the vets straight from work will kepp up with the cream and saline in the meantime.

She is currently lying down chilling with her head buried in her grass, soo cute :)

Not sure if it's something you've heard, but I think the safety of products containing tee tree oil is a bit debatable. Personally I don't use tea tree creams on any open sores - worth switching to the Sudocrem in my opinion. :)

Good luck at the vets with her, hopefully they'll recognise what's led to the sore (and not treat it just as a lesion) and get the cause treated.

Have switched to the sudocrem today thankfully, I did not know that. Seems odd that the one with tea tree was an actual pet cream and yet the sudocrem is a baby one, am learning new stuff every day. She does seem happier tonight so maybe it's having an effect.

Took my little Ginger Cupcake to the vets today and she confirmed that it is mites and she has had one dose of Ivomec and needs to go back for 2 more. Also on antibioics for the wounds, so any advice on how to get them into her would be gratefully received :) This morning she clamped her mouth shut when she saw the syringe coming and turned away so think she may have been through this before. Ended up putting in on her cucumber but got more over me I think than in her mouth.

That's really helpful thank you, will try that with tomorrow's dose. Yes it is Baytril.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back