• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone using a Essegi Rodent Cage Baffy 120 2-storey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A small village near Glasgow, in rainy Scotland!
I've been looking for a couple of cheap nero four online (boo!) and recently found this cage on zoo plus:-

98936_essegi_baffy2_neu_1.jpg

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/guinea_pig_cages/137451

Perfect, declares I, two levels of two big cages, I can put one group in the bottom and one in the other. However, as can be clearly seen there is a ramp and a hole in the top level.

Does anyone have this, or know anyone with it and know if it can be used as two different cages?

The ramp should be removable, and I would think that if you put someone on the floor of the top cage like a piece of correx or something, it should be fine to use as two seperate cages. I was looking at it too, as a space saver if I get more. However, I would think cleaning it out might be difficult, for a proper clean I would think you have to take it apart, but if you are using fleece towels etc I find this so quick and easy to clean in my one level plastic cage that I would think it shouldn't be much trouble.

Might be tricky to get the bottom group out too, if they are runners/hiders, as that bottom door looks fairly small. Good luck though, if you go for it I would be interested in knowing how you got on!

:)p

Last edited:
Oh georgie you'll have to let me know me know how you get on - any idea when you'll be getting it? (As this is sort of a matter of urgency for me...>_<) And could you let me know if it is sealable?

Azura - I had thought of all that - apparently the trays lift out for easy cleaning (according to zoo plus, anyway). Luckily I am adept at grabbing piggies through the smaller doors as all my cages are stacked due to front access only!

I've sent a query off to zoo plus - if it is sealable that would be preferable to having to slap some plastic down. My worry would be of piggies moving the plastic from the hole and falling! D= (as mine love to burrow under fleece, damn them!)

I've sent a query off to zoo plus - if it is sealable that would be preferable to having to slap some plastic down. My worry would be of piggies moving the plastic from the hole and falling! D= (as mine love to burrow under fleece, damn them!)

Hmmm good point! You could cut a bit of whatever so that it is the size of the whole floor space so it wouldn't move? Or perhaps cut a little something and glue it to the underside of the tray (no one would see unless crawling on the floor looking up) but I'm not too sure about the hygene of this. If it were plastic like what the cage is actually made from I should think it would be ok. Hmmm yes, I hope zooplus can help you with your query! It's a lot to spend if it isn't workable how you want once it arrives.

Good luck! :)p

Hi

I have just bought the same 2 story cage and am thinking of splitting it by removing the ramp and blocking the hole on the top floor and adding a "mezzanine" to each level.

Just wondering if you did the same and if you had any advice?

Thanks

I know this is a very old thread but was hoping it was still 'live'. I've just ordered the 2 tiered cage, if any of you have one would you be able to tell me how long the main ramp is? Also, do your piggies use them easily (ie there isn't a danger for them to fall off the side?mallethead)? I've just bought some VetBed (as recommended in one of the other threads) so will be cutting that down to size and hope that it makes cleaning a lot easier.
My piggies are currently in a smaller cage and I think it's too small for them hence why I'm splashing out on a big one. I'm also using sawdust but I think it makes them sneeze sometimes.
Anyway, information on the 2-tiered would be very welcome 8;)

We're looking at the two tier one aswell for Dindy and Cupcake, anyone have experiense of these?

These cages are awful - I wouldn't bother wasting your money. I have the 3 storey one. I bought it 2 years ago and after using it for two winters I gave up & bought a second hutch which now sits in my dining room like a piece of furniture. With these cages the floor size of each level is pretty good but the holes are cut slap bang in the middle of the floor with not a lot of room around the two sides so I was forever checking one of the pigs hadn't fallen down the hole. The floor is also smooth with no texture at all so unless you are using vetbed every time the pigs move they slip and shoot all the bedding everywhere. Also as someone questioned, yes it's very difficult to get to the piggies when they run under the covered end - a) the ramps are in the way and are tricky to take in and out & b) the doors, (although not a bad size in the bottom two levels, though the top level is tiny) are awkward to get your arm in and around due to the heights. It's also really hard work to clean out & you have to physically get your head and neck inside the cage to reach the farthest corners. I cricked my neck loads of times & also hurt my back trying to bend to get in between the levels. The ramps are made out of wood which is fine but they are quite steep & slippery and the feet-grips are only small so some of my pigs couldn't get up them, the ones that managed to get up then slid down & others refused to use them completely. I then decided to separate the pigs & blocked off the holes by sticking a double layer of adhesive tiles over them. That was the only thing that was actually a success. The cage seemed a good buy at the time - I now know better! Hope this info helps. xx

Kimberley... just want to remind you that you just finished building a fantastic monster of a cage... :)) Why are you even getting ecited about this one..? Turn away, be strong!

I have the three storey version of this cage. Although I would liken cleaning it to wallpapering one's hall through one's letterbox I am pleased with it overall. I also have a 5X2 grid C&C loft extension (itself extended with a 2X1 and 2X2 shelf at the sides) above it. (Search for loft extension and you will find it when it was only 4 storey but the forum is too slow at the moment). I have also added some extra levels inside the cage itself. My pigs seem to like all of the levels and have no problems with the ramps once they got used ot them. Even my 'new pig' that arrived last Monday is going up and down the ramps without any trouble at all now that she is used to them.

