1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. Have your piggies been a resident at TEAS? If so please see this thread here
  4. It's gonna be hot, find out how to keep your piggies cool and safe here
  5. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here
  6. Please check out our fantastic Syringe Feeding guide here

Pineapple Leaves?

Discussion in 'Food' started by mutton chops, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mutton chops

mutton chops

I know piggies can eat pineapple (although i havnt tried it with them yet), but can they have the leaves or the skin? I was looking at the 2 pineapples in our fruit bowl and theyre almost mostly leaves so it would be good if they can then it wouldnt be wasted!

Mary Xx
  2. Sue G

Sue G Forum Donator 2013/14

I actually would have thought pineapple was too acid for piggies - I know I can't eat it because it makes my tongue curl up, like gooseberries and rhubarb. (and if you ever pour cream over pineapple, you'll see it kind of curdles) Not sure about the leaves though.
  3. MemberY

MemberY New Member

Pineapple should be given sparingly as it is very acidic, as for the leaves, I would say not although not 100% sure. They seem too sharp to me and I would go so far as to say they could be poisonous...I wouldn't chance it!
  4. Goldie

Goldie Adult Guinea Pig

I have to say that I have never fed mine pineapple. Never given it a thought, but I reckon also that it might be too acidic.

Pineapple leaves ... I have no idea but they do look quite sharp and tough!
  5. frank

frank New Member

White Lake, Michigan, USA far from the UK
    Perhaps its better to waste the leaves than chance your piggys on it
  6. mutton chops

mutton chops

Thank you all:) I wouldnt feed them to them unless i know for sure its safe. The pineapples we get dont seem nearly as acidic as most, maybe cos its not from a supermarket? Or just because we leave them to ripen for ages? I think ill give them a teensy bit when i cut them up, as a treat:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.