1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are currently browsing our forums as a guest, not all of our content is publicly viewable. You can register for a free account to gain access to all of our features!
  3. If you are having issues logging in or getting logged out, please delete your browsing cookies and cache, that should solve the problem. If you are still having issues contact a member of admin staff or contact us here

Tea Tree Oil?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Sunara, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunara

Sunara New Member

I was curious to know if anyone has ever used tea tree oil on or near their guinea pigs? Tea tree oil is natural, but it is very strong. I would be concerned about the strong smell of tea tree oil upsetting a guinea pigs respiratory. I would not use tea tree oil with my own pigs, but out of curiosity I wondered what information was out there in regards to tea tree oil and guinea pigs? It basically works the same as extra virgin coconut oil.
  2. herriotfan

herriotfan New Member

I wouldn't use any neat oils on my piggies, they are far too potent! :o
  3. Sunara

Sunara New Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well! I'll stick with coconut oil until I can get something prescribed by my vet for ringworm.
  4. Pound Shilling & Pig

Pound Shilling & Pig Teenage Guinea Pig

tea tree oil is poisonous to guinea pigs and therefore should never be used on them as it can be fatal.
  5. Sunara

Sunara New Member

That's what I needed to know, thank you! I wasn't planning to use tea tree oil on them, but I sometimes use it on myself and I didn't want it to harm the pigs. I know it's toxic to cats and dogs as well. Thank you for the confirmation!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.