• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

A Guinea Pigs Favourite Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guineafriend

:D Hi.
So with my first Guinea Pigs and so much information around, I am worried about feeding them things that will upset them.

Let me know your Guinea Pigs top 5 favourite foods! :smitten: O0

Well all guineas are different, and some you cant feed all the time but my top 5 are...

Parsely
Dandelions and leaves
Spinach
Coriander
Beetroot

:D

Cat x 0:)

My piggies top 5 faves are:

Romaine lettuce
Parsley
Cucumber
Corn on the cob husks
Fresh grass

I think my lot have a top 20!,they eat for England.

cucumber
celery
corn(silk and leaves)
parsley
spring greens
green cabbage
tomato
kale
cauliflower leaves
broccali
carrots
chicory
peppers(red,green and yellow)
Plus hay and grass of course

*particular faves of theirs!

sweetheart cabbage*
cucumber
carrot
Parsley*                             
brocolli

is it ok for piggies eat banana (the flesh - not the skin?)? Just checking as they seem to like it and havent had any probs as yet with them eating it. They didnt like it too much when I first introduced it - but they love it now. (EDIT couldve been the texture they found a bit wierd!)

they can eat the skin of the banana too, infact mine prefer the skin x

Grass
Dandelions
Dill
Plantain
Chicory
Sunflower Greens
Apple

Hi! sorry can't do top 5, they can't decide! ( ;D ) mine like:
lettuce
grass
sweetcorn on the cob
apple
kale
spring greens
corriander
chard
spinach
dandelions
cauliflower leaves
cabbage (green)
broccoli
red pepper
celery

maisydaisystar said:

My pigs prefer the skins as well.I only give them the skins of organic bananoes though because the inorganic ones are sprayed with a chemical to stop them going brown.

Mashed banana is a good food for pigs that are being syringed fed.

Mine will eat anything, Top 5 in the order they are eaten from the bowl:
Green beans
Celery
Cucumber
Brocolli
Carrot.

Mine's 5 favourites are:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cucumber
Melon
Celery

maisydaisystar said:
maryh said:
maisydaisystar said:

My pigs prefer the skins as well.I only give them the skins of organic bananoes though because the inorganic ones are sprayed with a chemical to stop them going brown.

Great - thanks for that! Appreciate it! O0 Never thought of using it when syringe feeding - great tip!
They seem to prefer banana's to apples but really they are more veggie girls! They love honeydew melon too when its really hot outside cos its cool and watery.
Thanks again! :)

Mypigs are not6 apple lovers,they prefer pears especially the juicy ones.I do not know why but they will not touch melon of any variety,yet I have freinds with piggies who adore melon.My fussy lot do not like soft fruit either,except grapes.

Banana is very nutritious because it contains protien and potassium.,because of the potassium level bananas are especially good for pigs who are being treated with Frusimide.

My pigs to 5 are:

romaine lettuce
carrots
cucumber
clover
parsley

They do not like apples or oranges, peppers. I have not tried any other fruit

maryh said:
maisydaisystar said:

I didn't know that about the spraying them to prevent going brown, I usually but organic anyway, but occasionally not.

I gave banana to Dylan when he was really ill mainly for the potassium and energy and he couldn't get enough of it bless his little heart - we mashed up vits, meds and tiny bits of hay with it and spoon fed to him.

Personally I only give banana as a treat once or maybe twice a week, and the same with parsley which they love.

Our boys' faves are:

Celery
Broccoli
Tomatoes (little baby ones)
Peppers - but we think peppers are responsible to Blaze's occaional bouts of the soft poos, so we only give him a tiny bit, if any
Cucumber
Carrots their ultimate fave!
Greens

They occasionally have a bit of fruit in the form of honeydew melon (love that, wash the skin and they love that too!), kiwi (not so keen on) banana, grapes (but these are quite high in suger, I won't give them more than one grape every couple of weeks), Stawberry, blueberry (love those), small piece of pear. I always try to cut any fruits including tomato up quite small if I can as they can be quite acidic and cause mouth sores.

maryh said:
Banana is very nutritious because it contains protien and potassium.,because of the potassium level bananas are especially good for pigs who are being treated with Frusimide.

My Ruby is being treated with potassium citrate at the mo as she has calcium crystals in her urine (which can irritate her insides and makes her pass blood - possibly because she's had too much parsley - which Ive learnt from! Totally my own fault) so it might be worth my while (and hers) giving her more banana!

Knew banana's are full of potassium - but it didnt twig with me at the time that maybe I should try giving her more banana! How much banana is it ok to give them? Dont want any poopy problems ;)

Really sorry I'm going off the subject of the thread! Sorreeee!

My piggies faverites are

spring greens
apple
cucumber
carrot
broccali
peppers
the occasional cherry tomotoe
and of course fresh picked grass is gone in seconds

The only thing i've found they don't like is baby corn

Status
Not open for further replies.