• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Advice about getting a dog please!

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We are getting a dog!

At the moment it is still a theoretical dog! That is, we don't have anything definite yet because I'm having minor surgery on my foot (again) in Sept so we want to wait until I can drive again six weeks later. But we're definitely getting a dog after that to help with our autistic daughter's confidence (and, hopefully, get her outdoors a bit more.)

The plan is not to let the dog be in the same room as the piggies, but just in case someone leaves a door open, I've raised the piggies' cage off the ground as in the pic below.

We're also planning to replace all the carpet downstairs with hard flooring, thinking that'll be easier to clean up?

And....?

Please spam me with advice, experience, ideas - where else can I find people who have guinea pigs AND dogs!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2302.JPG

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
We are getting a dog!

At the moment it is still a theoretical dog! That is, we don't have anything definite yet because I'm having minor surgery on my foot (again) in Sept so we want to wait until I can drive again six weeks later. But we're definitely getting a dog after that to help with our autistic daughter's confidence (and, hopefully, get her outdoors a bit more.)

The plan is not to let the dog be in the same room as the piggies, but just in case someone leaves a door open, I've raised the piggies' cage off the ground as in the pic below.

We're also planning to replace all the carpet downstairs with hard flooring, thinking that'll be easier to clean up?

And....?

Please spam me with advice, experience, ideas - where else can I find people who have guinea pigs AND dogs!

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 119180
I don’t personally have any advise as I don’t have a dog but I know @Lady Kelly has just got a puppy

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I got piggies after my dog. And I've got my cage on a "folding craft table" you can fit a 5x2 on a 6ft table completely. Or a 6x2 if half a grid overhangs each end. I've got wee curtains round the base to hide supplies. And it's a Jack Russell terrier I've got but he's not interested in the piggies, in fact he's a bit scared of them. Lol 😂 (old pic when it was split in half for 2 separate boars) received_433747890747490.jpeg

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just got a cockapoo puppy but our piggies are outdoors. They are kept in a separate part of the garden and at the moment Archer is only allowed to have a closer look at the hutch during their feeding time when I am present. I am hoping introducing him at such a young age will mean he just accepts them though I would never let him go face to face other than through the bars. We invested in a "simple solution: extreme stain and odor remover" spray from Amazon. We've had the puppy 2 weeks now and we've gone through nearly a full bottle but he is pretty much doing all his toilets outdoors now so it's being used less and less

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have two terrier mixes and got my piggies after we had had the dogs for years. One dog is 15 and doesn’t have the energy to care about the piggies. My Yorkie-westie was really interested in the piggies at first. He has calmed down but I have the piggies on long banquet tables and we have a baby gate in the doorway to the piggie room. The dogs have calmed down enough to where I can hold a guinea pig in the same room as them and they don’t really care. I have never let them get closer than a few feet away and only when I am holding them. I feel like maybe they would be ok if I took the baby gate down, but I’m not taking any chances!

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Is the dog going to be trained to be a service dog/emotional support dog for your daughter? I have seen animals do wonders for children with autism (trained dogs or just family pets)!

Hadams33

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have a pitbull and Guinea pigs. They are in a C&C cage on a stand. She doesn’t bother them sometimes boops their noses through the bars with her nose. If you are getting a puppy definitely get some type of urine enzyme cleaner for accidents!

Sophie B

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a Cavachon and my two boys, I just don’t really let my dog into the room my boys are in (my bedroom)
She’s nice but very excitable so could do them damage without really knowing. It really depends on the dog you get I think

jayne

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a bichon frise /Jack Russell and she does mine but i had to watch her when I brong the rabbit in , but has long as you walk the dog to wear its energy down and alot of patience you will be fine
That's what I have my dog for ( autism ) DSCN0732.JPGDSCN0932.JPG)

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is the dog going to be trained to be a service dog/emotional support dog for your daughter? I have seen animals do wonders for children with autism (trained dogs or just family pets)!
I would have liked to get a trained one from Dogs for Good but their waiting list is so long they have closed it!

So it'll mainly be a companion and an encouragement to get off the sofa, which she really needs at the mo. Her older sister also shows autistic traits & will benefit in similar ways so I think it'll be great.

I'm nervous about how to find it though, having seen on the news today about the increase in puppy farms! One of the breeds we're thinking about is Cavalier King Charles, as it seems to tick all our boxes (not too vocal or jumpy-up but affectionate and intelligent.)

Probably we'll go for a kc-registered breeder!

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would have liked to get a trained one from Dogs for Good but their waiting list is so long they have closed it!

