Advice on pairing up boars please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Points
380
I've got a 5 month old boar and Gemma has rescued a 9 week old one and we're wondering if they can be paired up. I understand an older boar can be paired up with a youngster more easily, however, is mine old enough to try?

Can anyone advise if this is worth trying?

Kathryn xx
 

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
13
Points
490
Location
Birmingham, UK
The baby is a bit on the old side for a successful intro - usually 4 weeks maximum is the best bet.

You could try letting them run together on neutral teritory and see what happens

www.barmy4boars.co.uk has excellent advice on introducing boars.
 
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
4,721
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I agree let them get to know each other carefully then if they do form a bond try them together but watch out for signs of dominance and bullying as well as wounds etc, its not all plain sailing but can be done with the right way of going about it, good luck
 
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
I had 2 rescue boars, one was about 6 months and the other one was at least 3, i paired them together and they get on great. My sister took the 2 rescues on and they are still the best of mates!
 
C

cavykind

In theory if your youngster is well grown and healthy, I'd give it a go. Remember quarantine issues, blah, blah...

I usually:
Introduce on neutral territory so they aren't forced immediately "into each others face."
Provide as big a pen as possible.
If an existing pen, wash and change bedding.
Provide two water and feed bowls.
Place loads of hay in pen for them to burrow under.
Scatter fresh greens to distract them when you put them back in pen.
Provide hidey holes ie boxes, cabins, igloos so they can each have their own bed if they want it.
Keep away from sows.
Some people bath, dab with heaven knows what, I never have so can't advocate this ::)
Observe carefully, if serious fighting ie broken skin, straight out.
In my experience, they either will..or won't get on...simple as :-\

I'm sure other people will have their own thoughts!

Barbara

*The only reason I would bath a male is if he had been in with a female, though this should hopefully rarely be the case.
If your 5 month male has been bred from be especially careful as he may be especially frisky with the baby :(
 
G

gothchick1515

Eddie was 8 weeks when we put him with Zub and they hit it off, Harry was 10 weeks and they didnt so it might be a hit or miss situation for u, find neutral territory and put them together but stay nearby with a towel so u can interveen if they fight, they will rumble and shake there booties but thats ok if they teeth chatter seperate them otherwise dont, i did this with Eddie for a day and they played together for hours and he moved in two days later, when Harry met Zubin he teeth chattered him then bit me though i personally think Harry was older than they said in the shop as he was MASSIVE! I know Kelly put Guinea with Tonic at 4 weeks but for me this wasnt possible and foudn that at 8 weeks Eddie was fine and so was Zubin, though Guineas all have different personalities so noone can tell you how they well react for definate, if you have vicks put a little on there noses so they smell that and that might help. good luck
 
C

cavykind

starshine said:
The baby is a bit on the old side for a successful intro - usually 4 weeks maximum is the best bet.

I respect your opinion but I think 4 weeks is way to young! Not saying you are wrong (though I wouldn't do it), in fact it's fascinating to hear everyone elses thoughts and experiences :)

But babies are soooo... tiny at 4 weeks, I wouldn't let them out of my sight. I don't even re-home any of mine until approx 8 weeks and many go on to live happily with boars. It's more down to temperament than age in my opinion and experience.

Barbara
 

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
13
Points
490
Location
Birmingham, UK
I think you probably are saying I'm wrong but we all have different opinions. 4 weeks is what is usually recommended if the boar is a mature one that would otherwise be hard to pair up. A lot of people recommend 3 weeks as soon as babies come away from Mum. Personally I will not home a pig that young but I have had a baby boar come to me at that age and paired him to a former breeding boar who was extremely lonely.

Some babies are tiny at 4 weeks but I have also had some very big pigs at the same age. Some babies stay with me long beyond 8 weeks while others will be raring to go by then - I don't go by age - size and health are far more important. Like people pigs are all different!
 
C

cavykind

starshine said:
I think you probably are saying I'm wrong but we all have different opinions. 4 weeks is what is usually recommended if the boar is a mature one that would otherwise be hard to pair up. A lot of people recommend 3 weeks as soon as babies come away from Mum. Personally I will not home a pig that young but I have had a baby boar come to me at that age and paired him to a former breeding boar who was extremely lonely.

Some babies are tiny at 4 weeks but I have also had some very big pigs at the same age. Some babies stay with me long beyond 8 weeks while others will be raring to go by then - I don't go by age - size and health are far more important. Like people pigs are all different!

I'm saying that while I appreciate you believe you are doing the right thing, I wouldn't do it myself.
I've never read/been told that 4 weeks is the best time to introduce babies and if a boar was "hard to pair up" I'd be especially worried about introducing any baby, never mind a tiny one just weaned from his mum.
At the end of the day, we live and learn and I wouldn't personally follow advice that I felt to be wrong.

Do remember that if you introduce a newly weaned baby, taken from mum, he is likely to be harassed mercilessly by boar that thinks his new cage mate is a sow. Bathing may prevent this, but surely no one would advocate bathing a 3 wek old babe for this reason?

I don't know a rescue in the UK that rehomes 3 week old babies?

Barbara
 
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
4,721
Reaction score
0
Points
0
cavykind said:
starshine said:
The baby is a bit on the old side for a successful intro - usually 4 weeks maximum is the best bet.

I respect your opinion but I think 4 weeks is way to young! Not saying you are wrong (though I wouldn't do it), in fact it's fascinating to hear everyone elses thoughts and experiences :)

But babies are soooo... tiny at 4 weeks, I wouldn't let them out of my sight. I don't even re-home any of mine until approx 8 weeks and many go on to live happily with boars. It's more down to temperament than age in my opinion and experience.
Barbara
I totally agree its some thing I have said all along, temprement rather then anything else is what makes a succesful pairing of boys, and 4 weeks is very very young too young in fact,
 
C

cavykind

michellemuffin said:
cavykind said:
starshine said:
The baby is a bit on the old side for a successful intro - usually 4 weeks maximum is the best bet.

I respect your opinion but I think 4 weeks is way to young! Not saying you are wrong (though I wouldn't do it), in fact it's fascinating to hear everyone elses thoughts and experiences :)

But babies are soooo... tiny at 4 weeks, I wouldn't let them out of my sight. I don't even re-home any of mine until approx 8 weeks and many go on to live happily with boars. It's more down to temperament than age in my opinion and experience.
Barbara
I totally agree its some thing I have said all along, temprement rather then anything else is what makes a succesful pairing of boys, and 4 weeks is very very young too young in fact,

Very, very true, I've bonded adult rescue males with ease, then struggled and once or twice failed with younger ones that I hoped would be a doddle ::)
Guess that's part of the "fun" with guinea pig boars...they like to keep us on our toes ;D

Barbara
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top