1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here

pooping ALOT!

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by ILoveGilbertTheGuineaPig, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILoveGilbertTheGuineaPig

ILoveGilbertTheGuineaPig Senior Guinea Pig

hi, i got my guinea pig just two days ago. his name is gilbert
    this morning i cleaned his cage at around....9:30 and right now is 2:30. he has a total of about 50 poops! is this even normal! he goes to one corner and each time he gets out of that corner, theres more poop then before! am i overfeeding him? i give him timothy hay and pellets. i tried giving him carrots and apples but he doesnt really want them. is there something wrong with my guinea pig?:( can you just tell me the average amount of poop your guinea pig poops in a day and some tips with my guiena pig..thanks.:)
  2. Laura-CCC4

Laura-CCC4 Senior Guinea Pig

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Pooping lots is very normal. In fact, if he wasn't pooping much it would be a sign that something is very wrong. Piggies are grazers, and their digestive systems are designed to have food constantly going through them. A lot of food going in = a lot of output the other end!

If you can get him onto a good diet right from the very start, then do. Have a look at these threads in the food section for ideas on a wider variety of veggies:
    http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42
    http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28953
  3. Pigglywink's Rachel

Pigglywink's Rachel

I wouldn't be overly concerned. My girls go out in their run for an hour and a half each night and I've not yet had less than forty poops between the two of them to clean up (and that's not counting the ones that are in the hay tray in the corner). Little poop factories, they are.-c
  4. lyssie-louba

lyssie-louba

Teehee, this made me giggle out loud! Bailey is such a poop machine!drool
  5. tinso

tinso New Member

yep mine are all little poop machines too bless them
  6. nutmeg

nutmeg New Member

Pooping is an olympic sport for piggies. xx
  7. Briony_S

Briony_S Forum Donator 2013/14

yes george can do about 80 an hour! ha ha! no really he can! :)) when he was on his own and very little, I would clean put most of his cage (doing a daily spot clean) then move his house which he darted into and clean out remainder! after about 2 mins max I would move his house back and there would be between 5-20 poos in like 2/3 mins! they seem to think it is a sport!

I now have two together and between them in one day they seem to cover the floor & also somehow get loads in there food bowls! I have to sweep them out daily!
  8. rodentsrus

rodentsrus Junior Guinea Pig

Just wait till you see them EAT there poops....Yes eat there poops!
  9. madmush

madmush New Member

Never mind being pooing machines, their poo always seems to find its way into every corner & crevice of my lounge! They are always very generous when they are out & about & up for cuddles! :)):))

It's a good thing I adore them & don't care! Plus their pellets are very easy to clean up! xx>>>x)
  10. rodentsrus

My b/f calls them tiny footballs...Mind are just learning what free time is....I have to keep check for wet spots and poops...For the wet spots I soak it up with my ShamWOWs! (Love them)....Even my dad who is not a rodents lover at all seem to like them... :)
  11. chevrolet_kelowna

chevrolet_kelowna

Have had my guinea pig for 5 days now. I can count at least 50 in like 12 hours. Another thing is also he doesn't like any fruits or veggies just timothy hay and pellets. He is about 6-8 weeks old. All my other piggys that are older are crazy over fruit and veggies.
  12. rodentsrus

It takes time...But mine love carrot, roman lettuce, green / red lettuce keep tring
  13. Briony_S

Briony_S Forum Donator 2013/14

george took like 4 days worth of attempts to eat a piece of carrot when I first got him. I would put carrot in on evening and then take away the untouched carrot in morning and try again the next day. it went on and on and finally he likes most veg. Every new veg seems to not go down well the first time but after a few goes of each veg they get to like most of them!
  14. Batgirl

Batgirl

My wee fatty poops a lot as well. I have to admit, I worry a lot too, when cleaned him out earlier, I made a five minute phone call afterwards, and when I went to tidy away my dustpan and binliners and all the other apparatus needed for piggy poop cleaning, I pretty much had to clean him again!
  15. guinnealuver

guinnealuver

hey... I just got a guinnea pig and after reading through the forums I discovered that it ** normal for them to poor this much... but apples R probably not the best idea i give Oreo carrots (handfed) or lettuce (handfed) once or twice a day (ussually once) and i give two small handfuls of Timothy hay... :) I *** WHEN I GET TO WATCH HER EAT THE TIMOTHY it is so loud when it eats... and i feed him pellets... I believe this is a good diet (plus water) and he poops a LOT
  16. Niki

Niki Senior Guinea Pig

Please don't reply to old threads - this is a year old!

Please also note your guinea pig should have access to hay at ALL times, not just 2 handfuls. :)
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.