• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

new baby guinea piging eating my other piggys hair :s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
about 1 week ago i got another baby female guinea pig, i already have two older ones, i have noticed that the new one has been chewing the hair off of one of my pigges bum, why is she doing this? how do i make her stop :o

here are some pics

mapiggies017.jpg

mapiggies019.jpg

mapiggies018.jpg

mapiggies021.jpg

mapiggies020.jpg

Its called barbering.
Could be down to a number of things:
Stress of moving into a new house and into a new group.
Boredom, lots of things in the cage to eat/play with/distract from.
Low fibre in diet, make sure theres lots and lots of hay to eat.
Overcrowding, make sure you have enough room for 3 pigs.
Underlying skin disease, have a good look at their coat. If you suspect any mites/ringworm/lice etc.. take to a vet for treatment. (if there is a skin disease dont forget to treat the other 2 pigs which have been incontact)
Could be a dominance thing, but she might be too young for that.

:)

My peruvian, Squeek is a barber. He barbers himself mostly. He has a looong "tail" as he cannot get to the hair on that spot :))
He has stopped now, and the rest of his hair is growing back. I am convinced his barbering was due to stress, as he started when he was paired up with a boar that bullied him, we split them, and the barbering stopped. It however started again during the time he was alone, he has stopped now as he has a new frend :)
It helps to put a drop of lavender oil in their shampoo, as they ddo not like the taste of it, but will start again once the lavender smell does not remain in the hair anymore.
I found it also worked to wash him with head and shoulders shampoo, but I am not too sure how good it is for them.

Maybe her diet wasn't very high in fibre in her old home, do you know if it was? If so, then it should hopefully stop now that she's in a new home, just make sure she has lots of hay to chew instead.

It could be other things too, or even just a habit she has, it can be quite annoying though, one of my pigs wrecked my old Sheltie's hair one time, poor pig :)

thanks for all the help everyone :(|) i will put some carboard tubes filled with hay for the right now, and i will give them more veg than i useually do, hopefully she will leave florence alone rolleyes

I have a sow who barbers continuously - dosen't matter who she's caged with, what toys she has, what she eats - makes absolutely no difference - she's always done it and as she's 2 years old now I doubt that she'll ever stop..........................rolleyes

Teresa xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back