• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sow getting aggressive with boar companion?

morumotto

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey! I have some concerns about my sow/boar pair (Oreo, 5yo girl and Lu, 3yo neutered boy). They've lived together for well over 2 years now. About three weeks ago I believe Oreo went into heat; I can usually tell because she'll get a bit feisty and try to mount Lu. Usually it calms down and they go back to be buds. However, as of now this behavior has not calmed down. They have been rumbling at each other and she'll still try to mount Lu and he'll buck her off. I had hoped that maybe she was having a particularly strong season and that by her next heat things would course-correct, but it's starting to look like that may not happen? They still eat together just fine and I'm still finding them cuddled up together (or maybe it's just Lu demanding that they cuddle :))), but there's just so much more rumbling and mounting going on. Should I be concerned? Will things eventually calm down or is this the start of a potential fallout?

Hey! I have some concerns about my sow/boar pair (Oreo, 5yo girl and Lu, 3yo neutered boy). They've lived together for well over 2 years now. About three weeks ago I believe Oreo went into heat; I can usually tell because she'll get a bit feisty and try to mount Lu. Usually it calms down and they go back to be buds. However, as of now this behavior has not calmed down. They have been rumbling at each other and she'll still try to mount Lu and he'll buck her off. I had hoped that maybe she was having a particularly strong season and that by her next heat things would course-correct, but it's starting to look like that may not happen? They still eat together just fine and I'm still finding them cuddled up together (or maybe it's just Lu demanding that they cuddle :))), but there's just so much more rumbling and mounting going on. Should I be concerned? Will things eventually calm down or is this the start of a potential fallout?

Hi

Please have her vet checked for hormonally active ovarian cysts.

Here is more information on the various types of cysts and potential treatment options: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Hi

Please have her vet checked for hormonally active ovarian cysts.

Here is more information on the various types of cysts and potential treatment options: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Hey Wiebke!

Ovarian cysts did cross my mind. She has had cysts before about 2 years ago and was successfully treated for it with injections. Might be a silly question, but does that sort of thing come back?

And she did have an xray done a month ago for an unrelated issue; the vet caught that she was getting arthritis in her hips but they didn't mention anything about a cyst growing. Although I'm not sure if cysts can be seen on an xray?

Hey Wiebke!

Ovarian cysts did cross my mind. She has had cysts before about 2 years ago and was successfully treated for it with injections. Might be a silly question, but does that sort of thing come back?

And she did have an xray done a month ago for an unrelated issue; the vet caught that she was getting arthritis in her hips but they didn't mention anything about a cyst growing. Although I'm not sure if cysts can be seen on an xray?

Yes, after that time a new cyst could develop. The hormonally active cysts are usually small growing ones, not the large fluid filled 'silent' ones that become more common in old age. Cysts (especially larger ones) are visible on a scan but not necessarily on an x-ray.

Yes, after that time a new cyst could develop. The hormonally active cysts are usually small growing ones, not the large fluid filled 'silent' ones that become more common in old age. Cysts (especially larger ones) are visible on a scan but not necessarily on an x-ray.

I see! Thank you so much for your help, I've gone ahead and got an appointment scheduled for her for next Wednesday.

Hey! Just thought I'd give an update and ask another question: I took Oreo to the vet this past Wednesday and the vet does believe that she has ovarian cysts. We weren't able to do an ultrasound because she was too gassy, but they did notice the littlest bit of crustiness and very slight swelling on one nipple. We decided to give the hormone injection another try since she responded well to it two years ago when she had cysts before.

My question is: does anyone have experience with how long it takes for the hormone injections to affect behavior? It's only been two days so I know it's probably still too early, but I haven't seen any appreciable difference in her behavior towards her cagemate, Lu. She still rumbles at him about half they time they're near each other, occasionally bumping him away with her hip, and just still seems a bit grumpy overall. She does get another injection in two weeks, and a third one two weeks after that. Just curious about what to expect?

Hi! Just adding an update to this thread in case anyone else comes looking for an answer to this question.

Oreo got her injection on April 17th and by April 21st we started to finally see her calming down. As of today, a week later, she no longer responds aggressively to Lu trying to strut his stuff in her face and is back to her sweet self. So from my personal experience, it looks like it took 5-7 days for the injection to start affecting her behavior.

Thank you for updating and information. I'm glad she is feeling better.

Back