• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adventerous or Optomistic lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As I'm currently unemployed :( (but actively looking for work) I thought I'd set about doing my garden up.
I've lived at my property nearly 3yrs and the back yard is just... well a mess so (with limited funds) my brother and I are going to try and make a nice garden for my youngest to relax in and feel safe and for my oldest to chill with her mates.
I'm getting very adventerous in the fact that yesterday I was in wickes buying wood to turn in to fence poles (lol) took them home cut them to size and I am now in the process of painting lots of coats of wood preserve on them.
This weekend, weather permitting & hopefully my bamboo screening will have turned up My brother will be at my house helping me to put it all together.
Then when the fencing is up (my brother is VERY optimistic thinking we'll get it done in a day) my other brother is going to help me make some decking.

Then using my birthday money from the other week I'm going to buy a swinging chair (my little girl loves these) and I already have a table and chairs.
Then there's just the grass seed to put down, so by the end of May/June I should have a nice garden just the way I want it.

Oooh and my mum's friend is making my girls a brand new outside run, so everyone should be happy :)

have you thought about a veggie patch? we grow lettuces in the summer and that saves a fair bit of money - wwe love salads and my boys get the rest!

Have you told the piggies about the 'grass seed to go down'? I bet they will have a vested interest in any area of grass you grow....they do make wonderful lawnmowers!:))

I can't grow things lol even my plastic flowers die :(.
Although my youngest is pestering me for a plastic type green house (my garden isn't very big) but I think I maybe able to find room for one for her.
She absolutely loves to grow things and it'd be nice for her to grow some veg for the piggies.

LOL just noticed the typing mistakes in the title.
It should read Adventurous or Optimistic .......doh :{

Yeah the one my little girl has seen is £12.99 from wilkos, it's not very big but I'm sure it'll do.
Aww her little face will be a picture, she doesn't know what I'm doing yet with the garden or the decking so I'm going to try and sort it all whilst she's at nanna's or her dad's.

As for my grass well the bad weather in December and January killed it, so I've got to do it all from scratch, but the piggies are getting nice grass from my parents:).

I do feel for you and I'm hoping your brothers are going to be working hard to get it done so quickly hehe I was out painting the picket fence the sections off the chickens area yesterday and hardly got any done for the hours I was out there... so not looking forward to having to do a second coat... and praying like anything it doesn't need a third!

LOL I was out first thing this morning painting the 16 fence posts, my brother says they need a good 10 coats of paint, well I did 1 at teatime I've will have got 3 done today, 3 tomorrow and 3 on wednesday.
Then I have 2 other fences to paint before it's all put together this weekend and I've just noticed my other fence needs painting again :{.
My shed needs doing too but that can wait a couple of months until the weather is better so the piggies can go in to the outdoor runs whilst I paint it.
I've got to rake all of the soil and put sand and compost down too before this weekend.
My brother is brilliant and he's always willing to help me do stuff, he won't do it for me but he will help, but I suppose that's good because of him I know how to lay a patio, build a shed, change spark plugs and leads and loads of other stuff including building a fence come this weekend :).

Yep always better to learn it for future reference, in a way we were lucky because our house has a huge garden as there is a train line just down the back of it which is great for space for plants, a big lawn, a veg plot and chickens but a nightmare for maintaining it especially when it comes to painting the fences. My OH's mum came down in November and did a large proportion of the big fence but it needs a second coat and we need to go the bits that weren't done... OH is away this weekend so if it's nice I reckon I'll be on the picket fence again :))

Well I've checked the weather report and it looks good where I am for the next 6 days so that'll take me to sunday so hopefully all the fencing and the grass seed sowing will be done by then.
Then I can swap brothers (or maybe even both of them rolleyes ) and start the decking next weekend yeay :) so when it's all done and dusted including the strange little plastic fence animals that my little un seems to love so much I can just hope for warmer weather so we can get out there and put the garden to use.
I'm lucky that my mum pots all my plants for me (cos I'm useless :red ) and she makes the flower side of the garden look lovely.

we used inheritance from my nan to get a gardener/landscaper in to redesign the garden and pick all the plants etc. He's promised flowers and fragrance but low maintenance so we shall see :))

Ooh I wish I could afford a landscape gardener (& I know one but still can't afford the cheap rate lol) although my garden isn't big.
I have a concrete path in a long upside down L shape with the garden on the inside of it so what I'm doing is putting bamboo fencing all the way round the garden up to the top fence so the grass is enclosed and to get on to it you have to get up some steps and through a gate.
As soon as you get through the gate you go on to some decking and have the option of sitting down on the chairs/swing or walking on to the grass or to the trampoline.
There is another fence and behind that pebbles and a bench which leads to the piggie shed or you can come through the main back gate up the concrete path to another gate to get to the piggie shed.
Basically I can shut the dogs away from the piggie shed, piggie run or even if the kids want to play on the grass or I can shut the dogs on the grass (when it grows lol) and clean the piggies out without my Bichon frise running off with dirty fleeces.

That all sounds pretty cool, useful and designed for you and your family. I'm not sure a designer would have done any better anyhow!

I've just dug up the ancient sprawling lavender bushes and will be replacing those with young smaller ones. I like the smell of lavender. The old ones were simply taking over, they had grown huge despite being cut back a lot - it just seemed to encourage them!

Best of luck with it all!

Well the fence posts are cemented in, and I decided to use bamboo screening as the fence panels as it'd be cheaper so they're up ready to be attatched.
The landscaping material is down and parts have been covered with ornemental stones.
I've decided against decking and a patio and imstead I have purchased wood panels to make a box which I'm filling with more ornemental stones to create a patio.
The garden has been raked ready for the grass seed in a few days, all I have left to do is paint a little more wood, attatch some more bamboo panels to the back fence, screw a fence to the posts and lay some more stones ...phew
that's tomorrows jobs lol.
My brother just has to make me 2 gates and then I'm all sorted, so I'm guessing another 2 weeks and it'll be finished.
Oooh and when it's all done I'm spraying my shed with a new spray gun I've bought.

Then sit back and wait for my nice new grass :)

Last edited:
its the best time of year to put down seed, from march onwards the ground is warm enough to promote growth. I have to re-seed mine each year as the dog manages to churn up the wettest areas and the grass gets ruined so I repair the winter damage. Keep the seed watered every day (unless it rains) for a good week and it will sprout up. I learnt this the hard way, plonked it down one year and nothing happened, the next time I watered daily (just a sprinkle) and it shot up in no time.

I hate having to wait for things lol (god I sound like a spoilt child) just want it finished now so my little girl can have the nice garden she wants plus I wanna see my piggies back out on a lovely green lawn.
Sounds really sad but everyones been mowing their lawns today and I couldn't :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back