• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Abandoned mice-please help

Missy23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am a new member but regularly come to this forum for piggie advice and you guys are so friendly and helpful so I need your help!

A strange thing happened this evening. I went for a Sunday evening walk when I saw someone get out their car and put a cardboard box on the ground near some woodland near me. I thought it was weird but carried on walking. When I got to the box, it was a slightly shoved under a bush and then it moved! I nearly jumped out my skin! I used a stick to open it and I saw two sets of eyes looking up at me. I thought it was two gerbils at first so closed the box. I waited just in case the person who left it came back but they didn’t and took it safely home (I’m not sure if this is right or not, but if I left them they probably would have died) I then opened the box up when I got home and realised it was two mice! One is black and white, the other brown and white. They are cold and very hungery/thirsty. I have given them some food and they are currently in an old rat cage I have in the garage.

I don’t know what to do! I am going to keep them warm/fed/watered and call the vet in the morning. I am not sure what to expect the vet to say. is there anything else I should do?

i didn’t get the number plate of the car btw, I am annoyed that I didn’t.
Please help! Thanks!

To make it clear, the mice are in my living room (away from my pigs) an not in the garage. I found the old rat cage in the garage!

Gosh how wonderful you happened to be there to save them - it must have meant to be - I think you’ve done everything you can ie food/ water and a warm cage indoors . Hopefully your vet can suggest a rescue .... be careful tho as a lot of people want mice for their reptiles etc. Sorry I cant be of help really but you are really kind and caring to rescue them 🥰

I don't know anything about keeping mice, but checking they are in good health at the vets seems a good start in the morning. If you don't want to keep them, maybe Tiny Paws MCR rescue in Sale would be able to offer them a space and eventually rehome them.
Sad that people think it ok to abandon pets where they will probably die. Surely the RSPCA could have helped?

That’s what I thought @qualcast-flymo! Surely if you know you can’t look after an animal you give them a call! It makes me sad and angry but who am I to judge. You are right Roselina, it’s fortunate I was there and I’m sure any of you guys would have done the same, I guess people (especially now) are having a really hard time with covid etc but it’s no excuse.

Good luck today hopefully things will workout. I’m sure those little lovelies have had a comfy warm night ! All thanks to your care 🥰

Well done for taking them in - poor things.
A vet is a good place to start and they may be able to direct you to someone who can take them in permanatly.

Well done for taking them in, i’m sure the mice are very grateful! It’s so sad that people feel that abandoning animals is the easiest option:(:(

Sorry that you have found yourself in this situation. As @Qualcast&Flymo has said, please try Tiny Paws Rescue in Sale. They are a very small rescue but may be able to help you.

You were certainly in the right place at the right time. You’re an angel for taking them in. I am sick of people who take animals without considering responsibilities. Well done and please keep us posted. Hopefully they will find a loving forever home soon .

Hi everyone

I have been to the vet this morning. The mice are over weight and a bit snuffly. I got them some medication for a possible respiratory infection. The mice are both boys so no pregnancy watch! They are around 6 months old. The vet said they couldn’t take them in but to contact a rescue if I didn’t want them. She also said male mice are hard to home (is this right?) and she is hearing that animals are getting abandoned more and more these days (especially rabbits!) so they will be hard to home. It makes me sad. I am in quandary about what to do tho,whether to keep them or not.
i did pick them up a few toys and treats from the shop and have paid for the consultation/meds for them which has cost me £100+ but I am not sure.
thanks for your help everyone. I will keep you updated!

I know it’s not about money or anything, I do grow attached to animals very quickly and I feel like these little guys need me (sounds weird I know) but just looking at their faces makes me smile. I feel like I can be their protector. But I also need to balance the needs of my other pets. I have 4 piggies which need my attention and love too.
It’s a hard decision when my heart says yes keep them and my head has doubts!

I know it’s not about money or anything, I do grow attached to animals very quickly and I feel like these little guys need me (sounds weird I know) but just looking at their faces makes me smile. I feel like I can be their protector. But I also need to balance the needs of my other pets. I have 4 piggies which need my attention and love too.
You have already done a wonderful thing for these boys, so whatever you decide from here on you should be proud to have helped them as much as you have.
If you already have an appropriate cage maybe keep them for a few days and see how you feel then.
After that you might have a better idea if you have the time and resources to give to more pets.
If not definitely try a rescue to regime them.

Thank you so much for helping the mice, I absolutely love mice, they have been SO much easier to care for over this difficult period as they eat anything!
I don't know about it being hard to find new homes for them, I have been on a waiting list for my new ones.
Sadly I haven't an inch spare for any more cages, the guinea pigs take up too much room! If I had space I would take them on for you, but I'm sure you will be able to find them a new home - there are quite a few mice and rat fans out there.

Sounds like you really care for them. This annoys me so much mice don't live long and I know this year's been unpredictable but if you can't commit for a couple of years you really shouldn't be getting any pet (anger aimed at original owners not you, you have been amazing). I would love some mice but sadly that's not possible for me right now I hope they find a nice forever home with lots of nice toys and cosy bedding. I would love to see some pictures if you have any

It would be lovely if you could give them a forever home, but of course you have to put yourself and your other pets first, and work out if it's viable to keep them. Have you tried Tiny Paws or other rescues? Glad that they are reasonably healthy, hope the meds cure the sniffles quickly.
Thank you so much for helping the mice, I absolutely love mice, they have been SO much easier to care for over this difficult period as they eat anything!
I don't know about it being hard to find new homes for them, I have been on a waiting list for my new ones.
Sadly I haven't an inch spare for any more cages, the guinea pigs take up too much room! If I had space I would take them on for you, but I'm sure you will be able to find them a new home - there are quite a few mice and rat fans out there.
👍
Would you happen to know if there are any mice owners forums or fb pages, that might have info on rehoming/rescue?

I thought that male mice couldnt be kept together due to high likelyhood of fights?

Erins animals and emiology on youtube are mouse experts.

Good luck and well done for rescuing them.

Back