So it'll mainly be a companion and an encouragement to get off the sofa, which she really needs at the mo. Her older sister also shows autistic traits & will benefit in similar ways so I think it'll be great.

I'm nervous about how to find it though, having seen on the news today about the increase in puppy farms! One of the breeds we're thinking about is Cavalier King Charles, as it seems to tick all our boxes (not too vocal or jumpy-up but affectionate and intelligent.)

Sadly puppy farmers are becoming more sneaky and even hiring in dogs that look like they could be mum so people think everything is fine. They even rent houses to sell the puppies from. 😢.
I think the registered breeders are all on a list on kennel club website.
The only way you'd 100% avoid a puppy farm dog is to go to a rescue centre. Most rescues know their dogs so may suggest a suitable calm dog, also you've not got any surprises on how bouncy or hyper they are as an adult.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Also want to add its not all old dogs they sometimes have younger ones or puppies in too.

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly puppy farmers are becoming more sneaky and even hiring in dogs that look like they could be mum so people think everything is fine. They even rent houses to sell the puppies from. 😢.
I think the registered breeders are all on a list on kennel club website.
The only way you'd 100% avoid a puppy farm dog is to go to a rescue centre. Most rescues know their dogs so may suggest a suitable calm dog, also you've not got any surprises on how bouncy or hyper they are as an adult.
Yes, my instinct is to go for a rescue (mainly cos they are likely to be housetrained, I'll admit!) but in practice virtually all the rescue dogs on RSPCA and Dogs Trust and local rescue websites are either -
- for adult-only homes (and I phoned and asked, there's no flexibility on this)
- or lurchers, greyhounds, etc which would be stupid to put in the same house as a guinea pig because of their superhigh prey/chase drive.

Here's the KC registered breeder list. It shows which ones they have visited and fully checked out. There's also a "find a puppy" page where these breeders post their new litters, so I'm thinking this may be the way to go.

Find breeders of puppies registered with the Kennel Club’s Assured Breeder Scheme (KCAB)

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, my instinct is to go for a rescue (mainly cos they are likely to be housetrained, I'll admit!) but in practice virtually all the rescue dogs on RSPCA and Dogs Trust and local rescue websites are either -
- for adult-only homes (and I phoned and asked, there's no flexibility on this)
- or lurchers, greyhounds, etc which would be stupid to put in the same house as a guinea pig because of their superhigh prey/chase drive.

Here's the KC registered breeder list. It shows which ones they have visited and fully checked out. There's also a "find a puppy" page where these breeders post their new litters, so I'm thinking this may be the way to go.

Find breeders of puppies registered with the Kennel Club’s Assured Breeder Scheme (KCAB)
That is a very good website to use if the breed is a KC recognised breed. I wouldn't have found my breeders on there as Cockapoos aren't recognised as a breed by KC. There's some really helpful tips online for questions to ask and things to look out for though

Sophie B

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

I have a Cavachon which is part Cavalier and part Bichon!

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score

That is a great breed, there are several in the therapy pet organization that I work with. They are so sweet and have to be smart and well behaved to be able to pass the therapy dog evaluation.

guineapigz88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 Cavalier King Charles dogs, they really are a lovely natured dog, mine can be quite vocal at times, they really just want to be with their humans all the time, Cavaliers can have heart problems so make sure the breeder you buy from does all the health checks. We had our dogs before we got our piggys and when we first got them the dogs went crazy, they have got used to them now and don,t really take any notice of them but I would never let them get close as I really think they would eat them. Good luck with your new dog, I could never be without a Cavalier.

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 Cavalier King Charles dogs, they really are a lovely natured dog, mine can be quite vocal at times, they really just want to be with their humans all the time, Cavaliers can have heart problems so make sure the breeder you buy from does all the health checks. We had our dogs before we got our piggys and when we first got them the dogs went crazy, they have got used to them now and don,t really take any notice of them but I would never let them get close as I really think they would eat them. Good luck with your new dog, I could never be without a Cavalier.
Thanks, that's really helpful.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Aww lovely my aunt had two cavalier king Charles when we were growing up and they were such lovely dogs

4GorgeousGuineas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just chiming in a little regarding cavaliers, my family have had 5 of them over the years and they are prone to heart problems, also syringomyelia can be an issue and it really is a very painful condition. My suggestion would be a different spaniel of some sort, we’ve also had a lot of springers and cockers over the years and they have all had the softest of temperaments, they do need a regular exercise though as they can be bouncy.