Since I swapped to fleece it is much easier to clean. For me the sectret has been ensuring that there is enough 'material' under the fleece or vet bed to absorb any wee. I have also made some extra "pads" for the corners (they are sunken). I have holes in my fleece and vet bed to match the holes in the cage.

I did split the cage while my boar when being neutered and for his six week post-op period. You can either split it in the middle of a level or block up a hole and take the ramp away.

My complaints about it are that it could be so much better designed. The bars could be thicker. They are very flimsy where the doors attach at the front. I don't like the plastic houses that come with it. I don't like the way that the doors open and get in the way of each other. The top door is way too small (I open the whole top front) and the door on top is too high to reach. You cannot unhook the ramps without taking the cage apart (not realistic for cleaning) so they are safer but it it inconvenient when you want to remove them for some reason.

For me, at the time, I knew little about GPs and I bought it beacuse it was the biggest thing I could find at the time. It was very expensive but I convinced myself that it would give me years of use.

Also I adapted the ramps. I used carpet at first then I swapped to sandpaper to help with wearing the nails. I also put sides on some of the ramps. One day I will get round to writing all about it on the cages thread!

Have you got any piccies caviaporcellus, We are only looking at this style of pen because of the Very limmited suface area in Lynda's place. We literally cannot fit anything bigger than a '100' series size of pen. Even the '120' size pens are too big. As for C&C, we can only dream.

Have you got any piccies caviaporcellus, We are only looking at this style of pen because of the Very limmited suface area in Lynda's place. We literally cannot fit anything bigger than a '100' series size of pen. Even the '120' size pens are too big. As for C&C, we can only dream.

Hi Dindypig
There is a photo of mine in the thread:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55090
although it is now out of date as I keep changing and adding to it.

There is a 100cm version of this cage. Zooplus sell it.
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/100_cm_cages/137454

They also sell another similar one:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/guinea_pig_cages/100_cm_cages/13324
This is the two storey but I think there is a three storey too. I did not like it because the doors look too small and the box on the side wastes space.

The fact that the cage is on wheels makes it easy to pull out to hoover behind as they do manage to kick poop off the platforms onto the floor. I designed my 'extension' so that I can simly detach the ramp and wheel out the cage to clean behind but I can't move the C&C bits. Have a look at Kimberleys_wheekers C&C though as that is fantastic and moveable and you could customise it to the exact size that you have if you are handy.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/95923

I have just bought this one. I received it last Monday but the lip around the base was cracked so I had to wait another week to get a new one. It comes from Germany. It arrived yesterday and to my dismay this one is a bit cracked too. I can't be bothered waiting another week to get another which may be the same so have just kept it. They are not the easiest cages to assemble due to the lack of decent instructions. I had a terrible time trying to entice my boys to go up the ramps to the shelves where their hay, water and food is.

The water bottle which is supplied with it is useless and is not in the bin. It never stopped dripping.

Sandra

I've got one of these (3 story) When I bought it I also got tunnels made for all the ramps, and all my pigs except Old Ginger (who's since died:( ) have used them.

I have used it as one cage, as three and as one single + one two level cage. I use cardboard to cover the hole (usually amazon "wrapping" from books I've ordered from them) and it's always been fine. I use newspaper +hay + it's never slipped about. Also no pigs have fallen down the hole! When I first used the cage though I built a makeshift wall around the hole using small pieces of log and velcro to hold them in place! Now they know what to do I don't use the logs anymore though.

You can't comfortably have a guinea pig who runs away/won't be very easily picked up in the top, because of the small door. There's a bigger door on the top but because the cage is so high I need to stand on a chair to get a pig out that way!

The thing I don't like about it is that the bars around the doors have some places where it's very sharp + I keep scratching myself on them!

I take it apart to clean out, it was tricky at first putting it back together but after a few times I got better at it!

Zoo plus seems a bit unpredictable - there was a house missing when I got mine but they'd just reduced the cage by about £50 so I didn't worry about it.

Zoo plus seems a bit unpredictable - there was a house missing when I got mine but they'd just reduced the cage by about £50 so I didn't worry about it.

I had a house was missing too but they didn't knock £50 off, they just sent me another. I need to brush up my complaining skills! Do you have any tips? :)

I'm not that good! I bought the cage + then it arirved and I thought there were a few things wrong with it - There was a house missing, one slighlty broken, and I couldn't get the ladders to fit at first. The ladders did turn out to fit ok in the end.

I checked on the website to see if there should have been two houses, and I saw that it'd been reduced by £50 since I bought mine! So I said what was wrong + said I would overlook it all if they refunded me £50 - they said they woudn't so I said that if they couldn't then I woudl return it, as it had all these problems, then order another one, at the lower price. I didn't really want to do that because I needed the cage asap. When I said that they agreed to refund the £50.

I wish they sold those in Canada... the only way I have room for more piggies is to increase the size upwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back