• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

3 Rescue Hammies In One Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bekki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A few days ago I saw an advert for 2 russian hybrid dwarf hamsters for free in the area, so I contacted the owner and it turned out she was in the halls of the uni I attend once a week so I arranged to collect them so at 1pm yesterday I got them then battled carrying the cage etc to the trainstation to get home (I do have a car but the train fare is way less than just parking alone) when I got home I got the OH to meet me at the train station (literally a 3 minute walk to my house) and I settled the hamsters back into the cage they had come with which is sadly too small for permanent housing for 2 hamsters but its a solid safe cage so they can settle in here in the cage they're used to. Then I look on gumtree again and boom theres a lone dwarf in a reasonable cage, so I asked if they could deliver (rather use somebody elses petrol than mine :-P) and they did deliver her a few hours later.

Rescue 1 & 2 are currently unsexed but they seem friendly, currently unnamed too. These came with a pink mini duna (suitable for one dwarf not 2), a fresh packet of shavings, full bag of food, fluffy bedding (urgh) and a box of yoghurt drops (urgh not suitable for hybrids but the syrians and rats will eat them). The cage was spotless and they have been well handled. They're only around 10-12 weeks old so only babies really. The student who couldnt keep them was actually moving back to her home country and couldnt take them with her due to logistical reasons. Shame she didnt get to enjoy them for very long :-) Depending on their sex (havent sexed them yet will do so once they're awake today) and how they get along they may live either together or as singles. These 2 will probably be up for rehoming in a few weeks, given their age they may find it easy to find a new home, but I'm happy to keep them.

24231.jpg

Rescue 3 is a female russian hybrid who was just unwanted sadly, I havent given her a name yet. Her cage wasnt clean when she got here, the previous owner had cleaned the base and put new shavings/newspaper in but the shelf, tubes, wheel, house, bowl etc were filthy. She came with a peggy metro which is on the small side but shes happy in there, it does appear to have previously housed a syrian hamster as there are bars with no paint on from bar chewing. Sadly the tubes and connector plates were just revolting and I removed them pretty quickly, but whilst removing them for cleaning I snapped a connector plate (yellow things in photo) so had to do a DIY job to cover the hole in the cage, not a bad thing as its now catproofed.
Her cage now, its been kitted out with an appropriately sized wheel, a sand bath and safe bedding material and the previous connector ports have been replaced with mesh, tubes are a weakness in the cage and I have a cat.

Her cage before, its not clear but all the tubes were filled with vile brown grease, all the joints in the tubing were thick with nearly black grease (from urine) but dwarfies generally dont pee like that so it may have even been from a previous occupant *voms*, the rim of the base was greasy too. The bowl is now her sandbath as its way oversized for food. I left her shavings in to help settle her in, especially given practically everything else in her cage had been changed. She also had a mound of fluffy bedding in her house. Not sure why she was unwanted shes friendly, my guess would be a child lost interest and busy parent etc etc shame though as she is very nice. Her wheel was broken and really chewed too. One of the yellow connectors was already broken, it snapped completely when I took the tubes off to clean.

After all that waffle here is the little lady after a good roll in sand to clean up her fur. I dont think she will be up for rehoming she isnt a baby, and people dont adopt older hamsters. Shes only about 8 months bless her but again I'm happy to keep her or any other ham I take in on a permanent basis.

This is me now full up, got no spare gear to kit out other cages and not really any room for them sadly :-(

I would have done the same.Good that they are now in a caring home.Wish I was closer

Oh how sad she was in such a dirty cage. I cannot believe some people! It is wonderful these hamsters are safe with you now.

I have no idea why people do these things its not hard to keep a cage clean. In other news it may be that the pair of dwarfies is actually a male and a female, one wouldnt stay remotely still for me to be sure but I think that was is female and the one who would stay still is definitely male. Later this evening when they're up by choice ill have another look hopefully I'm wrong and they're both males :-) I am confident sexing hamsters, however this one was not remotely happy and was squealing and biting me which is fair enough its the middle of the day and I had flipped the ham over which they hate so ill have another look later when they're awake.

Last edited:
Oh dear. I hope he is a male.
I also hope so though I do have a stash of cages in the yard (in a spare hutch to keep them dry) so if a litter happens I can split the sexes and later split into smaller groups if required :-)

Well that is lucky. Be nice for the little one not to have to go through pregnancy though.

exactly the same :-) they're only young so it'd be a strain on a young body.

and got a message off a friend ... got another dwarfy coming to me on Tuesday. Taking my total of rescued hams to 30, either rehomed, given "palliative" care, or they've just stayed with me because nobody wanted them who met basic hamster care standards.

I would have done the same.Good that they are now in a caring home.Wish I was closer
Nothing is impossible :D

It is sad, big rescues dont take hamsters routinely there is like nobody there for them. Unfortunately there is another ham in the area in need (free to good home, in a really rubbish cage - I wont pay for the hams and only usually take them in if their cages are either disgustingly dirty, dangerous or they're a pair of hams sharing a too small cage otherwise id be overrun have to prioritise resource somehow I guess) but I am full (actually overfull) so cannot take him or her in right now. Hams are my field of expertise really.

I can confirm we do infact have a male and female who were a pair, it is winter and these hamsters rarely breed in winter, they're young so dont usually breed and they're hybrids who have impaired fertility so whilst its possible I may have a little it is probably more likely that she isnt pregnant thankfully.

Oh you are doing such hard but necessary work. I love your new single girlie. X

:-) thanks 1 of the 4 recent ones has a home with a friend, another is reserved by another friend pending getting her own place :D I do recall you were coming up this way for xmas? If you're up this way again I can happily hand you a hammy @Goth Mummy :-P

Thanks bekki, i will definately contact you when i have my confidence back with hammies! X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back