• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

aaaa fleas wont go away from my cat! :@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i am going mad, my cat will not stop having fleas! We have tried the drips, which doesnt work, the flea collar wont work as he just ends up taking it off somewhere. Do any of you know of any other flea treatments we could have?

Well when my dog had fleas we bought a special shampoo made to kill fleas and gave her a good scrub down. She didn't have any fleas after that. They probably make a shampoo like that for cats too so try that.

And if that doesn't work, take him to a groomer; the one I work at has something called a flea bath or flea soak and that's supposed to get rid of them.

Flea collars are pretty useless, so are powders, pet shop treatments and shampoos are only usually to prevent fleas, not treat them.

Get a spot on flea treatment from a vet's, it shouldn't be too expensive, and will work great, just squeeze the tube onto the back of the neck, don't let them lick it off or eat it or anything. Or Frontline spray, but a spot on is easier, and be careful with frontline, follow the instructions exactly and don't use it more often thatn the bottle says.

And make sure whatever you get if safe for cats :)

My cat kept on getting fleas and after a few days of us getting rid of them, they would come back mallethead Eventually, we took him to the vets and he was prescribed Advantage flea treatment. Touch wood, since then, he has been free from fleas. I think front line is good as well but advantage has to be prescribed by a vet xx

This may sound gross but is possible!

When I was little out cat got fleas ALL the time, every summer they'd get them without fail. Even during other seasons. Nothing worked, we tried everything. My dad used to be the first up in the mornings and he said he'd get loads of bits on his legs as he sat on the loo, haha. Freah blood!

Anyway as horrible as it sounds we think they'd managed to get into the carpet and laid dormant during colder spells but as soon as it got hot again, they'd emerge.

We actually moved(hahaha!) but may be worth gettig you carpets cleaned?

This may sound gross but is possible!

When I was little out cat got fleas ALL the time, every summer they'd get them without fail. Even during other seasons. Nothing worked, we tried everything. My dad used to be the first up in the mornings and he said he'd get loads of bits on his legs as he sat on the loo, haha. Freah blood!

Anyway as horrible as it sounds we think they'd managed to get into the carpet and laid dormant during colder spells but as soon as it got hot again, they'd emerge.

We actually moved(hahaha!) but may be worth gettig you carpets cleaned?

Was just gonna say that! They can lurk in carpet,curtains etc. When my nan had a cat i had a carpet flea spray, forgot what it was called though :( Maybe try a steamer or something to kill them off!

Have you treated your home? Fleas lay eggs which can fall off into carpets, sofas etc. When they hatch they reinfect the cat. You should treat all rooms in your house, even the ones your cat doesn't have access to because fleas might have been carried around on your clothes. Make sure you spray right to the edges of carpets, spray any curtains that hang close to the floor and spray under sofa cushions.

Also get some frontline for your cat. Off the shelf stuff doesn't work.

ewe have not treated all the rooms but i will tell my mum to

you need Advocate for cats it kills everything, as when cats have fleas they also have worms. Advocate kills mites, lice, fleas, worms, every thing but you need to get it from the vets, you also need to treat the whole house with frontline flea spray and repeat it 2 wks later in the house, cats need to be treated every mth for fleas especially if they go outdoors x

you need Advocate for cats it kills everything, as when cats have fleas they also have worms. Advocate kills mites, lice, fleas, worms, every thing but you need to get it from the vets, you also need to treat the whole house with frontlone flea spray and repeat it 2 wks later in the house, cats need to be treated every mth for fleas especially if they go outdoors x

Use this it works! I get it from the vet approx. £24 for 3 pipets but it does everything!

Just to say we tried all carpets sprays/powders etc also which didn't seem to work for us although we never tried to clean the carpet. Sounds like a good idea!

I know this sounds awful but 80% of the fleas live in the carpets, cats beds etc. The eggs drop off your cat and lay in the carpets etc until they hatch. The cycle then goes from there.

You need to treat both the cat and house sprays from vets or online from somewhere like this:
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk

get a good house spray not the cheap ones and get one which lasts for a while as it should last to kill of the fleas after they have hatched. We have always used frontline, thats available from hyperdrug too. I have always found frontline good. We use drops on the back of the neck.

i hope this helps, Helen

Hi

To kills fleas you need to treat both the animal and the environment at the same time

So for your cat you need to go to the vets and get a spot on treatment such as advantage, frontline etc. These are the most effective treatments for cats and as other members have pointed out flea collars are useless as are most non prescription treatments. You need to continue using this every month even in the cold weather otherwise your cat will become susceptible again.

You can also get tablets for cats and dogs called capstar - these kill any fleas on your pet pretty much straight away and can be very useful for helping get rid of a large amount of fleas before starting with your monthly treatment (I have used this when my cat came in contact with a hedgehog and I could see the fles jumping off her :)>>>)

Treating the indoors is also an important aspect of flea control. Eggs will be laid in your carpet, pets bedding, soft furnishings and on your bed if your cat sleeps with you. The eggs then hatch and will jump onto your cat, reinfesting it.

For this you need to get a good insecticide - vet kem acclaim and stay kill are the best
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/c-13-cats_flea-and-tick.aspx?pagenum=2

you can get these online or from the vet. Other flea sprays from P@H for example are useless.

Vaccuum every room from top to bottom, move furniture into the middle of the room and hoover in all the edges, where the carpet meets the skirting. You then need to treat each room with an insecticide spray (don't forget curtains etc) - you don't need much just a light spray (read the instructions carefully) and remove ALL pets before using. This should be effective for between 6-12months

Make sure you treat the pets bedding with insecticide as well, a wash in the washing machine is not always effective. I always treated my carpets, curtains etc twice a year regardless of whether I saw a flea on my cat or not!

Providing you treat your cat monthly with a spot on treatment and treat your house you should find that the fleas disappear fairly quickly. Flea shampoos are not brilliant either but can be good to remove dead fleas/eggs from your pets coat and remember to brush your cat regularly to do the same.

Good Luck

x

I have a birman that suffers terribly from flea allergy, frontline used to work but after a while the irritation would just not clear up. She went to the vets where she had steroid injections ( to reduce the irritation) and the vet recommended Advantage - touch wood no flea problems so far.

Well when my dog had fleas we bought a special shampoo made to kill fleas and gave her a good scrub down. She didn't have any fleas after that. They probably make a shampoo like that for cats too so try that.

And if that doesn't work, take him to a groomer; the one I work at has something called a flea bath or flea soak and that's supposed to get rid of them.

it would take a brave person to shampoo a cat, * might end up bleeding lol x:)p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back