• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice to help heal a sick piggie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,
So I just wanted to ask what are some things i can do to help speed /aid my poor little pig sick with pnuemonia?

I have a heating pad under his box and been dabbing vicks. Its hard gettibg him to eat properly as well as drink properly. I was thinking to making some plain peppermint tea and make him drink some of it through a syringe to help his stomach and overall sickness. I think the antibiotics made him feel slightly icky so I'm hoping it helps his lungs as well as stomach.

I'm just scared. Hes so young and i just got him. Its something he picked up from the store and the vet said this kind of stuff is 50/50 chance for full recovery. I just want to hear all of your opinions and advice because I dont want to lose him!
:(

Thanks everyone

Hi Keely

Hope he's getting better. I lost one to pneumonia when it was a baby, it really is 50 / 50

I would concentrate on syringing food, liquid is hard enough to syringe an adult pig withoout it going to the lungs, so concentrate on getting food into him.

Heat pad yep that's good, lots of hay.

If you can get hold of a probioticthat would also be beneficial during the antibiotic time for restoring the gut.

Hope he's okay
x

ive lost to pneumonia too, take real good care of him, keep warm, plenty of food and water and definately no draughts!

Hope he makes it through for you xxxxxx

Hi
Sorry to hear this. Have given my own piggies hay water when they are not feeding well. Soak some Timothy hay (or similar) in water for a few hours and give with a syringe. The goodness from the hay is in the water and it helps with any dehydration.
Good luck, hope all is well.

I too have lost a piggie to pneumonia :(

I personally would not give him peppermint tea but stick with syringing water/hay water/mushed pellets.

Keep him cosy and lots of cuddles x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back