• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

2 week old baby boy with a surge of hormones really need advice please !

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got my daughter a pet shop piggy about 7 weeks ago, who has given birth 2 weeks ago to 2 very cute little babies however one is a male ad has had a sudden surge of hormones and is constantly mounting his mummy and sister. he is making a funny purring noise and alsmost vibrating when he goes near either of them, is this normal ? or does he need to be seperated ? is 2 weeks to young to leave mum ? mum is getting very grumpy with him, he is being a typical male as i he is not giving in and chases the girls around the cage tut tut naughty little fella rolleyes

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
It is young however if he is showing such behaviour it is worth doing. Make sure that he is eating okay on his own and place him in a cage next to the ladies with a teddy that smells of mum so he does not get lonely.

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Hi there

Two weeks is a bit young to be thinking about separating - they do start practicing early but this doesn't mean he can do anything with it. I separate males once they reach 8.5oz or three weeks - whichever is first. If he's already reached that weight and is eating and drinking for himself then it will be ok to do it earlier than 21 days.

Romily's advice about popping nextdoor to mum with a teddy is a good idea - he may shout the house down though so be prepared for that!

Suzy x

Emmiiee

Hi there

Two weeks is a bit young to be thinking about separating - they do start practicing early but this doesn't mean he can do anything with it. I separate males once they reach 8.5oz or three weeks - whichever is first. If he's already reached that weight and is eating and drinking for himself then it will be ok to do it earlier than 21 days.

Romily's advice about popping nextdoor to mum with a teddy is a good idea - he may shout the house down though so be prepared for that!

Suzy x
haa i have a boy/gil pig living one on top the other, and when suzygpr means they shout she really really means they shout ha! mine are sooo noisy squeekin at each other x

Status
Not open for further replies.