About me and my piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KatsCavies

I would just like to take a moment to explain to you all about me and my piggies. Please don't shoot me down in flames for what I'm about to say.
I keep pigs for exhibition and because I love them.
I only breed my pigs as and when I need babies and all sows have 1 litter, some of them have more if they are good sows. I keep all my babies and do not sell them. I do not inbreed my pigs, I do not agree with the practice and all my matings are unrelated. I go to shows for the fun side of things and to meet up with other friends who keep pigs. The welfare of my pigs is number one priority and I'm not out there just to win prizes, although I have been lucky enough to win lots. My pigs want for nothing and get everything they need and more.
I'm aware that this is a touchy subject on this forum for reasons I'm unaware of, and I'm always careful as to what I say in my posts so as to not cause trouble.

Kat

M

Michele

I'm glad to see you are a responsible breeder.

As you know this forum is a Rescue Friendly forum and some of us dont really believe in breeding or showing. But saying that everyone has their own opinions and lifestyles and I'm glad you are able to share it with us.

I do hope you are enjoying this forum. If you feel there needs to be improvements or any suggestions what so ever they will be truly welcome. Either PM myself, Ellie(squeakypig) or Kate (Starshone) and we will help you. Or alternatively you can post on the ideas and suggestions baord.

Michele aka Mrs Mod.

G

gothchick1515

Hi! How many pigs do you have? I dont have a problem with breeding piggies as long as they arnt dumped in pet shops, and you sound like you look after them so theres no reason why you should be judged HI! welcome to the forum x

K

KatsCavies

I have 20 piggies at the moment :)

Showing isn't all about purebreds and standards etc, there are pet sections as well. In the pet side the pigs are judged on condition, cleanliness and friendliness. They can be crossbreds, mongrels, anything basically. There is no prize money involved (prize money in the main shows is nothing to write home about) just prize cards and rosettes to be won.

I don't think pet quality piggies (crossbreeds etc) should be bred as there are thousands of them and rescue centres are full of them. I breed foxes, tans (soon) and otters which are rare breeds and not easy to come by.

Kat

G

gothchick1515

Aww loads then i only have two, i have no idea about breeding because ive never done it id worry too much, are there piccies of your piggies around? they have a local pet show every year but i never enter Zubin is too nervous and Harry bites so its not fair on them (My pigs) or the people looking at them x

cashmincal

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Kat! ;D

I'm not anti breeding or anti-showing as that would be kind of hypercritical, but I do not and try not to disrespect those who are so. After all in this planet there are many people with different views and opinions about various subjects, and that makes the world interesting.

I don't mention showing and breeding here but I do mention it on other forums (I won't say the names). I personally think the Tans and Foxes are really striking pigs.

Take care,

Clare

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hi There

The main issue I have with breeding is that so many kids are doing it nowerdays and I find that just wrong. I believe that people who want to breed animals should have a license. That would stop many of the irresponsible breeders about. To many children it seems too much like they treat piggies like toys and not animals.

I don't agree with showing because I think its a fun day out for the owners of the piggies but the piggies don't get any joy out of travelling for hours to get to a show, to be poked and proded and stared at. I think too many people are now trying to get the *perfect* guinea pig and will medel in the lives of the guinea pigs just to get their own way.

I would like this to be a forum where people can share their thoughts and opinions. Thats what forums are all about after all. I just ask that breeding and showing is not promoted or advertised on the forum. My opinions should be respected like I respect everybody elses. I do not want to try and make you or anybody anti-breeding if thats what you choose to do. I would expect the same that you do not try and change my opinions.

Hopefully you understand that. I am not trying to cause any arguements or anything on here. I am pleased you decided to voice your opinions so I only hope you do with mine too!

K

KatsCavies

I agree with most of what you say. There are far too many children who think it is a novelty to breed their pigs even though they do not have the knowledge to do it correctly and wouldn't have a clue what to do if there were complications.
A lot of breeders do put the search for the 'perfect pig' above the welfare of their pigs. The self black has declined in standard so much due to being severely inbred to create that 'perfect pig'. Many self black breeders have had heavy losses with sows and babies and getting hold of blacks now is very difficult, especially sows as no one will part with them.

As for the showing part, most pigs are perfectly happy travelling in their travel boxes to shows. They go in a pen at the show with bedding, food and water. The pigs will go out to be judged and then returned to their pens. There are very few spectators at shows and the exhibitors usually stand around in groups talking to each other, they usually stay away from the pens and don't go looking in as a judge could notice an exhibitor checking his pigs and it is against the rules to allow a judge to know which pigs belong to who. You will find that most pigs make themselves at home and go to sleep in their show pens.

Just like you, I'm not out to cause arguments and I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. Its vital that we all respect one anothers opinions and beliefs :)

I will mention no more the subject of exhibition unless another member asks me any questions etc.

Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.