• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess has burst!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just picked Archie up and noticed something yellow on his testicle. At first I thought it was a bit of hair, but after prodding around found it was pus coming out from his abscess! Now I've squeezed all I could out of it (there was a LOT) and put some savlon on, but what else do I need to give him for it? Will he need antibiotics? Is it ok to apply savlon? Help!

When my piggy had an abscess the vet said to keep it clean with diluted savlon / antisceptic ..... she was also on antibiotics though.... her abscess was at her neck (if that makes a difference).

Good luck - I think you've done the right thing emptying it and cleaning it. Could you phone your vet for advice ?

x

I was thinking about phoning the vet to see what they say, but thought I'd come on here for some advice/tips first :)

Yes, he was neutered on the 20th of November. Ok, I will phone the vet now :) Thanks

I'm not very sure about abcesses in piggies but generally a course of anti-biotics is indicated for infected abcesses. It must be awful :(

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

I've rung the vet and they are putting some antibiotics and some hibiscrub to one side for me so I can collect them.

He was such a good boy didn't squeal at all. It must be such a relief for him now it's emptied.

Yeah I hope so. He's on 0.65ml of Baytril and hibiscrub :) Hopefully that will work.

Yeah, I was going to squeeze and hibiscrub morning and night and give him the baytril in the mornings as the girls have their meds then too. God I've got all 3 of them on medication now :red :))

Abcesses are horrible for the guineas, but such fun and very satisfying to pop and flush...

Don't forget to dilute the hibi as neat it is very strong. My vet advises to make the mixture just the 'tinyest tinge of pink'!

Yeah mine said 1 part hibi to 10 parts water, so it was a very slight pink tinge by the end.
And yes, even though I felt slightly sick doing it...it was very satisfying. I bet it must have been relieving for him too. Unfortunately, he hates me now because every time I pick him up I have a prod. I'll have to get him out for snuggles tomorrow.

I love the smell of hibi, lol

I'm sure it must feel nicer for them, like when we get a boil and it's all hot and big and yuk and you pop it and it's just relief. Be prepared to be hated for a bit though :( took Bumble about a week and lots of broccoli to forgive me for tending to his 'manly bits' (or the hole where they were!) all the time

Hehe, I'll stock up on cabbage and yummy bits :). He seems a lot happier now to be honest. He's running about popping and burying himself in all the hay :)) and flirting with the girls rolleyes will nothing stop them :))

Hello! Haven't written on here for ages but just to let you know, I had the same thing a while back with my neutered pig Kevin.

I was squeezing pus out for about 2 weeks, there was LOADS of it and there seemed to be a lot of pressure too, so it tended to shoot out either all over me or across the room :)>>> (strangely satisfying though...)

I had the pus tested at the vet and it wasn't actually infected, it was just sterile pus resulting from the stitches breaking down inside. He still went on Baytril (took a few days for test results to come back so put him on it just in case) and I used Hibiscrub after every squeeze (I love the smell of it too :)) )

In any case, Kevin's fine now and loving life with girlies Shirley and Rita, so all the squeezing was worth it!

Which vet do you go to? I see you're in Gloucester, so not far from me. I'm in Nailsworth and go to Vale Vets in Dursely

Sarah x

Which vet do you go to? I see you're in Gloucester, so not far from me. I'm in Nailsworth and go to Vale Vets in Dursely

Sarah x

He got neutered at Vale vets, but I have got the antibiotics etc from Woods Vets in Quedgely as it's a lot closer to me.
Thats good to hear it may not be infected. I thought it was strange as it had completely closed up and I didn't know how any bugs could have got in there. Another forum user (PiggiePal) said it may have been a reaction to the stitches and glue that they use at Vale vets.
No more pus seems to be coming out at the moment, so hopefully I got most of it yesterday :).

Yes, PiggiePal is my friend Alyson, it was me she was talking about! (Just don't come on here very often)

I think in Kevin's case they used internal stitches and then closed it up with glue. It was definitely just a reaction to the stitches rather than infection, so hopefully the same in your case. Just keep squeezing! I remember I thought I'd got it all, but then it kept coming from nowhere! I was doing it about 3 x a day.

I don't know what you've found in the past, but I prefer Vale Vets over Woods for guinea pigs. I saw someone at Woods with a 3-year old bladder stone pig and was told that he was too old to get stones...

I always try and see Rachel at Vale Vets, although she wasn't available the last time I went so I saw someone called Mark and he was actually very good and thorough :)

Glad you seem to have it under control! My poor piggy jive this time last year ended up spending time at the cct in cambridgeshire from castration abscess. In the end they had to reopen him up and clean out before closing as the fat pads had been put back in and had gone necrotic. Poor boy had 1/2 and egg cup of pus removed! Abscess the only way to get rid of them is to make sure you keep the exit open and don't let it close over until you are 110% you are pus free or they will keep coming back as in rodents abscess tend to be encapsulated. best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back