1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest Voting is now open for our Spooky Halloween Photo Competition, please vote now here Thanks to everyone that entered you raised an amazing £18 for piggies in care at TEAS Dental Sanctuary!

Swollen neck!

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Stinkerbell, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell New Member

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help?

Our 5-6month old piggie Fawn seems to have a very swollen neck, I noticed this afternoon. She was still running around in her usual loony way and has eaten her dinner fine this evening. Should I be worried?

I'm still new to all this, we've only kept pigs since July so I'm not sure when to really worry/panic! They seem so fragile when things go wrong!

She let me and my husband examine her earlier and although she nibbled to be left alone after a few mins she didn't seem in any distress.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Sarah

2. Toffeewoffee

Senior Guinea Pig

Can you post a picture? Is there any lumps or does it seem more like fat?

3. piggyfan

piggyfan *Forum Photo Guru*
    Forum Donator 2014/15

I would make an appointment with a vet and have it checked out as soon as possible.

4. Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig

Is it localised to one area like the top or the bottom or one side, or is it large all the way around (if that makes sense)?

Does it feel hard or fluidy?

Does she appear to be in any pain or discomfort?

5. Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell New Member

Hi,

it looks like fat more than an actual lump and it goes all the way round the bottom part of her neck (yes that makes sense!) I don't think it would look like anything if I posted a pic as it just looks as though she has a double chin! It kind of looks to me like she's got swollen glands?

I will obviously book an appointment with the vet tomorrow but by the time I saw it today I couldn't.

Thanks x

Ps she's seems her normal happy self!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Pebble

Pebble Adult Guinea Pig

Your description sounds like it could be a "dewlap".....a common feature of some piggies which is a bit like a double chin. However she is rather young to have developed this as you normally see it appearing in "more mature" pigs.

I would therefore be inclined to get her checked by a vet as there could be some swollen lymph nodes indicating an infection in which case she may need some antibioitics. It would be a good idea for the vet to give her a through dental exam to check there is no abcess/damage within her mouth and also to check all her lymph nodes to make sure it is not cervical lymphadenitis.

Funnily enough I took a young female to my vet today with just this problem.

Until she gets the all clear, please be careful about putting her with other piggies other than the ones she is aleady with...and also please wash your hands very thoroughly after handling her and before handling any other piggies.

HTH
    x

7. doglovinpiggylover

Forum Donator 2014/15

Pebble, when you say more mature piggies, what sort of age would you expect please?

Thanks.

8. Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig

Stinkerbell, do you have a good guinea pig vet to go to? Unfortunately a lot of vets aren't too experienced in small furries!

If you're happy to give us your location, someone may be able to recommend a good piggy vet for you - better to know of one now, than have to frantically search for one in an emergency!

9. Pebble

Pebble Adult Guinea Pig

In my experience, they need to have reached full size/weight (about 1year) and even then I have normally only observed it;s appearance (in both boys and girls) after about
    a) 18 months if they are chunky greedy pigs (eg aby's) or
    b) later on towards the two year mark if they are lithe smooth-haired pigs!

My Rowan has just reached maturity at 10 months as her weight and size have now stabilised......and within her sudden "dewlap" we can feel several lumps which the vet has said are probably swollen lymph nodes.

HTH
    x

10. doglovinpiggylover

Forum Donator 2014/15

very helpful, thanks, reason i ask is i am not sure if Oscar hasnt just developed one or if i am being paranoid...he was one approx July 11.

Thanks again x

11. Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig

A nice example for you! My chunky, greedy part aby, complete with dewlap! (And nice new pedicure!)

[​IMG]

12. doglovinpiggylover

Forum Donator 2014/15

dont suppose youve got a side view have you?

13. Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig

Sorry, they aren't great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's on a diet rolleyes

14. doglovinpiggylover

Forum Donator 2014/15

i think oscar might have one you know...

15. Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell New Member

Thanks for your comments. I will definitely take her to the vet tomorrow, we have had an issue with our local vet before but have been told about Blythwood in Hatch End which we used once in the past. It's a bit of a drive as we live in Wembley but they work with loads of piggies with RSPCA so thankfully that's fine. She doesn't look alarming but I can't believe 'dewlap' could happen to her in an afternoon no matter how old:)) I think if swollen glands means a possible infection I'll be rearranging my day tomorrow!

Thanks again :)

16. Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell New Member

I was going to post a picture of her but I can't figure out how to do it! We've got an app this morning at 10.40 so I'll let you know how we get on. She's still happy and eating but very jowelly!

Sarah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.