• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

About me

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
When I joined the forum I didn't really introduce myself. You know my name already. I married Jim on 3 June this year and he is my rock and my best friend. We have been together almost 4 years. I don't contribute to a lot of posts, perhaps because I don't feel I have much to contribute and because I feel fed up a lot of the time. I have 4 good friends but hardly see them. I have thought about sharing what I am about to share for a good wee while now but I suppose was a bit worried about what people would think of me. Even now I am getting a bit emotional.

I have three children, Graeme 28, Daniel 26 and Rachel 21. Graeme and Daniel have been heroin addicts and Graeme spent 21 months in prison. They are not bad lads though. Neither of them are doing anything with themselves and I know Daniel has had and still has I believe a dependance on alcohol. His phone is usually in the cash generator so I can never get a hold of him much. Graeme and Daniel both have anxiety problems. Graeme has Hep C but hasn't gone for treatment yet. He's had it for years. They really stress me out. Rachel suffers from depression and flies off the handle very easily. She is a young 21 year old and has epilepsy and is not your typical young lady who takes a lot of pride in her appearance, she is not very girly.

I found out in June that all three were sexually abused over a period of years by a close friend of our family. It's now in the hand of the police. I don't know if that has any bearing on how their lives have turned out. They didn't have a bad upbringing but that doesn't stop me feeling guilty. I get very emotional very easily. I can't read about people losing their guinea pigs or any of their pets without crying my eyes out. I can't read about cruelty to animals or watch anything like animal 24/7.

I am sorry for going on but I have seen over the weeks how kind everyone is so I have plucked up the courage to tell you about me. I'm sorry for not being a great contributor but reading your stories and seeing all your pigtures is one of the better parts of my day.

I really enjoyed meeting people at Romily (Charlottes) house and am looking forward to meeting people at Gretna. It's really nice to be able to talk about our shared love of guinea pigs.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Sandra
thank you for sharing such a personal story with us. I know its not easy and I cant imagine what your family are going through right now but sending you lots of hugs your way.

I am not one to judge people at all by the way their families have turned out. I came from a very large family with uncles who were always in trouble and it has been embarrassing for me at times (especially once at college when I got asked if I was related to the man who was on the news)! Now I have my married name its much easier lol.

I really hope this person who has abused your children does get what they deserve though.
And remember I am always here for you if you ever wanna chat.
Stacey x

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
I never know what to say in these sort of situations but thank you for sharing this story with us and I know it wouldn't have been easy.
I too would never judge anybody on the way their family may have turned out - everyone has a reason behind it and I hope that in the situation with your children the person who abused them gets what he deserves.

Were all here :) xx

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
I never know what to say in these sort of situations but thank you for sharing this story with us and I know it wouldn't have been easy.
I too would never judge anybody on the way their family may have turned out - everyone has a reason behind it and I hope that in the situation with your children the person who abused them gets what he deserves.

Were all here :) xx

lauralucy

Forum Donator 2017/18
i was going to say the same as hannah.

Good for you sharing it with us. I'm not a judging person, but i do hope that the abuser gets what they deserve.

big hugs and feel free to chat to us :)

Tracyxx

Adult Guinea Pig
If you ever want to talk I'm always happy to chat over PM or MSN. You sound like a lovely caring person :)

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Thank you Stacey. That means a lot. After I had submitted the post I almost wished I hadn't x
Dont be silly hun, sometimes it does you good to get it out.
It's not always easy coping with it all and I have to admit there has been alot of things go off in my family where I have never told friends or my hubby etc just because I am ashamed of it and how they have behaved.
I am just glad I didnt turn out like any of them.

We are here for you whenever you need a friend. xxxxxx

Thank you for sharing your personal storey with us, your always welcome if you want to talk to anyone we're all here :) I hope there's light at the tunnel for you and your family, you all deserve so much happiness after having all been through so much. Justice will be found. Nice to hear you have Jim to support you and of course your gorgeous piggies to cheer you up.

Don't worry about the getting emotional bit....
You should of seen me when my first piggy died in September, my poor mum and step dad! I must of cried for pretty much the whole day! I too sometimes don't read about people loosing their pets and I can't watch animal 24/7 it doesn't take much to set me off either :)

I hope you have a lovely time in Gretna, we are all here for you

Rachel x

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
I understand 100% how hard it is dealing with heroin, my children's dad was on it for year's and he took their toy's back all the time was in and out of prison because of it stole off family member's it is heartbreaking to watch people on it and it is a cruel drug and must be that much harder as it is your children. I hope that you all get support you need to deal with everything that has been thrown at you and that justice is done. Also don't be afraid to talk on here this has to be the most friendly,non-judgemental,helpful and supportive forum.

Thank you for sharing xx

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Thanks to all of you for being so kind and supportive, it really does mean a lot. There isn't a day goes by that I don't have a wee cry to myself. I find it so so hard when I hear people talking about their kids, how well they are doing. When they were young and at school I had such high hopes for them all. I have been going through this with the boys for 12 years and I struggle. Even though I don't say very much on peoples' posts on the forum it is always on and I am always having a read, it does help cheer me up.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Thanks to all of you for being so kind and supportive, it really does mean a lot. There isn't a day goes by that I don't have a wee cry to myself. I find it so so hard when I hear people talking about their kids, how well they are doing. When they were young and at school I had such high hopes for them all. I have been going through this with the boys for 12 years and I struggle. Even though I don't say very much on peoples' posts on the forum it is always on and I am always having a read, it does help cheer me up.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Awww Sandra please dont cry. We are always here to cheer you up and if it means more photos of Reggie to cheer you up then I will post some :(|)
x

Aww Hun it must be hard for you x My young cousin died of a herion overdose (although he was a drug addict he didn't do it to himself on that occassion).
I can't even beguin to image what you've been/going through, I watched his dad /my uncle go to pieces and eventually die a few years after, it rocked our whole family.
My other uncle (the brother) died of liver failure do to alcoholism again our whole family suffered.
Another uncle has been in and out of prision and it can be hard not to blame people for what they do.
I really hope you get some closure soon and the scum bag who did what he did rots in jail.
No one worth their weight would ever judge you as a mother or person as they are somethings that are out of our controll.
Keep your chin up chick x

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Big hugs hun. It's very brave of you to post. Your OH sounds very special. I always think that you can't control what life throws at you. Keep on managing one day at a time and enjoy the smiles when they come along. x

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Thank you Flips. Jim really is very special and makes me laugh. I think if anything happened to him I really wouldn't know how to cope. He's 58 and I'm 50 next year. Not that old I suppose but I sometimes have us both at deaths door lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.