• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice on New Guinea pigs

Kash

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i went to the pet shop two days ago to purchase two guinea pigs(there were none left at my nearby rescue) but I ended up getting just one.the next day I went back for her cage mate and I don’t know if I still have to bond them.for the night,I separated the cage with a plastic divider so they were still able to see each other and communicate.do I still reintroduce them or just remove the divider?

Welcome to the forum.
You could try letting them play out together on neutral territory as you would do if you were bonding.
As they have been cagemates and not separated for long it may not be a problem.

Just be sure they are both females before reintroducing them.

As they have come from a pet store you might want to consider a vet check as well.

Have s read of the bonding threads and the guides for new owners- lots of helpful advice there.

Please can we have pictures

How has it gone?

They instantly bonded and I have began to hand feed them but every time I try to stroke or pick them up they ran away what do I do?

They instantly bonded and I have began to hand feed them but every time I try to stroke or pick them up they ran away what do I do?

Hi and welcome!

That is totally normal. Many people think that guinea pigs are natural born cuddly pet - that is not the case. they are prey animals and need to get slowly used to a home environment. Pet shop piggies come from a commercial supply mass breeder and haven't had any friendly human interaction before they are being sold as pets.

If your piggies are picking up food from you, then that is actually really. Picking up is cutting very close to prey instincts and petting when free walking is very much a matter of trust and not something that piggy that is not frozen with fear will let you do until it is very comfortable with you; many piggies would rather you didn't if given the choice.

You may find this link here helpful. The forum guides in there give you an understanding of how things look for your piggies, how prey animal instincts function, how you can work around them and make friends with them in their own language and how you can train them to pick them up, carry them and weigh them safely. Tips for introducing lap time are also included: Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

This is just one section of our more comprehensive new owners guide which addresses specifically all the areas we get the most questions and concerns about from new owners together with some vital information to avoid problems in the longer term: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Be patient, allow your babies to get their bearings, establish a new group in their new home and make friends slowly. Trust is a tender plant that needs to make deep roots first before it will grow.

If you want piggies used to handling and a home environment straight away, then I would recommend looking for a good standard rescue with a mandatory quarantine, vet care and pregnancy watch; they are full of no longer wanted ex-pets looking for a loving and committed forever home where you do not have to do the whole work from scratch. ;)

Glad the bonding went well.
They sound as if they’re happy if they’re taking food from you.
None of mine like being picked up and with Phoebe it took nearly 6 months before she’d let me stroke her.
Be patient

Back