• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice needed on feeding today please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

I have posted about my piggie fudge on Saturday about him being ill with a chest infection.

He is on antibiotics x2 daily

He is really not interested in his food and i have read on posts about syringe feeding.

1/ what food do you do it with and how do you mash it up

d2/ i read you can give baby food / what make and flavour please / and do you warm it up before giving.

I would appreciate answers today as i will look up the post on my lunch at work and go to the shops.

Thanks

Claire W

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Hello :) You can get something called Critical Care from your vets which is a formula for syringe feeding or some people mash up guinea pig pellets with some warm water and syringe feed. I'm afraid I do not know how much you should give though. It is true that you can feed warm baby food but again, I am not sure on the quantity. Good luck, I hope fudge starts to feel better soon xx

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry your pig is unwell. Is he on probiotics as well as the AB's? This will help balance the gut flora and can go a long way towards restoring appetite. I have fed either Recovery, Critical Care or mushed up pellets through a 1ml/1.5ml syringe, just made up to a very loose consistency. You can also spoon feed if you make the mixture a little thicker. Jars of veggie baby food are ok, but I think initially the guinea pig stuff is better. Laura has a good fact sheet and hopefully will be on soon and give you a lot more help than I can. For some reading material until then though, this is worth a look:
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
x

Status
Not open for further replies.