• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Errol's Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since I adopted Errol, I have noticed he's got lots of 'fatty' tissue under his eyelids. A small bit of this has now dropped outside the eyelid and is sitting in front of his eye. It has happened with two of my pigs before; one pig was put under GA to have it treated, but luckily I was able to ask Vedra to sort the second pig out and it was dealt with under local anesthetic. The second pig lived with this tiny lump in her eye for months before I thought to get it sorted! (The lumps bothered neither pig.)

The lump is not bothering him at all as with the others. I believe it needs sorting out, but given that it's not affecting the pig I was wondering if something like this can be left "indefinitely" or if it is better to get it removed sooner rather than later? The lump is not currently interfering with the normal tear drainage from the eye.

ErrolsEye5Jan.jpg

(Top left of the eye - lower half was a bit watery when I took the pic.)

Will try to get a brighter photo shortly, the natural light in the room was not so good at the time of the photo, hence it not being my usual quality. rolleyes

Vedra said to me that she removes these if they obtrude into the pigs vision, since then the pig may think it has something stuck to its head, and may injure the actual eye accidentally trying to scratch it off.

That's what I thought. I guess I'm just loathe to put him through a few days stay at Vedra's (I would hate for a change of scene to upset the close relationship between Errol and Elijah), and I'm not keen on putting him through it when he's really not taken any notice of this lump.

I think it's down to me to decide whether I want to leave him be and hope he doesn't try to get it off himself, or to act before it becomes a problem.

I hope Vedra can advise you whether to sort it or leave alone for now. If it's not bothering him then I'm not sure I'd interfere for now, but in some ways it might be better dealt with sooner rather than later!

Bless him. If he does go to Vedra's, can Elijah go with him?

Sophie
x

Yep, Elijah will certainly go wherever Errol does. As will I...hopefully. :))

I'll give Vedra a call tonight and see what she thinks. If Errol was bothered about it, there would be no question on getting it sorted. The fact that Tuppy lived with hers for so long and that Errol is taking no notice of his eye makes me wonder if it is 'worth' getting Errol's removed, if you see what I mean. Having Errol's eye treated would, at this time, be a preventative measure in my mind.

I can see both pros and cons for getting the lump removed now, and also pros and cons for later. This is why I posted the thread - I need outside opinions!

Well, if he were mine and it wasn't causing any problems or discomfort, I guess I'd leave it for now unless Vedra advised otherwise. With Rupert's eye, which had a growth in it, I had to leave it until he was old enough to have a GA, but although it looked bad it wasn't causing him any discomfort as far as I could tell.

Same with the lump on my labs foot - the vets advised we left it unless it changed. It was ok for a few months and then got bigger and started to cause him discomfort, then we had to have it removed.

Not ever an easy decision to make, but hope that helps!

Sophie
x

It does Sophie, thanks. I do keep thinking of how Rupert's eye was, it's good to hear how well he coped with his eye before his surgery.

I can't see exactly, but that looks similar to Sukie's eye. Although she's no longer with me (:()), she lived with an eye that looked like that for about 2 years (you name it, that pig had it!). At one stage the vet was wanting to do something about it, but in the end it just didn't seem to be bothering her, so we left well alone.

Personally I think I'd just observe closely and try to work out if it is causing a problem or not.

Thanks Sarah. My instinct is to leave alone, but at the same time I'm trying to weigh up what damage he could do to himself if it does start to bother him.

What should be a simple decision seems hard!

Oh Laura,I'm so sorry. All my upset, I didn't know about Errol's eye. I hope he's ok honey. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No worries Claire, you have far more reason to be upset than me! Errol's condition isn't serious, I'm not particularly worried myself. Just a bit of a debate going on in my head. :))

Difficult to tell from the photo but the lump looks like a dermoid cyst.
I have removed a number of those under local anaesthesia, no particular problems, more of an interesting surgical exercise!.

I have decided to leave Errol's eye for the time being. He isn't fussed by it at all; naturally, if that changes, he will be going down to Vedra's for treatment.

A couple of extra photos, as promised. Clearer than the first, although there is only so much a photo can show.

ErrolsEye1.jpg

ErrolsEye2.jpg

Simple condition to treat/cure, I normally leave well alone, unless I want something to do!

My late Warren had "fatty eye," which Vedra advised that I leave. At one check up though, she said she'd remove it under local and did, but about 6 months later, it came back. Poor Warren had a good few health problems and passed away around his 3rd birthday, so I don't know if otherwise he'd have had a cycle of having the lumps removed and them coming back if he'd lived longer.

I think the rule is if it's not bothering the pig and it's not inflamed, leave it. Even when removed, it can come back. I'm told it tends to run in families as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back