• Potential Forum Meet - Manchester Saturday March 2nd Details here!.
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.
  • As from Wednesday, 30th January, Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic will be relocating to 1 The Drive, Northampton, NN1 4RY

aagghhhh seen mouse poo in my guinea shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
just been cleaning out my guineas and noticed some poo on top of the cage there is know way its baby guinea poo as its on a blanket that ive not used yet.any tips on how to get rid?I'm also getting some traps 2moz but once i have them will i always have them now?cant really see where they have got in but will have a better look 2moz..also what health problems does this pose for the guineas?:a19::a19:

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Fortunately not a problem I have had but would think traps are a good idea rather than anything chemical. See if you can find where they are getting in to and try and block off. I'm sure someone can help regards hazards to pig health. x

teadragon

Adult Guinea Pig
We had a similar problem with mice over one summer.

Then we found a cat.

We haven't had a problem or the pleasure of any wildlife since then.

Modwyn

Adult Guinea Pig
I'd find their access and or egress points and block if possible, set traps wash the blanket, don't leave any excess food in the shed, do you keep the spare hay in there? if so check for visitors.

On a side note I have a great mouser you can have I'll even deliver him and incase you think I'm kidding I'm not long story.

teadragon

Adult Guinea Pig
The cat who lives with us is a Maine Coon so she's pretty big and her size looks larger because of her fur. She's intimidated by the rabbits so she's hardly a lion but with anything which isn't a lagomorph she seems pretty confident in herself.

Bird? FEEL MA PAWS
Mouse? No mouse left!
Seagull? Exterminated!

She's pretty... enthusiastic, which does suck because I enjoyed having birds and seagulls in the garden. One good thing about her being there, like I said, is that she's scared of the rabbits and has our garden as her territory so she does a great job of keeping other cats away from the critters.

teadragon

Adult Guinea Pig
To be more helpful

I'm sure that if you put a mouse in a humane trap and then take the mouse, I think, it's about 3 miles from your house then the mouse is unlikely to return to your home again.

However, I've also heard of people who didn't want to let the mouse loose in foreign land and who have kept the mouse in a mouse farm once caught.

Mice can carry diseases in and on them. I'd only really expect parasites or something such as an abscess to result from a bite. Perhaps worms? I'm not 100% sure, though. If you ask your vet they should be able to help you with any medical concerns. Chances are that it'll be a wait and see situation.

The hay, if it's loose on the ground and not boxed, will provide a comfortable snuggly place for a cold mouse.

Food will feed the mouse. The guinea pig hutch is the perfect place for a mouse to eat and sleep in the cold weather we're having now, it's a lil' haven!

Do find any openings the mouse can get in through... be careful you don't block the mouse in though :)

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
mallethead
To be more helpful

I'm sure that if you put a mouse in a humane trap and then take the mouse, I think, it's about 3 miles from your house then the mouse is unlikely to return to your home again.

However, I've also heard of people who didn't want to let the mouse loose in foreign land and who have kept the mouse in a mouse farm once caught.

Mice can carry diseases in and on them. I'd only really expect parasites or something such as an abscess to result from a bite. Perhaps worms? I'm not 100% sure, though. If you ask your vet they should be able to help you with any medical concerns. Chances are that it'll be a wait and see situation.

The hay, if it's loose on the ground and not boxed, will provide a comfortable snuggly place for a cold mouse.

Food will feed the mouse. The guinea pig hutch is the perfect place for a mouse to eat and sleep in the cold weather we're having now, it's a lil' haven!

Do find any openings the mouse can get in through... be careful you don't block the mouse in though :)
we have done that before we had a new kitchen 2yrs ago and hubbymallethead didnt block the old hole up where the sink waste pipe was we didint notice this is where they were coming from until after 2 mths of posion,and mice climbing up my curtains when i was in bed,and running around my daughters bedroom and catching 6 on a trap in 2 hours..hubby went to get some bin bags from under the sink and low and behold the mice were useing this hole has a front doormallethead hubby blocked it up guess what we blocked the mice into the house took a further 2mths or posion to get rid:...

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
What teadragon said. You also have to be careful because mice can ingest poison from elsewhere, excrete it and guinea pigs can ingest it that way if the mice are pooping in/near where they eat.

The humane traps work great, got rid of the one living in our big cupboard (it's a big old place) but blocking off all access is the only way to really keep them at bay!

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
I had mice in my shed in Jan of this year, i saw them sitting happily munching away in the piggies bowls. I put humane traps down & caught nothing. The only way i got rid of them was to bring all the pigs into the house & clean their hutches. The mice ate the bits of food that'd collected in crevices but once that was gone they left. Touch wood they've not returned.

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
I had mice in my shed in Jan of this year, i saw them sitting happily munching away in the piggies bowls. I put humane traps down & caught nothing. The only way i got rid of them was to bring all the pigs into the house & clean their hutches. The mice ate the bits of food that'd collected in crevices but once that was gone they left. Touch wood they've not returned.
mine are not the humane ones:0 once i had them in my house and they came back around the same time every year put down poison and traps but they started to get in the wall cavertiy we had around 30 or so in at once it was so bad has we live near fields,,so the traps i am using is the only why i think i can get rid:0:...

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
mine are not the humane ones:0 once i had them in my house and they came back around the same time every year put down poison and traps but they started to get in the wall cavertiy we had around 30 or so in at once it was so bad has we live near fields,,so the traps i am using is the only why i think i can get rid:0:...
I used the non-humane ones after the humane ones caught nothing & before i resorted to bringing the piggies in. I caught 2 & i did feel bad but would've felt much worse had something've happened to one of my pigs because of them.

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
it is sad when you catch one but its even worse when you get then running up your curtains when your in bed and they breed like wild fire,i became that scared to go in the house i started to get panic attacks i dont want it get that way with my guinea shed ive just done it up so nice with a carpet,curtains,nets,and heater it look like a house now:))@) dont want bloody mice as cute has they are scaring my that much i have to move the guineas back outsidegrrrr:))

What are you using to bait the traps? Put all food and hay if possible in big dustbins with lids so they can't contaminate foodstuff... Remove anything they could make into bedding such as blankets. I don't like using traps that kill but found it the only easy way of ridding the pests!

Status
Not open for further replies.