A question about males.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have had to have one of my boars put to sleep(he had a stroke)and I want to get his friend a new companion.Usually, I have gone along with getting a baby at 8 weeks to put in with an older boar.The last occasion I rehomed a boar who was about 9 months old and had no trouble.My question is this,can I introduce 2 boars about 16 to 20 weeks old to a boar who is about a year old?Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
males don't usually seem to get along as well with another male as well as they would with a female unless they were in the same litter together....

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
males don't usually seem to get along as well with another male as well as they would with a female unless they were in the same litter together....

Hi there,

Please don't comment on posts unless you know your facts else it confuses people. :))

Yes your one year old boar should get on with a baby boar. Many rescues around the UK have a boar dating service where you can take your boy along and he finds a boar that he gets on well with. It's really great and you are guarenteed that they get on rather than a hit and miss purchase from a pet shop.

Boys do fight but usually if they're around the same age and hormonal and it's not always the case.

Another option would be to neuter your boar and get him a sow friend. You have to make sure your vets are cavy savvy!

Have a search around on the forum there's alot of info about boar pairing on here :))

Where are you located?
Alyson xx

Reaction score
I had a boar that was around the same age as yours, he lost his cage mate too. I got an 8week old baby boar (think he was actually younger) and they get along so so well, Branston sort of fathers him and taught him his piggie manners :))
It doesn't matter whether or not they are from the same litter, if you find a local rescue that does boar dating, your boar could pick his own little friend :) x

ILoveGilbertTheGuineaPig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Well what she said is true, but there have been many people who have successfully bonded boars who weren't from the same litter. So don't feel doubtful about your situation. It really depends on the personality of the pigs, but I think it would work.

Reaction score
I`m in Nottingham.
I have paired up boars around 5 times in the past with no problems at all.I suppose it was just lucky that all pigs concerned were laid back.There are two rescues quite local to me which will let you `try` boars together.I really was just curious as to whether 3 boars could co-habit without the neutering.I`d like to rehome 2 if possible!

Joey&Gizmo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would stick to just a pair of boars as a trio is very tricky! But i have heard of some success stories, but you have to have LOTS of space and very laid back piggys. Even if you get them all neutered that wont change there behaviour at all, only neuter if you are pairing a pig with a female.

Thats good that you have a rescue nearby that will bond pigs, i would go for that option if that was me.

Hope the hunting of a new friend goes well :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can, take your boar for some boar dating at a reputable guinea pig rescue; the sticking point of a successful boar bond is mutual linking and character compatibility, not so much age, although if you cannot do that, bonding a baby with an older boar is the second best option.

At 4-5 months old, the youngster is just on the verge of the big hormones, which might work out, but it might not. Trios can work, but the chances of a fall out during puberty is very high. It is more often successful with laid back adult boars.

Here is a list of rescues in your area:
http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp#Nottinghamshire

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There are 'rules' if you like for bonding boars to ensure the best possible outcome. If these are followed, what litter they came from makes no difference whatsoever. People sometimes ignore the rules and it doesn't work, and it is such a shame that the pigs don't get on when it is due to the person bonding them cutting corners or not taking the time to do it properly. I have never had a failed boar bonding, and probably bonded around 40 ish pairs. Please plan and take time to do it correctly. Genuine failed boar bondings are really the minority. x

Status
Not open for further replies.