3 Tier Hutch from Pets at Home - any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jillybean

Has anyone got one of these? It's a Connor 3 tier. Interested to know how easy it is to dismantle into 3 - and do the guineas use the stair bit OK.

B

Becca

Don,t know about the Connor but i have the Thistle Hall for my guineas and it is good.It was easy to assemble and the piggies soon learned how to use the stairs :)

H

hayleyandjohn

I have thistle hall as well. its really good. Although did you find at first they fell down the stair bit cos there is not a guard from preventing them goin over the edge. They gave me a scare a few times!

Reaction score
I've been looking at the thistle hall as well, it's lovely and will go great with my living room :)

C

chinakit

Please be really careful about getting hutches with ramps for guinea pigs.

A few years ago someone gave me a lovely BIG hutch (8ft x 3ft) for my piggies. Five of my girls lived in it. It had an upper level with ramps leading up to it (only about 12-15 inches high). One day one of my girls fell from the ramp, and was bleeding from the mouth. I assumed she had just cut her lips but within an hour she died. The vet did a post mortem and discovered she had broken ribs which punctured her lungs. This was the result of a fall from only about 12 inches. I will never, ever trust ramps again, unless they have very high sides which the guineas cannot get over. Even now, over 10 years on, I feel guilty that my guinea lost her life due to a ramp - and I was too blind, or too stupid to foresee what could go wrong.

Reaction score
I wasn't sure about ramps like what would happen if a piggie fell. So I just made their run the one level just incase.

J

janice-arc

I know a few people who have made boxed in stairs for their piggies which clip on the top floor so they wont fall down and can be removed for cleaning purposes.

H

hils78

I've done that with my girls summer home. Especially as Sue is nearly blind we think.

B

Becca

My O/H has put a really high side on the stairs so the piggies can,t fall.We have also put a high side round the hole at the top of the stairs so they can,t fall through.

J

Jillybean

chinakit said:
Please be really careful about getting hutches with ramps for guinea pigs.

A few years ago someone gave me a lovely BIG hutch (8ft x 3ft) for my piggies. Five of my girls lived in it. It had an upper level with ramps leading up to it (only about 12-15 inches high). One day one of my girls fell from the ramp, and was bleeding from the mouth. I assumed she had just cut her lips but within an hour she died. The vet did a post mortem and discovered she had broken ribs which punctured her lungs. This was the result of a fall from only about 12 inches. I will never, ever trust ramps again, unless they have very high sides which the guineas cannot get over. Even now, over 10 years on, I feel guilty that my guinea lost her life due to a ramp - and I was too blind, or too stupid to foresee what could go wrong.
How awful for you. I've now decided against this hutch. I'm bringing the guineas in for the Winter and want something that's going to look OK inside. Someone near us makes bespoke hutches so am going to see him tomorrow and will make sure that the guineas won't be able to fall off the ramp. Thanks for the advice. You can't feel guilty though - you got her a lovely home with the best intentions.

C

chinakit

Jillybean said:
How awful for you. I've now decided against this hutch. I'm bringing the guineas in for the Winter and want something that's going to look OK inside. Someone near us makes bespoke hutches so am going to see him tomorrow and will make sure that the guineas won't be able to fall off the ramp. Thanks for the advice. You can't feel guilty though - you got her a lovely home with the best intentions.

Thanks for your kind words, but I do still feel guilty, even though I could not really have foreseen what happened. I now seem to be on a personal crusade against ramps for guineas. Rabbits are able to cope, but guineas seem to have very fragile rib cages.

I'm bringing my piggies inside for the winter too - in one-storey indoor cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.