• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is Connie ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I am starting this thread in regards to this thread http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27027 as I am stressing out. Connie is on her 4th day of antibiotics but she produced some red wee earlier today and there is some red in their wee corner in their hutch :( Is it just that she still has an infection or could it be something else? She is still eating and drinking normally and acting herself. Sorry for starting this thread but I've never had a poorly piggy before :(

is theere anything they are eating that can die their wee red?
If not it is likely that the antibiotic hasn't worked completely or it is not just an infection and if so you should see your vet.

Try not to stress yourself too much. I know it is easy to worry and run through what-ifs etc. - I did it myself until a short way into our run of illnesses over the past 2 years - but the best thing to do is what you are already doing.

Septrin is a better antibiotic for this kind of problem. Baytril should still work but it will take longer. If there is worsening of the symptoms, which there seems to be here, I would ask your vet if he can prescribe Septrin (also known as Trimethoprim Sulpha/TMS/Bactrim).

Sometimes an anti-inflammatory, like Rimadyl, is also necessary to calm down the inflammation which is causing/worsening the infection.

Last edited:
She is on Baytril until Tuesday. I need to take another urine sample in to the vets on Tuesday or Wednesday for it to be re tested. How long does it usually take for a urine infection to go?

I would say with any infection, the amount of time taken to clear up varies. You may have said on your other thread what baytril dosage she is on, perhaps it isn't strong enough? As CCC4 says, septrin is the better antibiotic for UTI's.

The main thing is that she is eating, pooping and generally being heself. Just watch carefully to make sure she is still eating etc, it is when this stops that you need to worry.

((((Hugs)))) I know how stressful it is having a poorly pig x

Just wanted to say sorry I can't give any advice but I do hope she's on the mend... it's so worrying when they're poorly, I've got fingers crossed for her getting better soon.

Sophie
x

I would say with any infection, the amount of time taken to clear up varies. You may have said on your other thread what baytril dosage she is on, perhaps it isn't strong enough? As CCC4 says, septrin is the better antibiotic for UTI's.

The main thing is that she is eating, pooping and generally being heself. Just watch carefully to make sure she is still eating etc, it is when this stops that you need to worry.

((((Hugs)))) I know how stressful it is having a poorly pig x

She is on 0.2ml of baytril twice a day x

aww, my Sonny sends Connie lots of love and licks. me and the girls send all our get well vibes and love too cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not sure if piggies are the same as rabbits, but rabbits when on antibiotics can have red wee for a bit afterwards...as did my Milly after a course of antibiotics! May not be the same with piggies!

Hope she gets better soon x>>

She is on 0.2ml of baytril twice a day x

In my experience, 0.2mls isnt a srong enough dose for a medium to severe infection. Dosage depends on weight of piggy and type of infection.

I am feeling very sad as you know because I have just lost my beloved Lennie and I wish I had done a couple of things dfferently. Please, return to your vet and ask for septrin. In the meantime, you could phone and ask if you can up the dosage to 0.4mls until you get back to see him. Ask your vet to weigh Connie and don't be shy to ask for a decent dosage according to her weight. Get some bio lapis in and give her that 2 hours after her antibiotoc to help her tummy.

Fiona x

Thank you for that Fiona. I can't do anything until after the weekend now but luckily she is due to go back on Wednesday so I'll probably take her back on Tuesday now. The vet did weigh her. Where can I get bio lapis from (sorry to sound thick :red). I'm just really worried that it's cancer or something but if it was this, wouldn't she have other symtoms? The vet did feel round her tummy x

its more likely to be from eating beetroot/red veggies or from a kidney infection xxxxx

ohh,just a thought,try to feed less calcium rich foods. it could be kidney stones cxxxx

It sounds like an infection Claire, but obviously I am not a vet. Has she done any more red wee? your vet will be able to give you some bio lapsis, you can also get pro biotic from pet shops. It helps settle their tums when on antibiotics.

Thank you everyone. I'm sure I am worrying about nothing. She did a red wee on her towel today whilst out in their pen but I cleaned out their hutch today and can't see anything just yet. I have only been feeding them lettuce, apple, stir fry veg and lots of hay since Tuesday when she went on the antibiotics. If it is kidney stones, what will they do to treat it? xx

Last edited:
They can operate to remove them. Our Roly had them but he had something not quite right with his internal plumbing so they couldn't operate on him, but he was unusual. Has she done any painful squeaks when weeing?

Thank you for that Fiona. I can't do anything until after the weekend now but luckily she is due to go back on Wednesday so I'll probably take her back on Tuesday now. The vet did weigh her. Where can I get bio lapis from (sorry to sound thick :red). I'm just really worried that it's cancer or something but if it was this, wouldn't she have other symtoms? The vet did feel round her tummy x

Stop stressing honey! it is very very unlikely to be cancer. You can get bio lapis from any vet or online, but if her tum is ok and she is eating and pooping, she will be fine. It is always useful to have some in just incase though and critical care incase they stop eating. I get mine from "vet uk"

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...0fe44e2c41e5d2bcda1849caf92&keyword=bio+lapis

Their delivery is brilliant. I had thrown out my last batch of critical care because it was out of date and ordered some for Lennie yesterday at 11am. It came this morning, too late for poor Lennie, but what brilliant service! Why not phone your vet in the morning and say she still has blood in her urine and ask if you can either up the dosage to 0.4mls x twice daily or just pop in to pick up some septrin, no need for more consult fees unless necessary. x

They can operate to remove them. Our Roly had them but he had something not quite right with his internal plumbing so they couldn't operate on him, but he was unusual. Has she done any painful squeaks when weeing?

Not that I have noticed. Would she be giving out a painful squeak each time she wee'd?

Stop stressing honey! it is very very unlikely to be cancer. You can get bio lapis from any vet or online, but if her tum is ok and she is eating and pooping, she will be fine. It is always useful to have some in just incase though and critical care incase they stop eating. I get mine from "vet uk"

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...0fe44e2c41e5d2bcda1849caf92&keyword=bio+lapis

Their delivery is brilliant. I had thrown out my last batch of critical care because it was out of date and ordered some for Lennie yesterday at 11am. It came this morning, too late for poor Lennie, but what brilliant service! Why not phone your vet in the morning and say she still has blood in her urine and ask if you can either up the dosage to 0.4mls x twice daily or just pop in to pick up some septrin, no need for more consult fees unless necessary. x

Thank you so much for that Fiona :) Sorry, I'll stop stressing now :) xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back