• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abcess on belly drained or Surgery?

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there... my little Buttercup has an abcess on his belly. Should he get it drained or surgically removed? He's 3. Its getting bigger like filling with more fluid so outwards. I just hate him having surgery... but worried about infection with drainage bc it's on his belly... close to dirty fleece. Your thoughts?

Thank you

Hi there... my little Buttercup has an abcess on his belly. Should he get it drained or surgically removed? He's 3. Its getting bigger like filling with more fluid so outwards. I just hate him having surgery... but worried about infection with drainage bc it's on his belly... close to dirty fleece. Your thoughts?

Thank you

Hi!

If an abscess is sitting deep enough that it can be removed operatively in one go, then this is the preferred option to having an abscess lanced, marsupialised (stitched open), kept open for as long as possible (which means working the scab off the opening in the later days and flushed twice daily in order to allow any pus and least fleck of infection to drain out while the abscess heals from the inside out. Any little bit of infection left in one of the pouches will mean that sooner or later it is back worse than ever.

Even with all the concerns re. an operation and the necessary recovery care support, getting rid of an abscess in its entirety at once would be my own preference. I have done the flushing bit with stubborn jaw abscesses and found it rather hard going.
If the abscess is well away from any major organ, then the operation should not be too risky and recovery should be fairly straightforward in my own experience with lumpectomies, some of which were emergency ops on my elderly sows.

But please accept that I can only give you my personal opinion and not make the decision for you.

Hi!

If an abscess is sitting deep enough that it can be removed operatively in one go, then this is the preferred option to having an abscess lanced, marsupialised (stitched open), kept open for as long as possible (which means working the scab off the opening in the later days and flushed twice daily in order to allow any pus and least fleck of infection to drain out while the abscess heals from the inside out. Any little bit of infection left in one of the pouches will mean that sooner or later it is back worse than ever.

Even with all the concerns re. an operation and the necessary recovery care support, getting rid of an abscess in its entirety at once would be my own preference. I have done the flushing bit with stubborn jaw abscesses and found it rather hard going.
If the abscess is well away from any major organ, then the operation should not be too risky and recovery should be fairly straightforward in my own experience with lumpectomies, some of which were emergency ops on my elderly sows.

But please accept that I can only give you my personal opinion and not make the decision for you.
Ok. Yes I was thinking of all that with drainage. He said it was a simple surgery. I hate the pain he is afterwards and it's hard to give meds bc I can't touch him. He's very fearful... getting better now. It's taken two years. So I guess I'll put meds on a bit of apple. I just emailed for surgery.

Ok. Yes I was thinking of all that with drainage. He said it was a simple surgery. I hate the pain he is afterwards and it's hard to give meds bc I can't touch him. He's very fearful... getting better now. It's taken two years. So I guess I'll put meds on a bit of apple. I just emailed for surgery.

Hi

Try and use our piggy whispering tips when handling your boy. You are communicating with him in piggy interactive body language and are copying the way that adept piggies deal with their group mates. I have found it very helpful with my own skittish rescue adoptees. They are coming round a lot quicker since because I am making sense to them, they are invited in to be a welcome and loved part of the herd I am leading (which automatically removes me from the predator category) and I am their dominant 'super'-leader, which makes it easier when grooming and handling, especially nail and hair cutting, boar bit checking and cleaning, medicating and support feeding.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

When medicating uncooperative piggies I have found that his grip here helps with medicating; if you combine it with plenty of piggy love gestures, encouragement and praise, it does work. Most piggies will work out that what you are doing is making them feel better and they
will forgive you once the course of medication stops. Giving him a special treat of his favourite veg afterwards will also help.
You control the upper body with your middle and ring finger which leaves you the index and thumb to control the head. You additionally restrict any head movement with your upper body and leave the other hand free for the syringe.
IMG_0071_edited-1.jpg

Hi

Try and use our piggy whispering tips when handling your boy. You are communicating with him in piggy interactive body language and are copying the way that adept piggies deal with their group mates. I have found it very helpful with my own skittish rescue adoptees. They are coming round a lot quicker since because I am making sense to them, they are invited in to be a welcome and loved part of the herd I am leading (which automatically removes me from the predator category) and I am their dominant 'super'-leader, which makes it easier when grooming and handling, especially nail and hair cutting, boar bit checking and cleaning, medicating and support feeding.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

When medicating uncooperative piggies I have found that his grip here helps with medicating; if you combine it with plenty of piggy love gestures, encouragement and praise, it does work. Most piggies will work out that what you are doing is making them feel better and they
will forgive you once the course of medication stops. Giving him a special treat of his favourite veg afterwards will also help.
You control the upper body with your middle and ring finger which leaves you the index and thumb to control the head. You additionally restrict any head movement with your upper body and leave the other hand free for the syringe.
View attachment 153476
Thank you for that! His belly will be too sore to handle him though... so I'll have to put on a piece of apple. He loves apples. Good tips... I use a box to pick him up otherwise he screams and that breaks my heart. But the box and I should do it every other day bc I cuddle in fleece with treats and he relaxes. He's the cutest little pig!

Attachments

• 20190612_165244.jpg
    20190612_165244.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
Back